Poll: Coastal coho runs

Poll: Coastal coho runs

• Huge runs, as good as 2014! Propellerheads blew it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They got it right, just a decent run in 2015.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Really light coho run in 2015, let's hope 2016 is much better.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • What the heck are coho?

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
The shortened wild coho season ends today on the Umpqua, Siuslaw, and Alsea rivers; there was no wild coho season on the Nehalem, and N. Coast rivers were limited to 1 wild coho for the season. These reductions from last year were due to the data causing scientists for NOAA and ODFW to conclude we would be seeing decent coho returns on most rivers but nothing near the big runs in 2014.

So what have people observed?

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Up north here on the Columbia the run was much smaller than last year. Last year the B-10 coho action was fantastic it was bumped to a three day hatchery limit. Not sure why the run prediction was so far off. The ocean fishing for coho off the Columbia River was not bad for us but we were lucky. As they say "sometimes chickens, sometimes feathers".

B
BaldTexan
I've lucked into a few in Tillamook area bays. Clipped and Unclipped. Absolutely nothing compared to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Had to work for them this year and they showed later!

B
BaldTexan
I actually caught mine early in the jaws at Nehalem and Tillamook. Haven't caught one since early September....although I haven't really targeted them but last year I caught many fishing for Chinook in Nehalem Bay. I did target jumping, rolling coho at Wheeler with a #6 Blue fox, but caught a nice Chinook hen full of free bait :) I didn't complain.

S
SmallStreams
What I've seen coming upriver (N. Fk. Nehalem & Necanicum) are mostly smaller coho, <6 lbs. Low percentage of large ones. Due to the sparse rain pattern, NFN has had two one-day runs. Necanicum has had a single-day.

All of that leaves me hopeful that there are actually many more holding offshore for wetter weather... but fearful that we've seen all there is to see (more of a concern for NFN than Necanicum).

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
As of 12 today 15 fish where landed and 2 where nooks at the Rhody wall!

B
BaldTexan
Wild coho?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Its too early to know. It just started getting really good about this time last year.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
Its too early to know. It just started getting really good about this time last year.

not for us, last year we were into the coho big time on the Siuslaw from Sept. 19 to Oct. 9, the lower river was just thick them...this year we found coho to be in earlier (I released one on 9/2), the run seemed to be building by the 9/15 opener this year and then it just seemed to level OFF and fade to a trickle of new fish coming in each day...

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Spoke with my buddy on the OSP and he also said he the limits are down this year. (FYI he said they will be watching the rivers like hawks from afar to make sure people are NOT taking any coho out of the rivers)

P
plumb2fish
I got my first coho of the season on 8-16 this year. 8 1/2lb hatchery fish at the 101 bridge. Weird year for sure...personally I blame the warm water blob off our coast. Warm water=no feed=bad survival for coho in the ocean

jamisonace
jamisonace
True. I just looked and we were having double digit days last year starting the last week in Sept. But the fishing was ridiculous into December as we moved into the free flowing part of the river.

A significant number could still arrive. There is a rumor that two big schools are at 230' behind a thermal barrier. I'm not holding out much hope that it's true but it's a rumor I've heard.

rogerdodger said:
not for us, last year we were into the coho big time on the Siuslaw from Sept. 19 to Oct. 9, the lower river was just thick them...this year we found coho to be in earlier (I released one on 9/2), the run seemed to be building by the 9/15 opener this year and then it just seemed to level OFF and fade to a trickle of new fish coming in each day...

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm sure they won't have to look to hard to find people keeping coho. Though I doubt they have the man power to watch it daily.

GoBlueFan said:
Spoke with my buddy on the OSP and he also said he the limits are down this year. (FYI he said they will be watching the rivers like hawks from afar to make sure people are NOT taking any coho out of the rivers)

jamisonace
jamisonace
I heard of a bunch of those hatchery fish being caught early by a few different guides. The STEP program must have done well. I heard the local coho STEP program is only allowed one pair. Can that be true?

plumb2fish said:
I got my first coho of the season on 8-16 this year. 8 1/2lb hatchery fish at the 101 bridge. Weird year for sure...personally I blame the warm water blob off our coast. Warm water=no feed=bad survival for coho in the ocean

D
DrTheopolis
jamisonace said:
There is a rumor that two big schools are at 230' behind a thermal barrier.

If true, that bodes well for a late season burst. Usually takes a bit for the fish that far out to "matriculate up the river" when they're that far out. Then again, they might blast up on a freshet.

About a week and change before I can get after them, so I'm sure conditions will line up against me.

I'm never going on an extended work trip during fall season again (although I guess it's financing the ensuing slaughter).

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
I heard of a bunch of those hatchery fish being caught early by a few different guides. The STEP program must have done well. I heard the local coho STEP program is only allowed one pair. Can that be true?

we get to spawn 4 pairs of coho each year and that gets us about 12K eggs with a goal of releasing 10K fry (2" to 3") into Ackerley Creek in May. We don't even have our trap working in Munsel Creek yet, so the coho we will catch and spawn are still in the ocean, I think our STEP fish are later returning coho since they only come a few miles in from the ocean to spawn...

I am thinking the very early clipped fish in the Siuslaw might have been Umpqua South Fork coho that got lost, these should be earlier run fish due to how far they need to go. South Fork Umpqua fish have nearly 100 river miles to get back to their hatchery; Munsel Creek coho have at most 10 miles of river/creek.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
True. I just looked and we were having double digit days last year starting the last week in Sept. But the fishing was ridiculous into December as we moved into the free flowing part of the river.

A significant number could still arrive. There is a rumor that two big schools are at 230' behind a thermal barrier. I'm not holding out much hope that it's true but it's a rumor I've heard.

last year, Sept.23-24, Florence airport recorded 1.28" of rain...I do think there might be a decent group of fish to come in but too late for tagging them in the central rivers, I know all the lake coho are still out there, I fished yesterday and no coho activity in Siltcoos yet or at Lodgepole as of 10/15...

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Why too late Chinook is still open?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
Why too late Chinook is still open?

check the thread, this discussion is about coastal coho. cheers, roger

Last edited: