Plunking for springers above the falls

M
Modest_Man
Anyone try this? I've heard whispers that it's possible. I'm looking to try maybe St. Paul area, Champoeg, Molalla River State Park, or the Wheatland ferry. Just looking for some access points. I'm pretty much just hoping to read a book in some nice weather for a couple hours, if a fish bites all the better. :cool:

B
beaverfan
brandon4455
brandon4455
ive hooked fish way above the falls. just use a few ounces of pyramind weight, a spin glo, and some prawns or sand shrimp and BAM!

M
Modest_Man
beaverfan said:
They pull some fish outta this spot.

Google Maps

I hear the locals there can be scary. That is on my radar to check out. Only a 15 minute drive away from my place.

T
TROUTAHOLIC
Modest_Man said:
I hear the locals there can be scary. That is on my radar to check out. Only a 15 minute drive away from my place.
Yah they dont really like new comers, and this spot is hit or miss depending on river levels

18406ej
18406ej
There are some spots just outside of Independence and the Wheatland Ferry (East bank) can be good. Let me know if you need more information,

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah the social security hole is producing quite a few fish right now.

Gunga
Gunga
I have a question about plunking. What exactly is plunking i keep hearing about it but have no idea to what technique it is. Can anybody help me out? Any info would be apreciated.

D
Drew9870
Plunking = Fishing a stationary bait/lure that is somehow being held to the bottom.

Gunga
Gunga
Drew9870 said:
Plunking = Fishing a stationary bait/lure that is somehow being held to the bottom.

Thanks for the info Drew.

M
Modest_Man
Just got done practicing casting with the new rod and reel setup...bait casters are "interesting".

M
markasd
Isn't learning fun? LOL - OH boy...

O
Outdoor_Myers
Modest_Man said:
Just got done practicing casting with the new rod and reel setup...bait casters are "interesting".

I hit up the ferry spot a few times already but the river was up real high on sunday me and my buddy didn't get a nibble. might go again this weekend on saturday if the weather holds up and fish begin movin more and river stabilizes.

Reactions: n8r1
W
waco
Modest_Man said:
yes they are :rolleyes: and very tricky too!!! :shock:

Reactions: Markcanby
M
Modest_Man
I'm standing in the yard with a 5oz weight dangling off the end of the pole thinking "how do I flip the drag on this reel"? Push the button, weight falls to the ground, rats nest.

Didn't even get a cast on it. Ha.

Wasn't bad though, as long as I kept some thumb tension on the spool everything was dandy. I'm ready to fish.

Reactions: Markcanby
M
Modest_Man
I just twisted up half a dozen Spin-N-Glo setups using left over spinner wire, beads, and tubing. I'll share photos in the morning, I think they look tasty but who knows about the fish.

W
waco
Modest_Man said:
I'm standing in the yard with a 5oz weight dangling off the end of the pole thinking "how do I flip the drag on this reel"? Push the button, weight falls to the ground, rats nest.

Didn't even get a cast on it. Ha.

Wasn't bad though, as long as I kept some thumb tension on the spool everything was dandy. I'm ready to fish.
Casting bigger weighs are easy wait until you cast little weigh!!!

B
BankWalker
I think anything two tone, chartruse, or darkcolors and glitter are pretty good for spin-n-glos but that may just be me. I've been testing the waters with rebel craws lately but no luck.

B
BankWalker
Sorry to post twice but what rod did you buy if you don mind my asking? I'm looking for something i can plunk and take surf fishing.

M
Modest_Man
I picked up an Okuma Celilo, 9' 20-40lb 1-5oz and a Shimano Corsair used for $60.

Also, here's what I twisted up last night. Only have chartreuse, red, pink, and glow beads and red, green, and chartreuse tubing but I think they came out decent.
DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg