Pontoon drift

M
Mike123
Anyplace to take out along little Switzerland rd. on the lower Alsea river?
I'd like to drift that in a pontoon. :D

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:

Man I don't know that river at all, but this winter I think I'm gonna have to head up there at least a couple times. I need to fix one of my pontoons first. It'll hold for a bit on the lake (has a nice hole in it)..but I think the river would be a suicide mission lol. So fun though to drift a pontoon.

T
Teo
Mike123 said:

Not that I know of. A fishing map that I have shows a boat ramp just above Barclay Cr. and then the next one is down at Tidewater where the Hwy. crosses the Alsea river over to the south side.

Have you ever taken your pontoon down the Alsea before? I'm curious, because I have a pontoon and have been thinking of drifting the Alsea and was wondering what it was like. I live in Corvallis.

M
Mike123
Teo said:
Not that I know of. A fishing map that I have shows a boat ramp just above Barclay Cr. and then the next one is down at Tidewater where the Hwy. crosses the Alsea river over to the south side.

Have you ever taken your pontoon down the Alsea before? I'm curious, because I have a pontoon and have been thinking of drifting the Alsea and was wondering what it was like. I live in Corvallis.

Well I dont really need a boat ramp really.. I just need a spot to park along the river so I can drag it up and pack it to my truck. I've never floated the alsea.
It's LOW right now though.

T
Teo
Mike123 said:
Well I dont really need a boat ramp really.. I just need a spot to park along the river so I can drag it up and pack it to my truck. I've never floated the alsea.
It's LOW right now though.

I've always wanted to drive up that road, but never have so I'm afraid I can't help. I will next time I'm there though.

S
steelhead1
I dont think there is any public access down there.Five rivers to blackberry is a good float with a few tricky spots,but nothing too scary.mill park to campbell is an easy float with higher flows.There are some major rapids to be aware of in some of the other floats,so do your scouting.Some would be difficult to portage in high water.:D

M
Mike123
steelhead1 said:
I dont think there is any public access down there.Five rivers to blackberry is a good float with a few tricky spots,but nothing too scary.mill park to campbell is an easy float with higher flows.There are some major rapids to be aware of in some of the other floats,so do your scouting.Some would be difficult to portage in high water.:D

Yea Im wanting to float the lower stretch.. water is LOW. It's closed above Five Rivers. I want the level to get around 2.2 or 2.5 that would be nice.

S
sherretb
I have floated the upper stretch for steelhead with my pontoon and had a lot of fun. This was in the winter and up higher than you can fish for chinook I think.