PNW waders

HombreLibro85
HombreLibro85
Looking for some waders preferably made here in the PNW. I'm also not trying to break the bank on this

S
Socaaron
I've found when it comes to waders you get what you pay for... do you want to spend $60-80 for entry level waders and replace them every season. Or spend twice that and have waders that last multiple seasons of heavy/moderate use.

How much do you fish? Do you hike and beat the brush a lot or just walk down from you rig to the bank. There is soooo many factors in play.
As far as waders made in the PNW I can't say I know of any MADE here. That being said The Fly Shop waders stack right up there with the big boys that cost two to three times the price or more and they're based out of Redding California. Price $170ish
If you let go the PNW thing I've had great success with the Compass brand of waders from Amazon. I picked up a pair of chest waders in the Tailwater line a couple years ago and they're still going strong with no issues and heavy use Price $150ish.

I tried the affordable route at first and was constantly battling leaks pretty quickly. Went through a few different brands and styles before I just bit the bullet and upgraded. FYI I DO NOT RECOMMEND the Caddis line of waders and boots even the more expensive "Northern Guide" line is far below like brands for the price in quality and durability. I know it's not the specific answer you were looking for just my experience

Reactions: bocefus
my2labs
my2labs
I’ve had so many waders over the years. So many. Boot foot to sock foot. Hodgman to Frog Toggs to Caddis and Finally two seasons ago spent a little more on the Simms freestones. Not incredibly expensive but faaaaaaar superior to anything else I’ve ever worn. Comfort, durability etc. an angry salmon shook a plug into them last season or they’d be perfect still and I am brutal to them.

Point being.... I agree with soccaron... spend a little more of you can and you’ll save in the long run. Freestones are not crazy.... $250 I think, which is less expensive than $100 every year if they last 3. They fit like normal clothing, move and breath well and are super durable

HombreLibro85
HombreLibro85
Thanks everyone. I understand there are lots of factors to consider, and I know what I'm looking for. In my search I did find 1 company in washington making some really cool, inexpensive waders. Unfortunately they were out of stock in my size but my search continues. If anyone is curious, the brand is called DRYFT, and they make some pretty cool stuff

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
HombreLibro85 said:
Thanks everyone. I understand there are lots of factors to consider, and I know what I'm looking for. In my search I did find 1 company in washington making some really cool, inexpensive waders. Unfortunately they were out of stock in my size but my search continues. If anyone is curious, the brand is called DRYFT, and they make some pretty cool stuff

I looked at their waders at the sportmans show. They seem to be very well made. I didn't order any as my budget waders haven't leaked yet, knocking on wood sound.

Reactions: HombreLibro85
jhop111
jhop111
Get the dryfts when there on sale. I personally run Simms G4Z but tons of folks run dryfts and are happy.

B
Barefoot
USIA makes waders.
NW Oregon company when I bought from them.
Custom made to your specs with considerable options.

Not cheap but bulletproof.

I've owned one of their dry suits for years.

Last edited:
Artwo
Artwo
Barefoot said:
USIA makes waders.
NW Oregon company when I bought from them.
Custom made to your specs with considerable options.

Not cheap but bulletproof.

I've owned one of their dry suits for years.
Be careful with the USIA waders. Although they are known to be very durable waders, the do not breath. So, if you are a beat the brush kind of fisherman you will run into sweating issues.....................I've never owned them, just relaying what I've read from those that have.

