poachers on the North Fork santiam

S
steelhead1
Took the kayaks for a ride down the river for some whitewater and trout fishing today.when we came to the diversion dam near stayton there were a couple of shady dudes fishing the pool above the deadline:naughty:.When they noticed us coming they quickly stashed their rods and sat down like they were just enjoying the scenery.We pulled out of the water and tried to wait them out or make them uncomfortable so they would leave,but they just stared us down:mad:.As we left there was a short but unpleasant confrontation involving "wassup" and suggestive finger gestures:shock:.What I just can't grasp is that a large portion of our fish and game money goes to law enforcement,yet every time I run the river, some jerk is blatently breaking the rules with nobody around to stop them!Anyway,If the scumbags that were there today happen to read this,I let the sherriff know of your wrongdoing,something I hated to do,but you asked for it.By the way,trout fishin was slow, only got a few little cutties,but saw a bunch of nice steelies heading up the river!

M
metalmania
Nothing kills my good mood better than hearing about snaggers:mad:. It's such a shame to watch our beloved salmonids treated with such disrespect and cruelty. Hopefully johnny law will catch these guys in the act.

Last edited by a moderator:
K
Kodiak
What the idiots don't know is that there are cameras up there...hehe. I know because I helped ODFW install them. If they were in a boat it was filmed..if they hiked in they will be going to jail. Good call calling the cops. I'll call my cousin (ODFW Biologist and let him know whats going on. If you can give me a description I probably know who they are.

M
mgdguy
steelhead1 said:
Took the kayaks for a ride down the river for some whitewater and trout fishing today.when we came to the diversion dam near stayton there were a couple of shady dudes fishing the pool above the deadline:naughty:.When they noticed us coming they quickly stashed their rods and sat down like they were just enjoying the scenery.We pulled out of the water and tried to wait them out or make them uncomfortable so they would leave,but they just stared us down:mad:.As we left there was a short but unpleasant confrontation involving "wassup" and suggestive finger gestures:shock:.What I just can't grasp is that a large portion of our fish and game money goes to law enforcement,yet every time I run the river, some jerk is blatently breaking the rules with nobody around to stop them!Anyway,If the scumbags that were there today happen to read this,I let the sherriff know of your wrongdoing,something I hated to do,but you asked for it.By the way,trout fishin was slow, only got a few little cutties,but saw a bunch of nice steelies heading up the river!

Kudos to you Steelhead1 for doing what you could to get these people to stop this illegal and unethical behavior... :clap:

T
the_intimidator03
an idea just hit me.. anyone thought to contact fish and game about volunteering to help spot and report unethical and illegal fishing practices? hell i think a fisherman is a great cover for a reporter :-D

M
metalmania
Good idea Intimidator, but everyone can contribute to the removal of poachers without even volunteering. If you see poachers call the TIP number on the back of your tag.

M
Mike123
All you have to do is call OSP... not too hard. I've done it twice this year on the South Santiam.

K
Kodiak
metalmania said:
Good idea Intimidator, but everyone can contribute to the removal of poachers without even volunteering. If you see poachers call the TIP number on the back of your tag.

I prefer option "B". Go to thier house with 4 or 5 of your friends, drag them out in the street in front of all thier nieghbors and tell the entire nieghborhood at the top of your lungs what they were doing. Public humiliation goes a looonnnngggg way:shock:. If they get lippy you can always just turn them in at that point. I pack my cell that takes vid and pictures, plus my vid cam. You set up with a video camera and start fishin snaggers will scatter like dry leaves in a late Autumn wind storm:lol:.

F
FishSchooler
Man, I need to invent a lure that has a camera and the line is a wire which attaches to your electronic reel which has a screen so you can send evidence that they were trying to snag because you can see a 10 ft leader and a big corkie. Then you can easily report poachers with evidence. THAT would make me a lot of $$$. :cool:

S
steelhead1
bringing a cell phone down the river is impossible without a dry case,that I dont currently own.Besides I have an aversion torward calling authorities for my own reasons, and prior bad experiences from doing so.I t just happened that there was wreck at the mill city bridge with deputies on the scene, so I let them know as I walked past past.In my experience on other large and popular river drifts I see fish and game and osp diligently checking on peaple,making sure everone is on the up and up,but ther seems to be a lack when it comes to the n fork santiam,a beautiful and productive river that deserves some attention in that respect.:D.It seems to me that the combat holes like ee wilson,jc pond,and other places of the like get more than a fair share of our fishing dollars and resources,that is just my opinion for what its worth.

T
the_intimidator03
of the many years ive fished. the ONLY time ive actually seen or have been checked for license was just below dexter dam.

H
hendrixfan
I can imagine in this case you wouldn't have had an opportunity, but if its possible get the license plate from the vehicle they are with and then call the TIP line.

T
Thuggin4Life
the_intimidator03 said:
of the many years ive fished. the ONLY time ive actually seen or have been checked for license was just below dexter dam.

For some reason I have only been stopped this year. At dexter lake by Marshal Maher. Lately he has been trying to get me to but food on his table and it's starting to work. Evert time I see him I wonder "Isn't there better things he could be doing, or bigger wrongdueings he could be righting?" Seems like cops are never in the right place right time when it comes to fishing.

F
fishndad
Thuggin4Life said:
For some reason I have only been stopped this year. At dexter lake by Marshal Maher. Lately he has been trying to get me to but food on his table and it's starting to work. Evert time I see him I wonder "Isn't there better things he could be doing, or bigger wrongdueings he could be righting?" Seems like cops are never in the right place right time when it comes to fishing.

the last time i turned a guy in, i got punched in the face! it was worth seeing him go to jail though! he was grabbing fish out of a hatchery! and i said sir what are you doing, then he just flipped. i took him to the ground and held him there, all my training came in perfect that day lol