Please help! Fishing regulations

R
rubyrain
we are going on vacation in june and trying to find a place for my husband to fish. we want to find somewhere where it is not catch and release. i keep getting different answers about the sandy river. we want to stay around the mt. hood area. does antbody knoe the regulations for the sandy river, zig zag river, salmon and other lakes in the area around sandy, welchs, zig zag, etc.
thank you

L
lcsodiver
Well to be honest the best thing you can do is read the regs for yourself. The booklets are available most, if not all, places licenses are sold.

I always make sure to keep a copy in my tackle box, just incase a question comes up or I decide to fish somewhere I wasn't planning on fishing!

Good luck and tight lines!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF!

I'm not sure how far away Harriet Lake is. But, if you're looking for a good trout lake...you'll want to investigate that one. To me, it would be worth driving an hour or more. And it's got nice Brown Trout.

C
chris61182
rubyrain said:
we are going on vacation in june and trying to find a place for my husband to fish. we want to find somewhere where it is not catch and release. i keep getting different answers about the sandy river. we want to stay around the mt. hood area. does antbody knoe the regulations for the sandy river, zig zag river, salmon and other lakes in the area around sandy, welchs, zig zag, etc.
thank you

Sandy River (Multnomah/Clack. Co.):
1. Mainstem and tributaries upstream
to ODFW markers at the mouth of
Salmon River
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon Feb. 1-Oct. 31.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped coho salmon entire year.
• Closed within 200 feet of Chinook salmon spawning areas located in Oxbow Park
where posted by ODFW markers Sept. 16-Nov. 15.
• No angling from a floating device upstream from a point that is 200 feet below the
Oxbow Park boat ramp.
• Use of bait allowed.
2. Mainstem and tributaries upstream
from ODFW markers at the mouth of
Salmon River, including the Salmon
River
• Open to steelhead July 1-Aug. 31.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures with a single point hook no larger than 1/2
inch gap (size 1) and multiple point hook no larger than 3/8 inch gap (size 4).
• No limit on size or number of brook trout taken. Catch limits on other trout species do
not apply to brook trout.

Those who are more familiar with the area than I, feel free to correct me, but I believe the Zig Zag River and the Salmon River would fall under #2. There's no mention of season for trout so it would be the Zone Regulations of May 28 - Oct 31. And just make sure you can tell a bull trout, which you can't keep, from a brook trout, which you can keep.

Another river to look at if you're after catch and keep is the Oak Grove Fork of the Clakamas above Harriet Lake. In addition to the unlimited on brook trout, there's a 2 fish limit on the other trout.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I live about 14 miles from Welches and fish the area often. If you are to be here in June you can forget the Salmon, Zig Zag, and Sandy above the Mouth of the Sandy. They do not open until July 1st as you can see from Chris's post ubove. The Sandy is not known as a great trout river. It's a much better steelhead and salmon river. What are you going to be fishing for? Trout? Steelhead? How do you like to fish? Bait, spinners fly? As previously mentioned by "OnTheFly" There is Trillium, Clear, and Timothy Lakes. There also is Frog, Laurence, and Lost Lake. Bring your rain gear.;)

R
rubyrain
thank you everyone for all the help and info. my husband said that i can plan this vacation as long as i find him someplace that he can bank fish, keep what he catches, he will fish for anything thats in the water, he likes to use live bait and would like me to find him a rental where he could open the back door and just walk to the fishing. so on that note and reading all your replies , i have decided on the perfect place for my husband and his fishing pole...... i'm going to leave them both at HOME!!!!!!!:lol:
thanks again
ruby

troutdude
troutdude
rubyrain said:
he likes to use live bait ruby

Ruby, you are most welcome.

But you/he really need to READ Oregon regulations BEFORE going out to fish...as live bait is NOT permitted in many bodies of water.

C
chris61182
troutdude said:
Ruby, you are most welcome.

But you/he really need to READ Oregon regulations BEFORE going out to fish...as live bait is NOT permitted in many bodies of water.

Just an interesting observation, we tend to colloquially think of live bait as being only live fish, but to other people earthworms and grasshoppers are just as alive, and we can get our wires crossed when discussing it :).

In a nutshell, live fish, crayfish, leeches, along with lamprey or goldfish dead or alive are all forbidden. But besides that, live worms and bugs are fine anywhere bait is ok.

Irishrover
Irishrover
rubyrain said:
thank you everyone for all the help and info. my husband said that i can plan this vacation as long as i find him someplace that he can bank fish, keep what he catches, he will fish for anything thats in the water, he likes to use live bait and would like me to find him a rental where he could open the back door and just walk to the fishing. so on that note and reading all your replies , i have decided on the perfect place for my husband and his fishing pole...... i'm going to leave them both at HOME!!!!!!!:lol:
thanks again
ruby
Truthfully what you are discribing, you'll find on the upper Deschutes near LaPine, or Sunriver. I would not want to waste a vaction trying to fish the Welches area in June. If you want sunshine, walk to the river fishing and a fun time head to Central Oregon and enjoy the upper Deschutes.;)

S
sharkhead
follow on the flys advice but i would add frog lake to the list and remember dropper line. did i mention dropper line