Pontoon ideas

S
ski0617
hello all! I recently picked up 2 wilderness 13 pontoons and a couple minn kota trolling motors. First is I need batteries for them, need a little help on that. then I am wondering how people set theirs up for fishing? and possibly a folding wheel idea to wheel it to the water. I can pick it up no problem, just thought if I could get a good idea so that I can set It up completely before taking it down to the water instead of making multiple trips for motor, batter, etc. maybe someone can post some pictures on here of their setup! thanks everyone!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Iv never used a trolling motor with a pontoon but Id go for the smallest battery you could get, for weight reasons. Also id keep the trolling motor off if you decide to float rivers, all the weight on the back will make it easier to flip. When fishing with my friends that have toons we'll usually help each other carry the boats to the water if there is a considerable distance to the water or if the ground isn't suited for dragging them. One guy holding the foot rest's and the other on the back of the boat makes it easy to carry even when loaded down.

Irishrover
Irishrover
For setting it up for fishing make sure you have a rod holder. That make it a lot easier to do a lot of things, like row, or drink a beer. An anchor syystem is also a nice option to have.

D
DrTheopolis
For an anchor, a tough bag that you can fill with rocks is convenient, you don't have to haul it down to the river.

B
bagold53
I just bought a couple of used pontoons myself. I took them out to Lost lake to check them out and found quite a few things I am planning on changing. If you havent yet or are like me brand new to pontoons, take them out for a day on a lake to feel how they handle. A few things I learned on my trip, I found that on one pontoons the oars were too short for me or my friend to use effectively, need to go buy some longer ones. Will need new oar locks and an oar stops that fixes the position of the oar blades, they kept rotating on me. I also found were not to put a rod holder, still trying to figure a good place for it. I also want to sit higher and get a more comfortable seat.

My main advise is to take them out and play with them for a couple hours. It can be fun and a great way to learn what you want to modify.

L
Leon Fish
DrTheopolis said:
For an anchor, a tough bag that you can fill with rocks is convenient, you don't have to haul it down to the river.

this works. Look for tough mesh bags like a divers collection bag or, a little less durable are the kind that some oranges and potatoes come in.
dont forget the rope... 550 coord has worked well for me.

1 nut in the water
Leon Fish said:
this works. Look for tough mesh bags like a divers collection bag or, a little less durable are the kind that some oranges and potatoes come in.
dont forget the rope... 550 coord has worked well for me.

Nylon basketball net tied to rope and zip tie a rock in when you get to the water- cut the tie when you are done. No need to ever pack an anchor around!
Nets are real cheap and they dont get hung up or tear.

Reactions: Irishrover
R
radiation
Don't forget that you have to register it if your going to use any kind of motor. Which means that you also have to add the registration numbers and letters. Do a search and you'll find out what I mean. It sucks!!!

T
TTFishon
bagold53 said:
I just bought a couple of used pontoons myself. I took them out to Lost lake to check them out and found quite a few things I am planning on changing. If you havent yet or are like me brand new to pontoons, take them out for a day on a lake to feel how they handle. A few things I learned on my trip, I found that on one pontoons the oars were too short for me or my friend to use effectively, need to go buy some longer ones. Will need new oar locks and an oar stops that fixes the position of the oar blades, they kept rotating on me. I also found were not to put a rod holder, still trying to figure a good place for it. I also want to sit higher and get a more comfortable seat.

My main advise is to take them out and play with them for a couple hours. It can be fun and a great way to learn what you want to modify.

Here's where I have my rod holder.