Please help!!!

D

Dish-Dawg

I am a trout fisherman to the core, I moved here from northern Idaho in 1992 and have'nt been able to get out as much as i would like. I live in the gresham area and am looking for a few places to catch some nice trout, i have fished NFR, Harriet and a few of the lakes in eastern oregon with not much luck just small stockers. I would like to catch a few lunkers for the smoker. Please help.:(

troutdude

troutdude

I am a trout fisherman to the core, I moved here from northern Idaho in 1992 and have'nt been able to get out as much as i would like. I live in the gresham area and am looking for a few places to catch some nice trout, i have fished NFR, Harriet and a few of the lakes in eastern oregon with not much luck just small stockers. I would like to catch a few lunkers for the smoker. Please help.:(

Wow, you've fished NFR and Harriet without much luck? There are big Browns and Bows in both. What kinds of methods are you using?

BTW, welcome to OFF!

D

Dish-Dawg

Mostly banked it, I trolled NFR a few times before i got rid of my boat (caught nothing) I tried the rock near the dam at harriet, limmited out on the stockers. I use power bait while bank fishin.

troutdude

troutdude

I've only fished NFR once, and did really well casting Rooster Tails...where one of the creeks flows in on the North side. But, I've known guys (and read threads on here), of peeps catching fish from NFR. Same it true of Harriet.

I'm surprised that trolling did not produce. If I was gonna troll it, I'd try flat lining a Ford Fender flasher set, about 3 feet of leader, and a night crawler on the hook. Or, same set up but with a wedding ring spinner and worm. (A red/hot pink or green/black bodied wedding ring works quite well in most lakes most of the time).

That same gear should produce in Harriet too, I would think. Although, I'd also try Rapala's for the Browns; and maybe a brass Little Cleo, Kastmaster or Needlefish for the big bows.

And, I would think that Power Bait would work too. I use Power Eggs in colors of Green, Orange, Chartruese, White, Pink/White or Red. A lot of times, trout will only hit a certain color; so I take a variety. Rocky points with a drop off into deeper water are good places; as are creek/river inlets.

Have you searched this forum, for threads about those two lakes? If not, you will find a lot more information that I'm sure will help.

Last edited:
J

JKham

You're not that far away to drive up to Mt Hood for some nice trout fishing. I am a little bumped about the late season snow we're having right now because it's going to delay the road openings for Clear Lake and Frog Lake but it's awesome for snowboarding.

L

liquidplumber

Trillium has some nice fish also but rarely on powerbait.Stop at the fly shop on the way up they are very helpful.Good luck!

F

frodog

When I fish Harriet I thow spinners first if that doesn't seem to get it done I use bobber and eggs with a small hook. I let my bait sit 4-5 ft. below the bobber and stay close to the cliffs or under the shade trees.

M

mthoodrider

Try Rock Creek Reservoir for big lunkers, this time of the year is the best time to catch the big ones there. It's a long drive there during the winter, but it's worth it. My buddy just pulled a 28" and a 23" brooders from there last week. With this cold front that moved in , I bet it pushed all the fish towards the dam. I'll be there this weekend. Hope to tie in to some big ones:pray::pray:

Top Bottom