Poll: steelhead lure

What is your go to drift fishing or bobber dog lure? Steelhead specific..

• Yarnie

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yarnie w/ fish pill

• Corky

• Corky/yarn

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Soft bead

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Fly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worm - plastic

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Straight Roe

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Spin n glo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
my2labs
my2labs
What is your typical go too?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Yarnie w/ fish pill is very close 2nd to soft bead.

Reactions: Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Hooked Up said:
Yarnie w/ fish pill is very close 2nd to soft bead.
Yaa buddy Tony

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Casting Call said:
Yaa buddy Tony

Tony would mind showing a picture of how you rig yours.

Casting Call
Casting Call
I use a pill ontop of a #4 white jig head, pink worm cut-off at the bump fed onto the hook. I oz. float, 3ft. leader or desired depth, 3 split shot as needed. 14ft. float rod w/4 1/2" float reel, on a 50 ft. drift. (at Donilsons Run). I though I was the only one on the river that uses pills from the drugstore. (sardine&anchovie). Will send pic's later Tony

Reactions: Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Looking forward to the pictures.

H
hath74
My go to for drift fishing is fixed yarn tied in while tying the bait loop. I use ez eggs in the bait loop. I will use corkies and spin glows sometimes but not very often.

Bake
Bake
Being a "Good Old Boy" from Texas and "Bass Tournament" fisherman, of course, I would pick Plastic Worms. I still have a tray or two of sliders (4") with their special jig heads. A lot of 6" & 8" floaters & sinkers, a few 10" fire tails, and even some 12" & 14" plastic worms. The only problem is that most of them are "BLACK", "Blue", or "GRAPE" (LOL)!!!

Last edited:
Casting Call
Casting Call
bake B-B-G colors work great in PNW if cut to shorter sizes and in used in murky waters Tony

Bake
Bake
Casting Call said:
bake B-B-G colors work great in PNW if cut to shorter sizes and in used in murky waters Tony

After I retired from the Air Force and still lived in Austin I took up SCUBA. I noticed that most of the plastics I found at the 20' to 30' mark of Lake Travis were B-B-G. The B-B-G colors were a lot easier to see in the water when you are 20' or 30' deep, but some of the black ones would turn red when I looked at them on the beach. I guess that water is a great light filter, with blue light going deepest, and the red being the lease.

Last edited:
my2labs
my2labs
This is interesting.... for these specific methods.... drift fishing and bobber doggin.... I did not expect worms to have much of an impact. If the question had to do with float fishing, I wouldn’t be surprised though.

Bake
Bake
As a side topic, has anyone tried using some of the different plastics? Maybe the Sexy Shad, Salty Tube Skirts, Swirl tail Grubs, 4" Ring Worm, and the other hundreds of different plastics. They come in different sizes, panfish, crappie, big, and bigger. Plus the different colors and color combinations. With a needle, Exacto Knife, and super glue you could rig them in way too many different ways...

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
I'm old school. Drift fish a corkie with a little yarn in the loop. Add some scent or eggs if desired, or just a plain ol corkie. I've hooked many a steelhead this way.
When I bobber dog, which is not often, a soft bead pegged 3 fingers from the hook (just like everyone else).

F
Fred
Why isn’t there a jig option ;(

hobster
hobster
Because you can’t drift fish or bobber dog jigs.

Bake
Bake
Tony,
I was wondering where would the steelhead hit a 4'' worm? Front third, middle third,, tail third, or maybe hanging out the tail? Which is the more important, "PINK" or 4" long?

Casting Call
Casting Call
pink, bubblegum or even black depending on conditions. Size (start@4")depending on expected size catch and action by water speed. My fav is a San Juan Worm hooked in the middle next to the band. That I have duel action wiggle. Scented of course. 80% hook-up rate, not all are landed due to 50ft drifts. Drifting with a 14ft rod is new to me. The rush and challenge is amazing. I may consider selling OFF my high-end gear. I think I have found my nich. Tony

Bake
Bake
Tony,
Ever use surgical tubing? I have used 1/8", 1/4". 3/8", or 1/2", rigged both Texas & Carolina system. In pink, blue, black, and natural. Sometimes I would put a small bullet weight inside. or sometimes a piece of styrofoam. I would cut them from 10" to maybe 18" for casting or trolling for Stripers down here in the Delta. Usually, I would have the hook sticking out the back end with a swivel tied inside the front end. I would tie a 24" leader to a chain swivel, because of the way the tube would spin...

Casting Call
Casting Call
Back in the day when no limit to size of sturgeon or amount I would stub only when trolling for strippers. I would stay berth at every harbor for one year to recon style and location of the areas. Richman red rock marina, Pt. san Pablo, Rodeo, echlys, c&h sugar, antiock, mare island, mothball, Petaluma/montazuma, & cotata, etc. etc. Did you know you could catch grass shrimp with a beef bone meated? Netted gunny ,sack, 15" ring( like a ring crab net) will get you 6 or more shrimp. just OFF the side of the boat on the bottom while waiting for that dino bite.

Bake
Bake
Never heard about the beef bone before!