pontoon?, battery for fishfinder

F
fishndad
ok, im looking for a battery to run my fishfinder. first thing, I dont want a lot of weight, but what is small enough, yet, strong enough just to run my fishfinder? i dont have a whole lot to work with as funds go.

H
Hawk
In this instance u can probably get by with a riding lawnmower battery. Put it in a plastic battery box.
U mite be able to find one that has been reconditioned, or at least one that has good cell readings with a hydrometer & will take a good slow charge..........:D

F
fishndad
Hawk said:
In this instance u can probably get by with a riding lawnmower battery. Put it in a plastic battery box.
U mite be able to find one that has been reconditioned, or at least one that has good cell readings with a hydrometer & will take a good slow charge..........:D

i went looking for one but they are spendy little bugger's! im gonna end up using a car battery is what it looks like!

J
JeannaJigs
Let me get back to you on this..because I KNOW my folks have a tiny little battery pack for theirs, that runs off like 12 AA batteries, and it powers a full size humminbird for an entire day's use.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
It's all about the milliamp per hour (mAh) rating, you will need something over 30 or so. When I had a fishfinder I ran it on a batt that was smaller than a 6 pack but ran for days, I believe this was a 35 mAh. However, I bought it new and it was spendy. If by chance you know someone who installs home or business alarm systems they might have some laying around. I got a spare from my uncle that way.

Somewhere on the finder or in the manual there will be a reference to milliamps.

Last edited:
F
fishndad
GraphiteZen said:
It's all about the milliamp per hour (mAh) rating, you will need something over 30 or so. When I had a fishfinder I ran it on a batt that was smaller than a 6 pack but ran for days, I believe this was a 35 mAh. However, I bought it new and it was spendy. If by chance you know someone who installs home or business alarm systems they might have some laying around. I got a spare from my uncle that way.

Somewhere on the finder or in the manual there will be a reference to milliamps.

thanks

S
susqwahanna
You can buy gel cell alarm system standby batteries at Fries electronics or Radio Shack for very little. They come in sizes 12 volt 7amp hr to 17 amp hour. You need to check on the current draw of the fish finder and figure it out from there. You can re-charge these batteries with a trickle charger. If you can tell me the current draw of the fish finder i can calculate the size of battery you will need for a full day of use.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
oh yeah that's the ticket... amps not miliamps... And believe it or not I actually build electronic stuff haha. Thanks susqwahanna :lol::lol:

T
The Nothing
cheap and MORE than enough power

Cabela's Rechargeable 12-Volt Battery

i was just reading some awesome article on this topic the other day, but can't find it. Most FF will operate with 8 rechargable (2500+ mha) batteries for about 11 hours... some can get up to 33.

F
fishndad
i picked one up almost identical to that one

S
susqwahanna
That Cabelas battery is a Gel Cel alarm standby battery with the charger at 30 is a pretty good deal.

M
mudslinging79
i went with a heavy duty motorcycle battery for my fishfinder, paid a lil more than a cheapo car battery, but the compact size was worth it.