Pontoon problem

M
mgman6000
I bought a used Creek Company 8' pontoon boat and my feet are in the water and the water is cold !!! I thought pontoon boats were supposed to keep you out of the water other than buying waders or rubber boots can I raise the frame somehow to get more clearance ? I only use it on lakes no rivers. I was think about getting some hard foam to raise the frame a few inches.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

You really ought to keep it where it is. The general way to use a toon--as I understand it--is to row into position, and use kick fins to fish. So, waders and fins should be the right way to go. And that is likely why your feet are dangling.

But, I am newbie at that. Maybe others have more "seasoned" suggestions. I'll defer to those w/ experience.

M
mgman6000
My feet aren't dangling my heels are in the water when my feet are on the foot pegs soaking up water I thought your feet should be completely out of the water when they are on the pegs.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Lots of folks but down a platform in front of the seat to keep their feet out of the water. Some go so far as to make them big enough to stand up on. Maybe it depends on how much air you have in the toons...more air = higher out of the water. Just be careful not to over inflate in the warm weather. Otherwise,the only thing I can think to help is wading boots or rubber boots....

I
ICamel49
mgman6000 said:
My feet aren't dangling my heels are in the water when my feet are on the foot pegs soaking up water I thought your feet should be completely out of the water when they are on the pegs.

Is the frame "balanced" on your pontoons so the boat rides level in the water? With your feet on the pegs, your heels should not be in the water.

M
mgman6000
As far as I know it's balanced the bags on the pontoon tops doesn't let the frame go back too far. I know I sound kinda whiney but I'm 65 and don't like cold water!!!
I might put a rail cross the front higher up than the pegs This is the boat......Creek Company :: Pontoon Boats :: #920 - ODC Classic

M
MrsPolebender
ICamel49 said:
Is the frame "balanced" on your pontoons so the boat rides level in the water? With your feet on the pegs, your heels should not be in the water.
My husband is 6'2" and 245lbs ,he needs to slide the frame as far back on the pontoons as far as it will go then adds 10 -20 lbs of weight on the back, usually 10lb anchor on his anchor stay mounted on back and a cooler loaded with liquids and food strapped on the back rack , then his feet dont sit in the water. Also the further in you set the foot pegs the less front heavy you are hope this helps. Looking at the pic you have it is the same as ours ,but the front strap on ours goes through the triangle where the oars go in unlike your picture. That moves the frame back a few inches which might make the difference.

Last edited:
C
Combat Chuck
Its hard to do much with those 8' creek companys. You can adjust the frame towards the rear but you usually still get a little wet. I used to have a 9' fish cat and never got wet... the price tag was also double. Get more when you pay more.

M
mgman6000
Thanks for the info I was thinking abouit putting the straps through the triangle i'll give it a try,I just don't know why they didn't design the boat with the frame higher out of the water in the first palce,maybe a cg issue?

I
ICamel49
mgman6000 said:
As far as I know it's balanced the bags on the pontoon tops doesn't let the frame go back too far. I know I sound kinda whiney but I'm 65 and don't like cold water!!!Creek Company :: Pontoon Boats :: #920 - ODC Classic

It looks like the foot pegs are adjustable. An alternative would be to drill new holes in the foot peg tubing that would allow you to swivel the foot rest upward? Before I did that, I would shift the frame as far back as possible and give that a try. It looks like you could position your front straps in front of the oar mounts for maximum rear movement of the frame.
I am not too far behind you in the age department, and at this stage in our lives we are allowed to be somewhat cranky!;)

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
Don't go modifying your pontoon. I have the same toon except mine is a 9 footer. My feet still get wet but I dont' really care because I use them to paddle around in lakes.

The Toon is designed to carry some weight in the back to balance it. Strap a cooler or something behind you to keep your feet dry. How much weight you need depends on your size so keep adjusting to get it where you need it.

O
OnTheFly
You do not have much clearence from the water in a pontoon boat; 4" on mine. Unless it is a hot day, I will wear my waders and boots or sometimes fins. On hot days I will wear shorts and flip-flops. But you can pretty much count on your heels getting wet unless you have a larger river running type toon with fatter pontoons.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I have an 8' creek co. 'toon, and, in cold water, you really gotta make sure it's inflated full and the weight's balanced, as has been said, or it goes haywire. I built a deck on mine for lake use, but the foot pegs pretty much always equal wet feet, which isn't an ish 'cause I pretty much only use it during the summer months when it's warm, if I ran it down the river for winter steelhead, i had waders.

O
Oregon Knights
I have an 8' and a 10' and in both cases my heels will drag in the water slightly. Most often when I'm using one of my pontoons, I will either wear waders due to the cold air outside. If it's a warm day, I use some hip waders I made from an old pair of breathable waders from years past. I almost always wear fins so I can position myself to where I want to be for fishing, or to aid in landing a fish. The neopreme bootie of the waders definitely helps to minimize any ill affects of the cold water. The hip waders also help for launching and beaching the pontoon without getting wet, but doesn't make me hot in the warmer weather months.
I wouldn't try to raise the frame. Nor would I add a plate or platform to stand on. An 8' pontoon is generally not going to be very stable if you raise the center of gravity much. Then all the effort to get your heels out of the water may be a moot point, since you may end up with a whole body experience with the water. Of course, that may take your mind off your cold heels!!! :)