Pontoon floats...

K
koboabe
this might be the wrong section, please move as needed...

I should get my new toon tomorrow and I am excited to get out and float.

what are you favorite floats around the Portland area?

I usually fish on the clac or Sandy rivers so I don't mind a bit of a drive

O
osmosis
I havent been on the sandy for a couple weeks now, but the lower half of that river should have plenty of water still. that clack is getting pretty dang low. even in a toon through my favorite sections you'd have to portage the riffles I'm pretty sure.

K
koboabe
how sketchy is the Dodge to Oxbow float?

O
osmosis
There is one sketchy set of rapids, but now that the water is so low you're likely going to have to portage those anyhow.
I wouldnt reccomend that as your first float, but once you get your pontoon figured out its not a problem.
I suggest to do oxbow down, or dabney down until you get comfortable on the sticks.

carver to riverside on the clackamas is about as easy at it gets on that river, and barton to carver is simple as well the only scary corner is the one immediately above carver. it likes to suck people into that wall.
riverside to the mouth has one sketchy spot similar to carver, at highrocks.

F
FreshWater
congrats on the new toon

congrats on the new toon

I too have just purchased a pontoon and have yet to do a river float. PM me if interested in a mini floatzilla

K
koboabe
osmosis said:
There is one sketchy set of rapids, but now that the water is so low you're likely going to have to portage those anyhow.
I wouldnt reccomend that as your first float, but once you get your pontoon figured out its not a problem.
I suggest to do oxbow down, or dabney down until you get comfortable on the sticks.

carver to riverside on the clackamas is about as easy at it gets on that river, and barton to carver is simple as well the only scary corner is the one immediately above carver. it likes to suck people into that wall.
riverside to the mouth has one sketchy spot similar to carver, at highrocks.

thanks for the info.
I know the float from Barton to Carver well, but I have only ever floated on a small tire tube with a 6 pack of my favorite beverage.

I will have to try the Oxbow to Dabney float in the next week or two.

C
Carl762
I've floated Barton to the Clackamette Park. Great ride, and I noted the two hazards noted above. Also, there were a few little spots where the water was too shallow to float, so I portaged around.

After work, I put my boat in by OMSI or the Fire station under Hawthorne Bridge and paddle up to Ross Island, in at around the island. Takes 5 minutes to drive from the house in NE PDX.

K
koboabe
Carl762 said:
I've floated Barton to the Clackamette Park. Great ride, and I noted the two hazards noted above. Also, there were a few little spots where the water was too shallow to float, so I portaged around.

After work, I put my boat in by OMSI or the Fire station under Hawthorne Bridge and paddle up to Ross Island, in at around the island. Takes 5 minutes to drive from the house in NE PDX.

Haha I have launched kayak from te dragon boater ramp
but my boat came in today and was thinkng about this paddle
maybe I will cya there

K
koboabe
Carl762 said:

Haha I have launched kayak from te dragon boater ramp
but my boat came in today and was thinkng about trying this paddle in my toon
maybe I will cya there
I will be I'm a scadden toon and will prob be with a stand up paddle board

K
koboabe
Carl762 said:

Nice, I like to launch yaks from the dragon boat ramp, but I was actually planning on taking my new toon for a float out there after work

I just got it today, so we'll see how fast I can assemble and inflate
maybe I will cya down there
I will be the only toon out with a dude in a yak and a dude on a stand up pddle board

C
Carl762
Cool, I just might get down there this evening. We'll see how things go.