Poachers suck.

L
lizardman
glad they caught him, and glad the meat didn't go to waste.

T
troutmasta
lizardman said:
glad they caught him, and glad the meat didn't go to waste.

True story,

40+ nooks wow!

bass
bass
Interesting. Not clear if legitimate gillnetter using illegal sized mesh or poacher (no license to gill net). Poor guy, he probably just did not hear about the netting rule changes :)

E
eugene1
Hope they popped the unscrupulous fish buyer too.

T
troutmasta
Bass I hope that's correct.
I generalize though. when someone kills 40 illegally caught nooks I automatically call them a poacher.
Headed to Trillium hope to see some of you there!

troutdude
troutdude
The article didn't say; but doesn't the law have the right to seize his vessel too?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:

X2

D
DrTheopolis
eugene1 said:

If the guy that got busted was merely using a net with illegal mesh (that's what I get from the article), then the buyer would have no idea that the violation was committed.

I HATE that there's any netting on the C, but I doubt the buyer intended to do anything wrong (the guy was caught before he brought the fish in, so the buyer had nothing to do with it).

M
MikePierce170
I'm with DrTheopolis. Gill nets need to go away. It's silly to me they allow that bullsh*t but don't allow us spear fisherman (who have ZERO bycatch) an opportunity to shoot one.

bass
bass
Read on another forum that this same guy was arrested for illegally gill netting a bunch of sturgeon a few years back and also arrested in Alaska. Sad to see this continual abuse. I bet most commercial guys are good folks trying to eke out a tough living. Guys like this make everyone hate all netters. Just sad.

D
DrTheopolis
bass said:
Guys like this make everyone hate all netters.

Not for me.

It's all the netters that make me hate all the netters.

I have no problem with some limited commercial harvest in good years -- use a rod and reel like the rest of us.

D
DrTheopolis
MikePierce170 said:
It's silly to me they allow that bullsh*t but don't allow us spear fisherman (who have ZERO bycatch) an opportunity to shoot one.

Interesting point. How many bleeders die during clipped-only season? How many nates bleed out while we release 10 to get our 1(not that I'm hooking 10 a day or anything)?

Spear anglers would have no such unintended mortality.