Ponds and lakes around Fern Ridge?

F
FernRidgeChamp
I've fished a lot of Fern ridge as I only live half a second away if you can imagine. With the recent purchase of an 8 foot pontoon boat I've gotten the itch to fish explore my local area for ponds and lakes.

I've discovered Horton Pond (through OFF reviews) and have enjoyed fishing it the past three days. I've caught nothing spectacular; however, the lake has inspired me to learn how to fly fish as the water there boils in the evening. Next week I will be getting the gear.

I am aware of Triangle lake, I've never fished it and from the looks too many water-Sport activities going on for me and my lowly pontoon. Maybe early morning trip, or late evening...

Would anyone out there know of other ponds/lakes in my area that have good fishing and low traffic? (I don't mind the sportsman or local back road traffic, no HWY's)

BTW, Got 9 bass, 4 trout and 3 nice sized bluegill the past three days fishing Horton Pond, nothing over 9 inches, and maybe 4 of the fish (minus bluegill) total were worth keeping. I'm sure there are monsters in there, just gotta find 'em.

FRC

F
FernRidgeChamp
It would be nice if Fern Ridge had it's own sub-forum. I feel left out...

FRC

J
JeannaJigs
Lol there's always Delta ponds...lol, nice highway traffic flying by... Not my idea of fun. Are ya into steelhead? I know it's not really secluded, but there's a lot of steelhead in the willamette through town and it's a really nice stretch to float in a pontoon, I was originally going to do so one of the days this week, but my pontoon got a flat at detroit this weekend, so i'm temporarily out of comission, though it's easy to fix, i think...not sure I'm ready to test it out first try on moving water.

Triangle lake is a good one though, I really like it. made it out there a few times this summer, and in the afternoon it has the potential to suck because of other boats, but in the morning it's pretty relaxing.

You actually float fern ridge in a pontoon? I remember the last time I was out there with a friend, he has a white jet boat...the thing was stained from the water from two days of use, had to use bleach to get the water line off his boat.

Reactions: FernRidgeChamp
F
FernRidgeChamp
JeannaJigs said:
Lol there's always Delta ponds...lol, nice highway traffic flying by... Not my idea of fun. Are ya into steelhead? I know it's not really secluded, but there's a lot of steelhead in the willamette through town and it's a really nice stretch to float in a pontoon, I was originally going to do so one of the days this week, but my pontoon got a flat at detroit this weekend, so i'm temporarily out of comission, though it's easy to fix, i think...not sure I'm ready to test it out first try on moving water.

Triangle lake is a good one though, I really like it. made it out there a few times this summer, and in the afternoon it has the potential to suck because of other boats, but in the morning it's pretty relaxing.

You actually float fern ridge in a pontoon? I remember the last time I was out there with a friend, he has a white jet boat...the thing was stained from the water from two days of use, had to use bleach to get the water line off his boat.

Fern ridge isn't all that bad this year. Where we live the waters pretty clear and it treats my pontoon okay. But I have not been out in a couple weeks actually, i'm sure all the jet boaters may have stirred things up but there is so much vegitation on the bottom of the lake it's really hold the mirk down. Fishing is much better this year than last and previous years as well.

Yeah, I'm looking for places more this side of Fern Ridge. I grew up in the delta ponds. Not bad bass fishing now actually. I used to catch turtles and frogs there when I was growing up but now they are doing the turtle habititat restortation project. I never kept them, just for fun. But yeah. I've been hunting google map-terrain for some decent spots but once I switch to satellite everything looks like private property.

Any other ideas? Creeks or whatever? +rep for the reply.

Thanks,
FRC

H
Hawk
Give Kirk Pond a try on the way to Camp Richardson Bro.

I know someone that catch nice sized largemouth from shore at Fern Ridge by water lilies..............:D

Best of Luck to you. catch some biggun Hawgs.

J
JeannaJigs
How far do you want to travel? I'm assuming you live near veneta? or that general area? Lake creek has some awesome cutts and bows, and not too far around the corner (gettin' antsy already for it) there will be steelhead. Lake creek is real low but if you take highway 36 there's some good pull outs with deep holes. Lake creek is one of my favorite local streams

Last edited:
F
FernRidgeChamp
Hawk said:
Give Kirk Pond a try on the way to Camp Richardson Bro.

I know someone that catch nice sized largemouth from shore at Fern Ridge by water lilies..............:D

Best of Luck to you. catch some biggun Hawgs.

I'm not familiar with this place. Care to give directs or map?

Thanks,
FRC

F
FernRidgeChamp
JeannaJigs said:
How far do you want to travel? I'm assuming you live near veneta? or that general area? Lake creek has some awesome cutts and bows, and not too far around the corner (gettin' antsy already for it) there will be steelhead. Lake creek is real low but if you take highway 36 there's some good pull outs with deep holes. Lake creek

I will go as far as lake creek. I have fished Horton pond a little bit. I will keep an eye out for the turn outs next trip overther. What time of year are the steelhead going to run through? I've never fished for them before.

FRC

J
JeannaJigs
Oh man! Winter steel is my favorite target!! Seriously, once you give winter fish a try, and get hooked, there is no going back. It's an addiction. Lake creek is along highway 36, it drains into the Siuslaw, it's headwaters are Triangle Lake. If you take 126 towards mapleton, at the mapleton Junction there, you take a right, that's the 36. Winter steel start coming in sometime in December, but the peak is in February, and it winds down the end of March. Each year it varies a bit depending on water levels and rain fall. The Siuslaw has a pretty good size hatchery run, while Lake Creek seems to have more Natives, great to catch even if you can't keep 'em.

T
TTFishon
You could try the Long Tom in Elmira. I used to fish there a lot when I was a kid before they put the parking lot there. Or the Long Tom below the dam by Kirk Park. Or the Long Tom at Franklin.

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
You could try the Long Tom in Elmira. I used to fish there a lot when I was a kid before they put the parking lot there. Or the Long Tom below the dam by Kirk Park. Or the Long Tom at Franklin.
I finally fished it in Elmira one day while on lunch! didn't catch anything...but I had some bites.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
I finally fished it in Elmira one day while on lunch! didn't catch anything...but I had some bites.

The last time I fished there was on a hot summer day last year and surprisingly I caught a couple of cutts. What were you using?

J
JeannaJigs
I was just tossing a black and yellow bodied panther martin with a gold blade. Lol it was all that I had in my car, I went there on a whim.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
I was just tossing a black and yellow bodied panther martin with a gold blade. Lol it was all that I had in my car, I went there on a whim.

Not a bad place to take your lunch even if you didn't catch anything.

J
JeannaJigs
Exactly, it was really nice. I'm kinda glad that I didn't catch anything actually...fish stink on my scrubs, might not be so good coming back from lunch lol

F
fishing man
its right next to the dam you can catch bluegill bass crappie carp in kirk pond i also caught a pumpkinseed sunfish in there