Plunking for springers...Advice please

C_Run
C_Run
I see that as of today there are 16 springers over the dam at OC. So, there are probably 50 people at the social security hole trying to get them by now. I haven't driven out to check yet.

I only put in a little effort on this type of fishing every year and always use the same rig I was originally shown which is a big spin and glow, bead, and cured prawn. I am ok with this set up but was interested in what others use for terminal gear/bait. What has worked for you? I am always looking for something new to try. Thank you.

M
markasd
Seems like you've been in my plunkin' tackle! I run two setups, 3' leaders red spin n pist off the bottom, green spin n pist off the top. Tipped with fresh or cured prawn. This from what I've seen is a go to on the Willy above the falls. Eggs kinda suck unless is paired with a shrimp under a bobber in the back eddy's. Eggs alone plunked get everything BUT chinook!
Good luck - I'll be starting to play down there soon I hope. I usually fish around the Salem/Keizer area.

Mark

O
OnSafari
where is Social Security Hole, and What is OC? Sorry for the newby questions but that is exactly what I am...

M
metalfisher76
Oregon City. not exactly sure where the Social Security Hole is, I`ve heard of it, there for I stay away:)

Some guys clip a wiggle wart to the main line and run it to a pinned corky up a few feet up from weight/bottom. I think yer feeshin good! I`ll say to make sure yer on a sliding system so they don`t feel all that tension when they begin mouthing, if yer not already doing that.
If it were me and there was room I`d prolly toss spinners right below or above the plunkers.

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks for responses. I will make some changes . I did just drive through the social security parking lot this morning ( Lloyd-Strange County Park) and there were a couple of diehards there already. So hats off to those guys. I have seen it where there were more cars there than fish over the dam in the past during the early season. I have a quieter spot closer to my house I prefer but it is a good spot if you like a lot of company and to be able to sit in you car while you wait for the bell to ring.

brandon4455
brandon4455
C_Run said:
I see that as of today there are 16 springers over the dam at OC. So, there are probably 50 people at the social security hole trying to get them by now. I haven't driven out to check yet.

I only put in a little effort on this type of fishing every year and always use the same rig I was originally shown which is a big spin and glow, bead, and cured prawn. I am ok with this set up but was interested in what others use for terminal gear/bait. What has worked for you? I am always looking for something new to try. Thank you.
i fish the social security hole, but im smart enough to wait a while after good numbers go over Lmao maybe ill see you down there some time. mark will probably join me sometime too. my rig for plunking on the willy is a simple one.. i use a three way barrel swivel and attach the tag end to the top and leader to the bottom.. the obvious.. i run a pink,orange or my fav chartruese sparkle or lime chartruese with a cured prawn or sandshrimp along with it. and asince there is a third loop i attach another line a couple inches long to that and attach a pyramid weight to that. very simple and easy rig to use and can still be effective.

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
One more question while we are on the subject. Do you guys bother to thread the prawn with a threader or do you just put part or whole on the hook as-is? I have been threading them but did not hear anyone here or on old threads on the subject say that they did. I wonder if it matters.

C
chrisohm
Nine days with no response! How sad...what I have seen, most people put them on whole, sometimes with a threader but I have seen some people that will use just the tail and wrap it on with mono. I figure that the more natural the bait looks the better. We are talking about fish though and I hardly believe they are intelligent enough to even notice the difference