Powder River Fishing

J

joesnuffy

The Powder River flows threw Baker City. It's stockes yearly and is over fished with most people keeping what they catch. (I'm a C&R guy) :p

I was shocked to catch this fat guy last night on a Royal Coachman using my #4 TFO rod. Estimated 16" and a couple lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Nice fish must have been fun on a 4 weight! Do you ever fish the Burnt river? I have driven by it for years on trips to Ontario and Boise. I was coming back from Boise about two weeks ago and when driving by Lime and Weartherby I kept checking the river out but din't see anyone fishing it. Always thought it would be a good little river for a light fly rod. Irishrover

J

joesnuffy

The Burnt river isn't a very good river to fish. Small fish that are few and far between. At least on that end of it. You can fish the mouth where it flows into the Snake R. Bass Carp Trout and Cats are there.

If you follow the Burnt upstream the Unity Res. There are lots fo big fish up there.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Thanks for the info... I have always wondered about it, now I won't have the urge to pull over and try to fish that piece of water.

F

flyguy33

i live in baker and just started to fly fish caught some nice trout in the powdder but i dont know wat a good fly to use in the powder is if u have any i would be happy if u told me

J

joesnuffy

You can catch a fish an almost anything in the powder river but I'd never go without these 3 flies in my box.

Royal Coachman
Elk Hair Caddis
Phesant Tail Nymph

Welcome to OFF and to Fly Fishing!

F

flyguy33

ya i caught a 13 inch today off a royal coachman but do u have any recomended places to go that r good places to catch good size ones

F

flyguy33

ive been fishing in town i caught all of them under trees with a roylal coachman and a nat

J

joesnuffy

can you make it up to the weight station just south of town (on way to Sumpter) there are some decent fish in that area and not many ppl fish it.

F

flyguy33

ok is there a hole right back behind the weight staiton that i should look for

F

flyguy33

today i drove up to the dam and caught a 15 and 17 inch trout do you fish at hughes lane at all? if u do is it any good