SciFly
SciFly
Socaaron said:
That being said The Fly Shop waders stack right up there with the big boys that cost two to three times the price or more and they're based out of Redding California. Price $170ish
I too have had many different brands and levels of waders. Just replaced a pair of Gold Medal Guide (~$275) waders from Cabelas. They were fantastic and lasted about 5 years of pretty heavy use. Got stuck in an enormous patch of blackberry bushes last season and they have now gone the way of the Dodo. Chose to give The Fly Shop waders a shot ($179 including free delivery). WOW! Love them so far. Just unpacked them, and still wearing as I type this response. A couple things to note: knees and seat feel like legit, durable material. Front storage has waterproof zippers for hand-warmer area (have only seen this on Simms waders at 3X the $$$. Inner pocket that folds (usually put your camera or phone and wallet in this one) has three separate zippered pockets where almost all others only have one large pocket. Suspenders stay separated nicely so you don't confuse left vs right when pulling over shoulders, but feel comfortably stable on my shoulders without wanting to slip off. Belt is flexible (I'm 50/50 between preference of flex vs non). However, there are two belt loops. Almost all others have just one (except for Simms...see above...3X $$$). Booties feel well contoured to my feet. I have wide feet and cannot comfortably wear shoes like Chuck Tailor One-Stars, etc. Gators are well enough over sized to easily cover your boots without feeling like your assembling that last cross-brace on a brand new cot for the first time. Unconditional 30 day warranty. Free repair or replacement during first year (at their discretion) for manufacture defects other than "...abuse, improper care, punctures, damage, or wear and abrasion that's a result of heavy use". The more I examine these, the more I feel that their secret manufacturer of their wader line is Simms, but that is just a guess. At $179 I am VERY IMPRESSED. Pretty sure my "Which brand of waders do I try out this time?" dance is over. Buying these until they stop selling them. Oh, and by the way, love that shop and their customer service. Been a big fan. Still a big fan. Best of luck, and tight lines!

• New Waders.1.jpg
  • New Waders.2.jpg
  • New Waders.3.jpg
Reactions: HombreLibro85
B
BrandonBeach
Go breathable waders unless cold winter fishing or duck hunting, then neoprene waders are fine if your not walking to far in them.

I have had about 4-5 different brands Of breathable waders, all but one brand last Me just 1 or 2 years.

Simms is the one brand that lasts. I am on my 7th year in my Simms G4. Probably get a couple more. Yes they are expensive at first, but the payback is in the number of years you get out of them. AND if there is a problem ( run in with a sunken barbed wire fence ) with them, send them back to Simms and they will fix them for a VERRY reasonable fee. Simms has legendary customer service. Save the box in case you have to ship them back.

Also, Simms waders fit way better then other brands if sized correctly. This is a big issue if your spending lots of long days in them.

I have no connection with Simms whatsoever.. I just like their products.

Moral of the story : Go cheap and buy more often, Buy quality and buy once.

just my INFORMED opinion. Take it or leave it.

BB

SciFly
SciFly
BrandonBeach said:
Moral of the story : Go cheap and buy more often, Buy quality and buy once.

just my INFORMED opinion. Take it or leave it.
Great perspective, and I typically practice this with the vast majority of my purchases. My most recent breathables (described above) were the guide model "Gold Medal" waders from Cabela's (paid $250 at the time). They lasted me 5 years and would have gone on for several more had the blackberry incident not happened. Just saying, it was f*****g horrible. I had their original "Ultimate Hunting Waders" when they first came out. Neoprene, 1600 gram Thinsulate boots, off-the-charts durability. They cost me $230 back in 1993(?). That was a s**t-ton of money for me back then, especially for waders. Those waders lasted me 16 years (not a typo...sixteen years) of hard use hunting and full seasons of fishing in the freezing winter seasons of a very alkaline Pyramid Lake. Crazy. Those things were freaking bullet proof. When I called Cabela's to redeem the Lifetime Warranty the phone operator laughed out loud for a good time. Said it was by far the longest he had ever heard of any waders lasting. Gave me full credit for purchase price and I paid the difference of the new model, and they included free shipping. Boots leaked first test. Returned to store in Reno (lived there at the time). Boots leaked first test. Returned again. Boots and crotch leaked first test. Was very frustrated, and to top it off, the return staff were getting pissy. Applied the money toward the Gold Medal breathables and vowed to never buy another pair of Cabela's waders again. First outing...the damn booties leaked.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! They had obviously farmed out their products to save a penny and in the process ruined what used to be a brand you could hang your hat on. Sad. Returned and replaced with another pair. Luckily, those were water tight and ended up standing the test of time. WILL NOT take another chance on them, however, and after careful consideration chose to explore The Fly Shop waders. They really do look and feel like Simms, and if nothing else would be an excellent back-up pair. TFS sacrifices profits on their name brand items (hooks, waders, rods, reels) to retain customers that will hopefully utilize them for higher end equipment and guided trips, either local or world wide. When these waders are ready for the glue factory I will be stepping up to the Simms for sure. Loved your response. You sold me!

