Pontoon boat inflator question

B
bobber
I have a used Rivendell Wave that came with very little.. how to inflate? do they make an adaptor that fits? Also is there a certain amount of air pressure that is recommended? Also, are parts ever available? I think this model is discontinued - trying to gear up for steelhead - Thanks

• pontoon boat inflator.jpg
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! I believe 99% of the pumps, both battery and hand pump, come with 3-4 adapters to fit most openings. The weather dictates how much air you use. If it's warmer than 80, use less to allow for expansion, if under 80 use more. At least that is how I was taught. As for parts, maybe on Craigslist once in a while or you can try a sports classifieds page on Facebook. Be safe, have fun and remember, try to find someone to go with you if you aren't familiar with the pontoon or the water. They are a blast, but can be treacherous, too. A PFD and an anchor are essential, also.

B
Billamicasr
Another consideration on that air pressure question.

It's a good idea to carry a small hand pump on the water for safety but also to top off the tubes after the boat hits the cold water and cools some of the internal air making the tubes sag. If you stop for a lunch break and pull the boat on the shore, you'll need to release some pressure to keep from damaging the tubes as the warm air expands the air.

The recommended pressure for mine is 2.5 pounds per square inch; nope I don't have a gauge. You can get a feel for the pressure by depressing the tube with your thumb. On my boat it is recommended to go for about 1/4 inch inch of depth using pretty firm downward force.

Have you Googled the make and model of your boat? Is there a Facebook page?
One of our OFF members has a Pontoon boat Facebook page. If you have an account search for Pontoon boats.

T
Throbbit _Shane
They do make an adapter to fit that. I fill mine up until they're firm, when its sunny out make sure to let some air out during the day.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
My (still unused, but that will change soon) RIB (Rigid Inflatable) has those same valves. I think you need a different hose for the pump, rather than just an adapter (but not 100% sure, mine came with a foot pump with the correct hose). There's also a wrench for those valves. Not sure of your location, but I'm sure West Marine can hook you up.

I suppose I'd be much more helpful if I could come up with the name of those valves.

I'll also second what Bill said -- pressure while running on the water and while sitting on the bank, or heaven forbid a boat ramp on a hot day are two separate things. Watched my buddy inflate one, then leave it on the ramp to move the truck... BAM!

T
trouthunter
One thing to remember is that all pontoons are not all alike even when made by the same company. You will
need a adapter for your pontoon look up the manufactures web site and contact them about the adapter. There
should be a model number somewhere on the Pontoons. Hope this helps.

Casting Call
Casting Call
DrTheopolis said:
My (still unused, but that will change soon) RIB (Rigid Inflatable) has those same valves. I think you need a different hose for the pump, rather than just an adapter (but not 100% sure, mine came with a foot pump with the correct hose). There's also a wrench for those valves. Not sure of your location, but I'm sure West Marine can hook you up.
Dr.T had it right! West Marine has all you need for that valve. Buy two adapter fittings, one for fill and one for a low pressure gauge. Use good commen sense in filling the tubes. Good luck on your new to you float. Tony