Pole setup

M
masmith
I usually run spinners/lures. I fish mostly for trout but want to get into steelhead, and fish nestucca for whatever runs in teh fall as well. My current setup is an old 5' Shimano setup. I can cast perfect with it, but I know it couldn't bring anything more then a mid sized Steelhead.

What would you suggest for me, as far as size, brand, and type of reel and pole? I want something decent, but not high end. I am thinking something I could pickup at bimart or Big 5 for $50 range.

Thanks.

A
Anyfishisfine
masmith said:
I usually run spinners/lures. I fish mostly for trout but want to get into steelhead, and fish nestucca for whatever runs in teh fall as well. My current setup is an old 5' Shimano setup. I can cast perfect with it, but I know it couldn't bring anything more then a mid sized Steelhead.

What would you suggest for me, as far as size, brand, and type of reel and pole? I want something decent, but not high end. I am thinking something I could pickup at bimart or Big 5 for $50 range.

Thanks.

Fisherman's in Oregon City has a decent sale right now, and had what I got on sale from them for even less now. They had a lot of combos in different price ranges. I want to say they had some sort of a Abu-Garcia bait-casting combo for steelhead for around that price, but don't quote me.

S
starion87le
Anyfishisfine said:
Fisherman's in Oregon City has a decent sale right now, and had what I got on sale from them for even less now. They had a lot of combos in different price ranges. I want to say they had some sort of a Abu-Garcia bait-casting combo for steelhead for around that price, but don't quote me.

They did have a combo from abu-garcia, I believe it was $54-55, don't believe it had line on it. I bought an Okuma Celilo rod for $33 :shock:

A
Anyfishisfine
I actually asked if they were going out of business, some of that stuff is crazy cheap, and when I walked in the shelves seemed bare. It was like a GI Joes DejeVu.

M
masmith
What do I want to look for in a rod and reel, such as specs or brand.

A
Anyfishisfine
Since you are on a budget I would go to Fisherman's, tell them your price cap and let them show you a couple. They will know what's on sale, and set you up with whatever else you will need to get started. That's what I did and walked away really happy.

Also figure another $10 or so for line, and $25-$50 for tackle.

kirkster
kirkster
I was at fishermans today and they are having a sidewalk sale, Great time to get a deal

18406ej
18406ej
You should take a look at the Kunnan IM7 spinning and casting rods at Bi-Mart. At $27, they feel as good as my $100 Shimano Clarus rods.

M
masmith
I did go to Fishermans today! Got a 7 foot rod, can land steel, but will work for rainbows as well. Got a killer deal on an Abu Garcia reel, normally $88 got it for $45 with two reels strung.

A
Anyfishisfine
masmith said:
I did go to Fishermans today! Got a 7 foot rod, can land steel, but will work for rainbows as well. Got a killer deal on an Abu Garcia reel, normally $88 got it for $45 with two reels strung.

Sweet! Welcome to our obsession.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Wish they had a store like that around Eugene!

Q
qwapaw
I heard from 4 or 5 fish friends that Dicks Sporting goods is looking at the Joes Building. Anyone else heard that. I don't know anything abouth Dicks, but I see it advertised on tyhe fishing channel. Qwa :clap:

F
FishSchooler
They have already started construction here turning joes into Dicks!

J
jlayman0270
18406ej said:
You should take a look at the Kunnan IM7 spinning and casting rods at Bi-Mart.

I like this rod too. Great price! :clap: