Portland in September

T
Texcobb99
Hi All,

I have a conference planned next year in Portland in mid September. I would like to take a couple extra days and bring my fishing gear to try my luck for Steelhead\Salmon. I know it's a lil early, but want to plan for a successful trip. From what I read it appears I am late or early for most fishing seasons. True? Can you give me an idea what to target and what bodies of water to target? I would like to hit one of your beautiful streams.

I currently fish in the Great Lakes tribs in Ohio, PA, And NY. Mostly use egg sacs, single eggs, beads, and fly's\patterns under a float. Could I expect to use the same techniques?

Thanks in advance for any help.:):)

O
osmosis
you can get late summer steelhead and coho salmon on many of the rivers in september with those same tactics you do at home.
Some streams have chinook in them in september but many have coho and old steel.

Since you'll be in portland you should go check out the clackamas and sandy rivers. They are mid size rivers that are easy to read and fish.

D
DirectDrive
Texcobb99 said:
Hi All,Hi All,

I have a conference planned next year in Portland in mid September. I would like to take a couple extra days and bring my fishing gear to try my luck for Steelhead\Salmon. I know it's a lil early, but want to plan for

I have a conference planned next year in Portland in mid September. I would like to take a couple extra days and bring my fishing gear to try my luck for Steelhead\Salmon. I know it's a lil early, but want to plan for a successful trip. From what I read it appears I am late or early for most fishing seasons. True? Can you give me an idea what to target and what bodies of water to target? I would like to hit one of your beautiful streams.

I currently fish in the Great Lakes tribs in Ohio, PA, And NY. Mostly use egg sacs, single eggs, beads, and fly's\patterns under a float. Could I expect to use the same techniques?

Thanks in advance for any help.:):)
Whomever wrote that piece has a poor understanding of PNW run timings.
September is actually my favorite month of the year because I like to chase summer steelhead. The greatest steelhead highway on the planet, the Columbia River is full of steelhead and the fall Chinook run is gaining steam.

If the Columbia has steelhead moving, then so do its tributaries.

My favorite place in Sept is the legendary Deschutes River. You can use your float techniques (no bait) or brush up on fishing fast water with weighted spinners. It is the holy grail and it is peaks during Sept.
The best read is Spinner Fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and Trout by Jed Davis. Grab a copy, it will help flatten the learning curve.

The other steelhead spinner guru is Jim Bedford, one of your homers from the Midwest. He writes for STS.

There are also a host of other fisheries going such as slivers (coho) and small mouth bass....you name it. Be careful, you might not go back.

Last edited:
T
Texcobb99
Thanks, any more.

Thanks, any more.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have been to the area several times, and already love the state. I hate going back every time, although PA is also a pretty state.

I will look into your advice, and buy that book. I can use all the help i can get!

M
mizzle
too late this time