As for my hunting versions, I went with a high-end model offered by Scheels, "Banded Black Label". They are insulated and have very warm boots, but are not neoprene. The legs actually look and feel like pants rather than waders. Awesome in all regards. The fit and walkability far exceed any other hunting wader I have worn. Great pocket systems too. Worth checking out if you're in the market for hunting waders. Be prepared though, as they are not inexpensive (nor are they cheap). Paid just under $400 for mine (7...8...9 years ago???). Can't remember. On sale now at Mack's PW for $390, regular price listed at $650.

P.S. @BrandonBeach what is the repair price for a pair of Simms?

B
BrandonBeach
“P.S. @BrandonBeach what is the repair price for a pair of Simms?”

I think 50$ ish + shipping.
For that they also sewed on new booties a bigger size, they called and asked if I wanted a bigger size because they saw wear on the toe tip area. I wear size 13.

Sims has a great guarantee, they are onshore, Montana, and you can actually talk to knowledgable people on the phone.

I am tough on my waders, been duck hunting in the brush with them, clam dig 3-4 times a year, brush hog in the streams fly fishing, surf fishing.

If not for something sharp in a stream in Canada (it was old barbed Wire) my g4 sims would have been 100% leak proof.

Don’t discount customer service, Simms has great CS.

BB

Reactions: SciFly
HombreLibro85
HombreLibro85
Hooked Up said:
I looked at their waders at the sportmans show. They seem to be very well made. I didn't order any as my budget waders haven't leaked yet, knocking on wood sound.
Finally purchased a pair of their wader pants and they are just awesome!!!

Reactions: Hooked Up and Admin
B
BrandonBeach
HombreLibro85 said:
Finally purchased a pair of their wader pants and they are just awesome!!!
Where are those made?

HombreLibro85
HombreLibro85
B
BrandonBeach
Just went to their website, it looks like all the waders are on back order or out of stock. Looking for a cost effective pair for my wife, she will use them once or twice a year.

Am I doing something wrong here? Great looking web site.

BB

Aervax
Aervax
I lost count of how many and which brands of waders I've owned over the years. I've hit on just about every brand at some point. Fly fishing and duck hunting for 42 years and guiding waterfowl hunters in my young gun days.

I have heard great things about dryft waders. I wanted to buy some last fall, but ran into problems getting the size I wanted. Though I was slavering for Simms G4 too, they just didn't fit my budget at that moment. As next alternative I went with Simms Freestone this time around and used them frequently over the last 10 months. For the money Simms Freestone are the best waders I have owned. Tougher. More comfortable. No leaks. No surprises.

I would stick with Dryft or better for your wife. I also liked what SciFly said about his new waders earlier in this string. We fish together. He fishes a lot and analyzes pros and cons, maybe a little bit ad nauseum 😉, which I relate to well.

My personal experience, low budget waders frequently spring leaks seemingly spontaneously without even coming into contact with a rough or sharp object. I learned that lesson with Frog Toggs years ago, and repeated it with other brands a couple times.

When I get Mary out on the water on a cold day there is nothing worse than finding any kind of a leak in the cold current. Women get colder faster, and they stay that way longer than us uncivilized Neanderthals. That can ruin what should have been a perfect fishing outing for everyone in a hurry.

Reactions: BrandonBeach and SciFly
Artwo
Artwo
Like Aervax said above, I too wear the Simms Freestones and really like them. I've had mine for about five years now and I bank fish about 60 days a year and I've had no issues/leaks that I didn't cause myself. On my recommendation my neighbor that I fish with occasionally bought a pair before last winter steelhead season. His ended up at the end of the winter season with a leak in the foot area. He sent them back to Simms for repair and they just replaced them with their current model (a little nicer pocket arrangement). Their customer service has a very good reputation........For the money, really nice set of waders in my opinion.

Reactions: SciFly
B
BrandonBeach
Nothing but Simms for me, but I just can’t put that kind of cabbage into a pair for the better half’s semi annual outings.

We are looking for mid range here, I’m done with the one year throw aways.

DRYFT looks like they have none available, if, I am reading their site correctly..would consider ordering a pair if I could.

BB