Possible fishing this weekend???

M
michigan_transplant
I normally go fishing every weekend. Between the river or a lake I can find some place that is primed for me. Well most all rivers look like they're going to be unfishable, the Alsea is supposed to be a few feet from flood stage. And there haven't been any fish stocked in the local lakes in a while (three weeks since Walter Wirth.

Question is lets say you HAD to go fishing on Sunday within an hour of the Corvallis area, where would it be??

I was thinking about checking out some coastal lakes, haven't been stocked in a while but might have some holdovers.

brandon4455
brandon4455
idk,but for sure a lake is the best bet, i am going to walter irth in the morning.. there are still quite a few fish n there..big ones too. just pick one that does not have a lot of large tributaries that way it isn't brown,full of leaves and looks like an un flushed toilet. i'm hoping the fish will be a bit more active since it's only suppose to drop to 46 degrees thats not too cold.

Last edited:
C
capblack
1 hour from corvallis? without a doubt i would hit green peter. it is absolutely impossible to have a bad day at green peter, ive been trying for years. and you might just catch some fish too. Brian

brandon4455
brandon4455
capblack said:
1 hour from corvallis? without a doubt i would hit green peter. it is absolutely impossible to have a bad day at green peter, ive been trying for years. and you might just catch some fish too. Brian

i think ill second that,ive caught trout in all types of conditions there, the smallmouth fishery isn't that bad ths time of year... grey roostertail kills em there

C
capblack
of course i would only consider gp an option if your fishing from a boat, as the res is around 933 ft right now where full pool is around 995, so you can launch at thistle creek, but bank fishing is limited. my avatar was taken at gp where the level was around 980 to 985 ft. Brian

Last edited:
M
michigan_transplant
capblack said:
of course i would only consider gp an option if your fishing from a boat, as the res is around 933 ft right now where full pool is around 995, so you can launch at thistle creek, but bank fishing is limited. Brian

no boat, and i normally only go up to GP when the kokes are going strong. beautiful up there though.

C
capblack
how do you fish for kokes with no boat?

M
michigan_transplant
float tube.

C
capblack
michigan_transplant said:
no boat, and i normally only go up to GP when the kokes are going strong. beautiful up there though.

o.k. then, no boat, It may be a little closer to 1 1/2 hours, but my second choice would be a little res below detroit. dont tell anyone, but there are some HUGE trout in there. the best thing is to get there at first light and fish as close to the deadline as possible. blown worms or cocktail shrimp off the bottom. this is where i would go if i didn't have a boat. of course Im not very familiar with your area, but here are some choices. myself, will be chasing elk with a bow in my left hand. good luck whatever you chose, Brian

M
michigan_transplant
capblack said:
o.k. then, no boat, It may be a little closer to 1 1/2 hours, but my second choice would be a little res below detroit. dont tell anyone, but there are some HUGE trout in there. the best thing is to get there at first light and fish as close to the deadline as possible. blown worms or cocktail shrimp off the bottom. this is where i would go if i didn't have a boat. of course Im not very familiar with your area, but here are some choices. myself, will be chasing elk with a bow in my left hand. good luck whatever you chose, Brian

Thanks, and good luck with the Elk

C
capblack
michigan_transplant said:
float tube.

sweet!! jigging around the booms?? i may have to try that some time, i mostly troll, but jigging can be very enjoyable when they school up around the booms.

M
michigan_transplant
thats exactly it. some corn, some buzz bombs and jigs. gotta get there before the wind though.

troutdude
troutdude
LOL. Yep, that wind really kicks up on GP. It would be REALLY difficult in a tube.

Olalla Reservoir should have holdovers, and maybe even some leftover steel.

Alton Baker Canal in Eugene, has a lot of trout in it right now.

Sheridan Pond got some big brooders last week. Only 50. But, it's not a big pond either (maybe 3/4 of an acre).

Walter Wirth has gotten a LOT of fish lately. Some BIG brooders, some "larger" sized and some "legal" size too.

If you'd like to do something different, you can try crappie fishing OFF the dam @ Fern Ridge Reservoir.

M
michigan_transplant
troutdude said:
LOL. Yep, that wind really kicks up on GP. It would be REALLY difficult in a tube.

Olalla Reservoir should have holdovers, and maybe even some leftover steel.

Alton Baker Canal in Eugene, has a lot of trout in it right now.

Sheridan Pond got some big brooders last week. Only 50. But, it's not a big pond either (maybe 3/4 of an acre).

Walter Wirth has gotten a LOT of fish lately. Some BIG brooders, some "larger" sized and some "legal" size too.

If you'd like to do something different, you can try crappie fishing OFF the dam @ Fern Ridge Reservoir.

Thanks TD. I might give Olalla a try. It's always been one of my favs and Im moving to Portland soon and it might be the last time I'm able to head out there for a while.

C
cddunn
I was hoping you'd try Olalla. I'd like to know if one could still launch a boat there. Good luck!

M
michigan_transplant
cddunn said:
I was hoping you'd try Olalla. I'd like to know if one could still launch a boat there. Good luck!

are you talking about cause the res gets so low?? last time i was there i had to walk WAYYYY down the bank to put my float tube in.

troutdude
troutdude
MT, sorry to see that you're moving away from here. May I suggest, that you plan to hit Henry Hagg Lake (east of Hillsboro) on the season opener? It should open, on the first Saturday in March. I will be there w/ my two rod license and probably my dad's boat (or w/ a buddy in his).

Olalla has been low indeed; but it may be back up to where a boat could be launched. A call to Toledo City Public Works, can likely answer your question. I'm planning a trip there in February. But, it's pretty low in Feb. too (at least it was this year).

M
michigan_transplant
Thanks TD, I was just starting to learn all the hot spots down here so I was kinda bummed about leaving.....luckily I know this pretty sweet fishing forum where the people will tell me where I should be fishing in Portland!!! :)

PS ill be at hagg lake for sure, hear great things about that place.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome buddy. I'm glad that you discovered the Alsea, while you were here. My dad & I fished it during my entire youth. But, you'll find some nice places up north too.

Stay in touch. I know a great hot spot on NFR (north fork reservoir). Maybe we can hit that on the opener.

M
michigan_transplant
sounds like a plan