Poor dog

B

bigdog

So I went fishing with Eggs on his new drift boat today, while we are out fishing I get a text from my wife that I need to call her. So I call her and come to find out our 14 year old manage to get one of our dogs tails slammed in the door. It was hard enough that it cut off the end of his tail, about a inch and a half of it and it is back far enough to where the bone is sticking out. Had the bleeding stopped for about a hour then when he gets happy (witch is all the time) and start wagging his tail hits it on things and makes it start bleeding again. I have never seen so much blood come out of such a small area.

Well this leads us to taking him to the vet. The vet tells us that the only way that it will ever heal good is for them to have to cut back and remover more of the poor guys tail. He is such a happy dog the vets had to give him meds to come him down to get him to stop wagging his tail so much so they could get it to stop bleeding and get it covered for the moment. Our whole kitchen is covered in blood and I mean covered that took about a hour to clean up.

Well we decided that while they have him under and are going to be doing tail surgery that we might as well get him fixed at the same time this way he doesn't have to go through being under twice. So all together here goes another $1000 we DO NOT have to spend and the poor dog gets to loose part of his tail and his balls both in the same day.

Oh and to top it all off we didn't even get to get in to any fish today either.

M

mgdguy

That is terrible! :shock: Sorry for the poor dog and all of you that had to deal with it. And I'm sure the kid feels terrible as well.

And the no fish part stinks too. We got stunked today as well.

B

bigsteel

,,sorry about the dog bro,,,,,,,hell be a lot tougher:pray::pray:

B

bigdog

Oh trust me he is a tough boy after he got past the shock of it happening and shacking like crazy ( this is what I was told I was not home for this part) he was back to wagging his tail and acting like nothing ever happened til he hits it on something.

It is hard for us to go through and yes the child feels real bad about it to.
All in all he will be ok just sucks for the poor boy to have to go through something like that.

I think all humans can learn something from animals on this, no matter what they go through in life lose of part of a tail, loose a eye or leg or something, they still remain happy and don't fall on a pity party so to speak.

B

bigdog

Oh and to top it all off we didn't even get to get in to any fish today either.

Um that would be a big no :lol: we did see one took from a guides boat but that was with five people in that boat and thats all we saw and we drifted from dabney to lews.

A

autofisher

Gotta feel bad for a dog that loses both tails. HAHA. Poor guy. Guess it's one way to get some attention.

B

bigdog

Oh he was getting so much attention from all the girls working at the vets office it wasn't even funny and he was living it up to no end to. Loving it so much they had to dope him up to get him to stop wagging his tail so fast and hard, licking the heck out of all of them.

B

bigdog

Well we got him back this morning he is doing good. They are having us keep him nice and doped up. He ended up loosing about 5 inches of his tail all together but is doing good so far. Hard to keep the other dogs off him and all but we are doing it just a good amount of work though.

B

bigsteel

:clap::clap::clap::clap:good to hear hes out and chilllin at home......

J

JeannaJigs

aww poor dog. We had a cat when I was a kid that had a similar experience, only we didn't take it to the vet...probably should have...it was never the same after that, but, cat's are evil creatures to begin with so there wasn't much to work with from the get go. I'm sure your dog will be just fine when it's all healed up. Be careful though, my pitbull has a long skinny whip of a tail that she used to whip around so hard when she got excited, it would split open and bleed...blood splotches all over the walls...a few times it looked like a person was murdered. Still happens during the summer months for some reason, I guess her skin dries out or something and is more prone to splitting like that....but when it does that it takes a while to heal, so your dog's might take a while.

B

bigdog

aww poor dog. We had a cat when I was a kid that had a similar experience, only we didn't take it to the vet...probably should have...it was never the same after that, but, cat's are evil creatures to begin with so there wasn't much to work with from the get go. I'm sure your dog will be just fine when it's all healed up. Be careful though, my pitbull has a long skinny whip of a tail that she used to whip around so hard when she got excited, it would split open and bleed...blood splotches all over the walls...a few times it looked like a person was murdered. Still happens during the summer months for some reason, I guess her skin dries out or something and is more prone to splitting like that....but when it does that it takes a while to heal, so your dog's might take a while.

Yeah he is going to be fine when all said and done. The vet already warned us it is going to take a while for it to heal. The reason we had to take him in is because we couldn't get the bleeding to stop for anything. It is comon for pitts to have dry skin and other skin prolems. You moght ask the pet store for some kind of shampoo that might help. Just don't buy anything hartz.

J

JeannaJigs

Lol hartz is terrible no matter what it is. I've got some medicated shampoo with moisturizers I use on her about every 2 weeks, and it helps. She also eats better than I do on very expensive but very good dog food that has improved her coat, so I think that's made a difference because she used to split it anytime during the year, but now it seems to just be during the summer when it's dry and hot and she's outside sunning herself.

Good luck with the healing! I don't know how tolerant your dog is, but I used to wrap my girl's tail with gauze, a sock, and then duct tape to absorb some of the shock when she whips it around while trying to allow it to heal. Looks so special ed lol, but it worked.

B

bigdog

Lol hartz is terrible no matter what it is. I've got some medicated shampoo with moisturizers I use on her about every 2 weeks, and it helps. She also eats better than I do on very expensive but very good dog food that has improved her coat, so I think that's made a difference because she used to split it anytime during the year, but now it seems to just be during the summer when it's dry and hot and she's outside sunning herself.

Good luck with the healing! I don't know how tolerant your dog is, but I used to wrap my girl's tail with gauze, a sock, and then duct tape to absorb some of the shock when she whips it around while trying to allow it to heal. Looks so special ed lol, but it worked.

Well he hasn't tried to take off the one the vets put on yet but that could have something to do with him being loaded the whole time so far lol. It's not to much him I worry about when it comes to something staying on him, it's more the other three I worry about trying to take it off him lol.

Yeah ours eat better then we do to trust me I know what you mean. We feed them a mix of the good life and blue.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Good luck with the healing! I don't know how tolerant your dog is, but I used to wrap my girl's tail with gauze, a sock, and then duct tape to absorb some of the shock when she whips it around while trying to allow it to heal. Looks so special ed lol, but it worked.[/QUOTE]

bigdog;
I think Jeanna has a good idea going there...just don't use the pink Dora socks! :lol::lol: Sorry Jeanna,it was begging to be said after you set it up so perfectly.
Hope your pup has a fast recovery. I know he is in good hands. Plus,they are so resilient for what I call a "heavy" breed. Thick chested and thick boned...thick everywhere. Great dogs. :D

S

Seefood Man

Sorry for ya dog. I bet he will be afraid of doors now. Poor guy will think everytime he go out, he will lose his balls again.

B

bigdog

Sorry for ya dog. I bet he will be afraid of doors now. Poor guy will think everytime he go out, he will lose his balls again.

Yeah I thought that might be the case but turns out he is so hard headed that they don't bother him one bit.

He is doing great one more week of him being doped up and then he gets the stitches took out.