Plug gap

C
Charlie_merrifi
So i bought two plugs at my work. The plugs that were in it were champion l78v. They sold me ngk 5626 plugs. Will they work

C
Charlie_merrifi
I read somewhere online thay are a. 071 gap. That sound posdible

T
Thuggin4Life
you need to find out what kinda gap the motor requires I guess. then use a gapper and gap them to spec. I always buy my plugs at clemens marina so i get the ones for the motor. been 3 different kinda plugs for the 4 outboards i have had. same one both 15's. call your local boat/outboard dealer/parts store. you would be suprised how much they know about these kinda things and then you can get the parts you need from them.

H
Hawk
I still have my (1980) 15 horsepower Montgomerey Ward, 'Sea King' outboard.

For mine the manual says...use Champion L82 or equivalent plug. Gap is .030

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yah i know its a 030 gap for the motor. The plig online said. 071 and its a surface gap plug

T
Thuggin4Life
gap it to 30 and see how they run in the motor.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Im going to take them back. They ate surface gap and can't be changed

T
Thuggin4Life
oh well just go down to the boat shop in salem and ask for plugs for your motor.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Going in the morning

T
Thuggin4Life
Cool. you might mention any of th problems you are having with your motor.

C
Charlie_merrifi
didn't get to the boat shop. My work wont let me return the others but i got them exchanged for the same ones i was looking for originally. Come to find out they are a. 05 gap. What effects would it have running those with a motor that wants a. 030. Should i just buy the gappable ones from the boat shop and use theses.as spare

H
Hawk
I don't think i've ever had an outboard motor plug i gapped at 05

My Sea King motor i gap at .030
It hasn't always been a Champion plug. Sometimes i've gotten NGK or others, but i've gapped them all the same over the years, at .030

T
Thuggin4Life
ussually the ones that you buy at the boat shop will be gapped to what you need already. your work doesn't sell plugs that are gapped to what you need? couldn't you just get plugs and gap them yourself from your work? and were do you work that doesn't allow returns?

C
Charlie_merrifi
Power auto in corvallis. They arent gappable. Oh well just go to the boat