Poke-poling

F
fourgotten
Well, I found a stand of bamboo, pulled out a couple of 12'-17' poles and am looking forward to going poke-poling tomorrow... thinking that I'm going up toward Neptune with a stop at Bob Creek for some mussels (bait and/or consolation prize... depends on how the poke-poling goes) on the way... Follow that up with some surf casting for perch (or anything else that'll bite)

I'm considering trying down by Sunset Bay on Tuesday...

Anyone want to tag along and keep me from looking like a lunatic? :lol: (If two or more people are engaged in an activity then it HAS to be sane... right?)

D
Dichrofisher
Damn, wish I could go, ughhhhhh.:( Good luck on the ocean feast!

J
joeyota
fourgotten said:
Well, I found a stand of bamboo, pulled out a couple of 12'-17' poles and am looking forward to going poke-poling tomorrow... thinking that I'm going up toward Neptune with a stop at Bob Creek for some mussels (bait and/or consolation prize... depends on how the poke-poling goes) on the way... Follow that up with some surf casting for perch (or anything else that'll bite)

I'm considering trying down by Sunset Bay on Tuesday...

Anyone want to tag along and keep me from looking like a lunatic? :lol: (If two or more people are engaged in an activity then it HAS to be sane... right?)

I would go for sure. I have to be back in Eugene by 430 though.

F
fourgotten
joeyota said:
I would go for sure. I have to be back in Eugene by 430 though.

Looks like my dentist has an opening tomorrow morning for me (trying to get me in before my insurance runs out) so I'm gonna be on a tight squeeze to get there... (if I can even make it before the tide turns) but if you're up on meeting me out there, I'll be the one in the waders with the loooooong bamboo pole! I drive a black S-10 Blazer...

A
Anyfishisfine
Poke-poling sounds like the perfect "hey, watch this!" set-up on so many levels. I have to try this.

F
fourgotten
Anyfishisfine said:
Poke-poling sounds like the perfect "hey, watch this!" set-up on so many levels. I have to try this.

Totally agree... there's certainly an element of danger to it around here...

Coffee guys yesterday morning, when told what I was doing, said something like: "And if you don't catch fish, you'll at least have time for a few beers..." and then hastily recanted the idea of beer while walking out onto the slippery rocks where the waves hit a little harder...

J
joeyota
I would have tried to meet you out there. I left early this morning and went clamming at Florance. Tried a little steely action on the way.

F
fourgotten
joeyota said:
I would have tried to meet you out there. I left early this morning and went clamming at Florance. Tried a little steely action on the way.

No s**t! Were you wearing yellow rain gear?

If so, I passed by ya about 10:15 or so... almost stopped to join you since there was no chance of me hitting Sunset Bay before peak low tide...

I said to myself, "Geez... that'd be amusing if I did pull off to get some clams and that turned out to be one of the people from OFF...."

J
joeyota
fourgotten said:

If so, I passed by ya about 10:15 or so... almost stopped to join you since there was no chance of me hitting Sunset Bay before peak low tide...

I said to myself, "Geez... that'd be amusing if I did pull off to get some clams and that turned out to be one of the people from OFF...."

Ya that was me out playin in the mud.

L
lechner
fourgotten said:

So how'd the poke poling go? There's something so phenomenally ridiculous and yet simultaneously amazing about jabbing a long pole into crevices at low tide... I was thinking about building one from PVC. Ideally, this would allow me to construct the pole from segments making the overall length variable for the occasion.

F
fourgotten
lechner said:
So how'd the poke poling go? There's something so phenomenally ridiculous and yet simultaneously amazing about jabbing a long pole into crevices at low tide... I was thinking about building one from PVC. Ideally, this would allow me to construct the pole from segments making the overall length variable for the occasion.

Left my wading boots at home the first day and didn't make it in time on the second day... so... didn't really get much in... though I did wind up pulling in a surf perch from Horsfall beach... The first fish that I'd caught on that surf rod...

So, of course, I had to leave the rod on top of the truck as I pulled away... broke two of the ceramic guide liners when it hit... *sigh*

I would avoid trying to use PVC... it's heavy... REALLY heavy... a 15-foot bamboo pole is heavy enough... I'd hate to see a 15-foot PVC pole... Also, there's no real way to hold PVC pipe together as you pull it out unless you glue it or cut thread into it...

I can't see as you'd need more than 15 feet anyhow... Try a bamboo pole first.... see what you think after using it...

A
Anyfishisfine
Where is a good place to get a piece of bamboo that long?

I agree that PVC would be too heavy, it's larger diameter would also catch in the wind and be more it the mercy of the waves. It would probably also want to float.

F
fourgotten
Anyfishisfine said:
Where is a good place to get a piece of bamboo that long?

I agree that PVC would be too heavy, it's larger diameter would also catch in the wind and be more it the mercy of the waves. It would probably also want to float.

Might be able to find one at a nursery or hardware store, but there are also a few companies that grow and sell bamboo up Portland way... or you could just cruise around town until you find someone's yard where they have it growing... They might just let you cut a pole or two if you ask nicely... :D

I just happen to know where there's some BLM land that has a nice grove of bamboo on it... about two and a half hours south east of you, though...

Of course... if you happen to be in Eugene sometime, I could prolly wrangle one up for you for a small fee.... hell...I could build you a whole poke pole for $10ish...

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have bamboo in nearly every imaginable diameter, and length. I have it growing in my parents side yard, and next to their decorative carp pond. I have everything from twigs, to freakin trees! You are in Lake O, I am just across the old OC bridge from you. Let me know if you need some bamboozle. I am in the process of constructing one of these here poker poles too. One in an 8 foot, and a 14 footer as well..

A
Anyfishisfine
I know I'm going to feel dumb, but I can't for the life of me figure out what OC is :)

But yeah, if you are close and it isn't a hassle, that would be really cool of you.

I'm thinking 12-14 feet somewhere between the thickness of a finger and thumb.

Edit --- Never mind, I do feel dumb. OC = Oregon City.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Alrighty. I will look today when I cruise over there, and let you know what I can do for you. I am guessing that because it is so fresh, you will have to cut it down to length, and let it "cure" essentially. Or at very least dry out completely before you start pokin with it.

A
Anyfishisfine
That's very nice of you. I'd feel bad if you went out of your way in any way for a stick though. So don't make a special trip or anything for it.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Not at all. I needed to fall a bunch of old growth timber that were all leaned over the neighbors barn. So I just cut a few bamboo sticks while I was out there for a little while. The bamboo I have, that is long enough, is slightly larger in diameter than your thumb at the base, approximately double that, but a 15 foot section is surprisingly light. Let me know when and where you want to pick up your bamboo, I run my own biz, so I can normally arrange free time, very easily. I did see my friends dads poker pole, and it was quite substantial. 12 feet, and about 1 3/4 inch diameter at the base, that tapered up to 1/4 inch at the tip. He hooked a 25 pound Cabezon on it this year though. Let me know man. I am in town all the time. Hope this helps you out a little.

L
lechner
I'm glad that I ran my ill conceived ideas by OFF before investing time in them. Thanks for the advice! :)

I suppose that I could find a 15' bamboo pole at my local nursery and strap it to the top of my car like a lance. A lot of people seem to use coat hangers or fence wire as an intermediary between the pole and a very strong leader. I've always wondered what the point of this wire is anyway? Does it add some distance between the bait and the terminal end of the pole?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I can wrangle some bamboo for you too if you can meet me half way, or wait until I head back out to Springdale to kill gophers this next week. I think it will work well, but then again I have never fabricated one of these things. I think I am going to do the coat hanger thing, just to put a little distance from a big piece of wood, and the 80 pound braid I am going to use. Another idea I stewed up was a shock leader. Maybe 15-40 pound mono depending on species targeted, and type of hole fished.