Play day

F
firepilot
Have the day off tomorrow and going for Steelhead. Still trying to catch the first one on a fly. Leaving Bend westbound at 4:00 am, anyone have a good direction to head? Fished the Sandy and North Santiam last week. Just wondering if anyone wants to hook up? Any good water with everything so low. I know the end of the week the water is supposed to come up, probably better next week. I have to head out for 2 weeks for work starting Friday.

Any direction is appreciated. I am thinking the Sandy around Oxbow, or North Santiam and then Mollalla. Won't rule out the coast if it is worth it.

Thanks

Phil

E
eggs
If I were you i would hit the clackamas or upper sandy around dodge up to the hatchery @ ceder creek....

D
Damon79
Coming from Bend.....

Coming from Bend.....

I would hit the Siuslaw if you are coming over the Mckenzie.. If you don't know how to get there, just head toward Florence. When you get to the 26 mile marker on HWY 126 get ready to turn left on the Siuslaw River Road. Stay to the left at the Y in the road. There is lots of bank access there. You can access the opposite side of the river by walking through Whitaker Cr. campground.

Y
youngbuck307
just so you know spent 8+hours around dodge today and only one fish was pulled out of that whole streach buy a guy up river from me at the time..... the part that sucked the most is had my shades on and this bright reflection catches my eye.... well was the sun hitting the side of his fish..... Other than that talked to every person and no one seen anything evan roll......

sorry if its not the report you wanted but at least a heads up

T
Thuggin4Life
if you come to the slaw bring your combat boots...

F
firepilot
Great Day

Great Day

Well thanks for the words everyone. I went to Dodge for a bit and just wasn't feeling it. Went to the original plan and hit Oxbow.

Started fishing the first run and TugTugTug fish on! Killer battle with a nice chrome native. I'm guessing about 28-29 inches and he was mad. The fish took my line right to the backing and then I got some back. We did this a couple of times and I finally got him to hand.

Talk about an adrenaline rush, it was my first Steelhead on a swung fly.

I moved down the river to another good looking spot and tried it as well. On about the 4-5 spey cast I had another fish on! I couldn't believe it! This was a smaller hatchery fish. I bonked that one on the head and will be headed to the recipe page next.

Well worth 5 hours of driving, and standing in the river in the rain by myself. Now to go babysit the helicopter in South Carolina for a few weeks. Can't wait to come home and hit it again.

I lurk a lot but thanks for the great forum.

Will post a few pictures when I get it figured out.

Phil

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
awsome day! the rest of the fish come a lot easier.. the first can be the hardest. I think this rain is gonna have a tremendous effect on the fishing by saturday.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Slay fest

Slay fest

firepilot;
Congrats on the slay fest!! :dance: You are soooo hooked now. Your life will not be the same. Way to go! :clap:
Be safe back there on the helo watch. Hope you don't get caught in the snow storm. Keep us posted.

C
Cohosanders
firepilot said:
Well thanks for the words everyone. I went to Dodge for a bit and just wasn't feeling it. Went to the original plan and hit Oxbow.

Started fishing the first run the first run and TugTugTug fish on! Killer battle with a nice chrome native. I'm guessing about 28-29 inches and he was mad. The fish took my line right to the backing and then I got some back. We did this a couple of times and I finally got him to hand.

Talk about an adrenaline rush, it was my first Steelhead on a swung fly.

I moved down the river to another good looking spot and tried it as well. On about the 4-5 spey cast I had another fish on! I couldn't believe it! This was a smaller hatchery fish. I bonked that one on the head and will be headed to the recipe page next.

Well worth 5 hours of driving, and standing in the river in the rain by myself. Now to go babysit the helicopter in South Carolina for a few weeks. Can't wait to come home and hit it again.

I lurk a lot but thanks for the great forum.

Will post a few pictures when I get it figured out.

Phil
:clap:Nice one firepilot phil. I have been wanting to hit up Oxbow since it has been a while. Great fish story. I am looking forward to my first on the fly!!!!!

Y
youngbuck307
Way to go I was so happy to see rain today.... ready to hit the water hard the next few days i think....

O
OnTheFly
Oxbow

Oxbow

definitely worth the five bucks when the bite's on!