polluted fish???

H
here2fish
My dad refuses to eat salmon/steel I catch out of Columbia tribs because he says its to polluted. But it doesn't seem to me that they would get to much exposure when heading up the Columbia. So whats up?

on a side note I'm drifting the Clack this weekend with a buddy (me for the first time). I have fished the Sandy quite a bit and we typically run divers and bait or plugs. Same on the Clack??

thanks

T
Troutier Bassier
My friend dosent keep Salmon with White Spots on them.

M
metalmania
If it's chrome, over even partially chrome it gets shampoo'd:D.

H
here2fish
not old I mean polluted

not old I mean polluted

I am talking about chromers aka fresh fish. But my dad claims that because the columbia is so polluted that they pick some of that pollution up which is deposited into their meat. I understand that the longer a fish is in fresh water the more deteriorated it will become, I am curious about if there are any pollutants (mercury etc.)in the meat of the fish.

O
osmosis
fish on the move (salmon/steel) are pretty safe to eat. now if you are eating a lb every single day you might accumulate enough over time to make you sick. I eat a couple ozs of fish almost every day and thats been for several years now and I dont have any extra arms or eyes.
It's my understanding that a majority of any toxin these fish absorb is transferred to the fat but I can't remember exactly. just trim off or avoid the fat if you are very concerned.
I've been told multiple times that you are hurting yourself more if you eat tuna, than salmon or steelhead.

divers and bait/plugs works fine on the clack. walk those puppies way behind the boat right now since its so low/clear.
It doesn't keep a "glacial green" like the sandy does.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
I read that Walleye and Pike are more Safer to eat cause they have less Fat content. Thus, Salmon, Steelhead, ANd trout. Have more fat so Like Osmosis said, Most of toxins go to the Fat.