Please help!!!!!!

M

mac2142

hey people! i'm coming over from england in april/may time with my girlfriend to visit her family who live in oregon. I am a very keen fly fisherman and have been for years, although, i have never been to the states and can't wait to wet a line!! i would be very grateful for any information as regards species i can target, tackle i will need, rivers, lakes i should look to head for etc. i look forward to hearing from anyone who thinks they can be of any assistance. I currently use a 5 weight sage rpl plus and a 7 weight xp are these of any use to me?

cheers

Last edited:
G

Growbug

Hi there bro, I am originally from over there (Salford/Manchester.. but i got over it)
5 weight will be great for trout, 7 weight will be good for salmon/steelhead ( i have a 5/6 Cortland and a Lamiglass 7wt)
Almost everything else should be equivalent to what your used to. Read up on the differences of the fly patterns that there are on the different sides of the pond. I am sure someone over here can clue you in with a few when you get over here.
Where are you heading? There are loads of different fisheries all over Oregon!

M

mac2142

Thanks for the speedy response, much appriciated. can't quite remember where abouts we're heading to initially but think we're gonna travel around a bit. It seems pretty fishey everywhere but is there anywhere in particular i should be lookin at? Also what sort of fishing should i be expecting at that time of year. What fish will be about and how should i be approaching them?
Again thank you for the help.

T

Thuggin4Life

Too bad you weren't coming over in the spring when most of the trout season is open(there are some spots open). I always see guys out in the river in the spring fly fishing for trout. Sorry this is all I know other than there is a way to steelhead fish with a fly rod and you couldn't have picked a better time to come over for them and just about every coastal river and stream has them.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Mack2142, Hope you have a good trip over here. Don't leave that 7wt at home. If you are going to be here in May you could get on some great big bug dry fly fishing in the Deschutes river. That's around the time that the salmonfly hatch really get going. The lower Deschutes is a big water river with big redside trout, so down there I use my 7wt and floating line even when nymphing. Here is a site with information on the salmonfly, I'm NOT recomndeing these folks for anything, but that have a good picture of the salmonfly. When you narrow down where you will be I'm sure we can give you some more specific information.

M

mac2142

Thanks for all the info guys. Read a bit about the Deschutes think I will make a trip there for sure. As my limited budget is very much an issue, I was wondering if it would be possible to fish without a guide and, possibly, not from a boat. Also, what sort of tackle would be appropriate for the Steelhead as i would love to have a crack at them.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Thanks for all the info guys. Read a bit about the Deschutes think I will make a trip there for sure. As my limited budget is very much an issue, I was wondering if it would be possible to fish without a guide and, possibly, not from a boat. Also, what sort of tackle would be appropriate for the Steelhead as i would love to have a crack at them.

You do NOT need a guide to fish the deschutes. You just need to head to the town of Maupin. Pleanty of bank access either up or down river. Boats on the Deschuts river are only for transportation. Fishing form a boat is not allowed on the river. You'll keep busy all day bank fishing near Maupin, but maily for trout. The Deschutes has a great run of summer steelhead (August to October) is the best time.

Last edited:
M

mac2142

Sounds good. What's the bank space situation in an area like that. Will I be shoulder to shoulder with other anglers or will I have space to myself. I live in London and need to escape the hustle and bustle. Also, how much would a typical day ticket be?

thanks. I appreciate the advice.

L

Last Cast

There is a ton of bank acess around the town of Maupin. you will not have a problem finding a hole to fish by yourself if you so choose.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Sounds good. What's the bank space situation in an area like that. Will I be shoulder to shoulder with other anglers or will I have space to myself. I live in London and need to escape the hustle and bustle. Also, how much would a typical day ticket be?

thanks. I appreciate the advice.
Last Cast is absoultly correct lots of room and even better during the week. The total population of Oregon is less than 4 million and most of them live on the west side of the state. The Deschutes is in Central Oregon and the Town of Maupin has a population somewhere near 400. The 2009 day license was $12 it might be up a wee bit in 2010. Here is a site for Maupin. Which town are you going to be staying in?

Last edited:
M

mac2142

We're buying a beat up motor home so pretty much wherever we want. My girlfriend was born in Oregon and moved over here when she was 3. She has family over there so when we're done visiting them we will see as much of the place as possible.
Having never caught a salmon the Deschutes is sounding very inviting. Can't believe how cheap a day ticket is! That sort of money wouldn't even get me a train fare to any resonable sort of fishing near London. I'm sure it wouldn"t be half as wild and prett yas it is there either.
Are there any other sort of state laws and regulations I should know about?
What about lake fishing?

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
If you have a motor home you can cover a lot of fishing locations. You might want to check out the Crooked River fro trout on the fly, or if it's big fish you might head to the coast for salmon. On the Deschutes it is mostly catch and release. They do allow two fish to be kept but it's on a slot limit. Two fish between 10 inches and 13 inches. Here is another site for you, check out the fishing section. (flies and lures only no bait)

M

mac2142

the type of fishing i do over here dictates that i only ever really use a floating or very slow intermidiate fly line. would it be worth buying some faster sinking versions?

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
the type of fishing i do over here dictates that i only ever really use a floating or very slow intermidiate fly line. would it be worth buying some faster sinking versions?

Floating line works very well on the Deschutes even for nymphing. If you are going to go after steelhead somewhere a sinking tip or line would be prefered. It makes it a lot easier to get the fly down to where the fish hang out. I uses sinking tips on my Spey rod set up, and sometimes use weighted flies.

M

mac2142

Do you think it would be worth investing in a spey set up? I'm going to be over ther for a while and plan to fish quite a few different waters, I'd like to get the most out of the fishing as possible. If so what length and line rating would you recommend for the rod?

M

mac2142

Thanks for the links by the way

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Do you think it would be worth investing in a spey set up? I'm going to be over ther for a while and plan to fish quite a few different waters, I'd like to get the most out of the fishing as possible. If so what length and line rating would you recommend for the rod?

I wouldn't unless spey fishing is something you really wanted to get into. I got into because I recieved the rod as a gift, and I'm retired with lots of time on my hand. I like a lot of different fishing methods and the spey fishing was a new and fun way to fish.