Polarized glasses

C
ChezJfrey
I'm sure for many of you, this goes without saying, but thought I'd post my observation anyways, as it literally opened my eyes.

When I went out to the river last weekend, I was wearing some polarized glasses since I had read in Jed Davis' book that they would be a big help; he wasn't kidding.

Regardless of the ability they might afford in fish spotting, one of the key benefits I noticed was that I could actually see where I was placing my feet beneath the water surface as I was traipsing around. As a test, I took them off and couldn't see a darn thing under the water, even though it was a cloudy, overcast day. Wow, really helped my ability to trudge through without falling!

Though I'd always known, in the back of my mind, that polarized lenses could cut down glare from the water's surface, I guess I never really realized just how much they help.

M
markasd
absolutely... Polarized shades are a necessity on the river. dont be afraid to get a few different colored lenses as well. I have two shades - can't live without my rose lense Maui Jims. I can count the grains of sand on the bottom of the river!!

C
ChezJfrey
markasd said:
absolutely... Polarized shades are a necessity on the river. dont be afraid to get a few different colored lenses as well. I have two shades - can't live without my rose lense Maui Jims. I can count the grains of sand on the bottom of the river!!

Nice! I've had a pair of Maui Jim Typhoons for years and I absolutely LOVE those shades...though they cost a freakin' fortune! But hey, that's the price I pay for stylin'! LOL!

O
OnTheFly
Probably one of the most important pieces of fishing equipment.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
OnTheFly said:
Probably one of the most important pieces of fishing equipment.

Absolutely. I have canceled trips because I couldn't find mine.

F
fishingfreak
They are a must I carry 2 pairs! I caught my last 2 Chromers using those polarized. I spotted them and just drifted the eggs close and watched them run towards the eggs and hammer them. I never leave home without my Oakley's and Strike Kings. When you are hunting Ghosts you need any advantage possible. Good Call keep em in your arsenal and you will start seeing Ghosts like the rest of us.

FF

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
let me tell ta a little story, this past summer i was at nestucca and 3 rivers and testing out my new glasses, i got in the water (the mouth of 3 rivers) and put my glasses on, wrell everyone else was casting far out, the springers and summers were not 20 feet away from me i ended up hooking a springer and loosing it and my dad landed a nice little summer and nobody else idea of how we found the fish. unfortunately they broke and now i have some berkley ones that don't work the best

R
Rascal
brandon4455 said:
let me tell ta a little story, this past summer i was at nestucca and 3 rivers and testing out my new glasses, i got in the water (the mouth of 3 rivers) and put my glasses on, wrell everyone else was casting far out, the springers and summers were not 20 feet away from me i ended up hooking a springer and loosing it and my dad landed a nice little summer and nobody else idea of how we found the fish. unfortunately they broke and now i have some berkley ones that don't work the best

same story here i bought some and they were great but then I sat on em a week later.... I think im due for a new set i dont know christmas maybe =)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Two summers ago I bought a pair of Natives. For $120 I got: Frames, polarized lenses, a second set of amber lenses for low light conditions, two sets of ear pieces (one with a retainer, one without) a soft case/cleaning wipe, and hard-shell case which carries the glasses, the extra set of lenses and extra set of earpieces; AND a lifetime warranty. The warranty is even good for a scratched lens, damaged by fault of the owner!!!

T
Troutier Bassier
I had a pair of dark lense Polarized HD glasses. They were Aviator style too. SAVAGE!! I took them bass fishing with me on the colombia. I could see the bass chasing my lure to the boat, I could see hidden logs underwater. There a must for boaters. I can't tell you how many times I've saved my nuts on the river from HUGE Boulders that were underwater.
Also a help when sightfishing for any species!
All in alll. They are really good.
I just got a new pair of yellow lense HD glasses for fishing EC and coastal streams.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Troutier Bassier said:
I had a pair of dark lense Polarized HD glasses. They were Aviator style too. SAVAGE!! I took them bass fishing with me on the colombia. I could see the bass chasing my lure to the boat, I could see hidden logs underwater. There a must for boaters. I can't tell you how many times I've saved my nuts on the river from HUGE Boulders that were underwater.
Also a help when sightfishing for any species!
All in alll. They are really good.
I just got a new pair of yellow lense HD glasses for fishing EC and coastal streams.

Try to watch the language there guy..

--

HD??

T
Troutier Bassier
Sorry man.
Yes HD. High Definition. It makes the image a lot sharper and better looking.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm confused about the whole HD feature in glasses... I'm assuming they weren't electrically powered. What is the brand?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Nice. When I drive at night/early morning I pop in the amber lenses and it helps tremendously!! Not specifically high-def per the article you posted, but one step closer at least.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Ugh, I need to buy another pair of polarized sunglasses. Mine are prescription and I let the guy at Binyons talk me into doing them as bifocals like my daily wear glasses, well guess what....when I am wading through the river or climbing up and down hillsides....I can't freaking wear either pair. Looking down puts me into the "reading" part of my glasses and screws me up big time.

Luckily my vision isn't really bad so I can get around without my glasses.

G
GDBrown
Prescription Polarized!

Prescription Polarized!

BobbiDollPDX said:
Ugh, I need to buy another pair of polarized sunglasses. Mine are prescription and I let the guy at Binyons talk me into doing them as bifocals like my daily wear glasses, well guess what....when I am wading through the river or climbing up and down hillsides....I can't freaking wear either pair. Looking down puts me into the "reading" part of my glasses and screws me up big time.

Luckily my vision isn't really bad so I can get around without my glasses.

I know how you feel about the bifocals!:mad: My eyes have changed a lot in the last few years and now I'm developing Cataracts!:( I've had to resort to clip-ons for now because I'm not spending money on glasses that will have to be changed in a year after they fix the cataracts.:think: Polarized are not covered by my insurance either.

GD

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
BobbiDollPDX said:
when I am wading through the river or climbing up and down hillsides....I can't freaking wear either pair. Looking down puts me into the "reading" part of my glasses and screws me up big time.

hahah Great image. Merry Christmas! :):)

Troutski
Troutski
The only thing better than a pair of Koorkers for your feet would be Polarized glasses for your eyes...JMHO

Chuck

M
Markcanby
I hate you guys an you polarized glass!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
I can't wear them I have teh ability to pass the color blind test but Im not:confused: an teh glasses give me headaches.:(:( I have one other friend with the same problem. He did find a pair but paid 400$ for them :shock::shock: So I will stick with just hating all you guys.