Platt 1 Reservoir

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I had paddled the lake before and caught a few but knew with yesterday's conditions it would be perfect: and it paid off.

I was able to paddle the flats and find 3 really nice fish, one of them being my 2021 Oregon PB so far.

All 3 were cruising in the sun, but as I went to net the last one I didn't scoop low enough, and grabbed just the hook in the net, which immediately unhooked the fish. I have been thinking about a larger net, now might be the time.

5lbs 13oz
3lbs 6oz
Lost one was somewhere in between, it chased my bait down 3 times before comitting, and I saw it out of the water once as it jumped away from my net.

Release:

Reactions: fromthelogo, bass, Troutski and 1 other person
G
Gulfstream
NICE!

Reactions: bucketman009
F
FisherMark
Plats are ways of organizing land, and the Plats are organized by alphabet. The reservoir in Sutherlin is on Plat I road, so is called the Plat I reservoir. Nice fish. I am more of a trout fisherman at present, but am trying to learn more about fishing for bass. In Sutherlin we have Plat I, Cooper Creek reservoir, and Ford's Pond, as well as all the Smallmouth in the Umpqua River.

B
bucketman009
This the season for those small lake Largemouth.

C
Clbagshaw
There is some big largies in there.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Visited today for about an hour, but got a break in the wind and booked it out of there at the perfect time. Supposed to be SW at 14moh and I believe it. Only spooked one decent fish.

4.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo
C
Clbagshaw
I went out there this last friday and caught a 3 and 1/2 pounder and a 5 pounder even. Which is my new Pb. My buddy i took had to one up me and caught a 5 1/2 pounder.

Reactions: Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Was either one blind in one eye?

I caught that 5-13 in the exact same spot it looks like

C
Clbagshaw
Not that I remember but it did have a wierdly small mouth.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Oregon genetics lol, need to drop some Florida strain up here!

C
Clbagshaw
I heard a rumor that they had put some largies out of Florida in there.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
That would definitely explain their size, but usually the mouths on Florida strain are as large as the girth at their stomach

Could be a mix

Everyone I talk to says there ain't no bass in there!

C
Clbagshaw
I have seen 5 5 pounders pulled out of there in the last 2 years. It seems like whenever you hook up with a bass in there its normally over 3.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Let's bump this, fished it all afternoon yesterday and landed 11 fish.

The res isn't quite full yet, so the cover is sparce. 8 of the 11 fish came off the same piece of structure in a foot of water, which was a blast.

I had to pull my trolling motor and paddle most of the afternoon, just too shallow, also forced me to fish a bank I wasn't interested in but the wind here is extremely dangerous, the way it sits in the valley it can be glass calm to white caps and 2' breachers within minutes.

Pays to listen, a kid at the ramp kept mentioning seeing crawfish, so that's what I threw. Stayed until dusk and was able to pick off quite a few with a Whopper plopper

Reactions: Diehard and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
2 fish today in an hour, unfortunately my trip was cut short

Lake is extremely high, and pretty dirt. Vis is about a foot

Reactions: Admin and fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
5 fish yesterday. A 6lb-8oz fish and a 5lb-11oz were the best two

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Another 3, spent a lot of time mapping out the rest of the lake

Water is extremely high, it's into the grass at the park, no way to launch without backing the whole rig into the water

C
Catchindonks
Nice fish! I heard from someone that Plat dried up last year but must not be true with the size of those fish.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Catchindonks said:
Nice fish! I heard from someone that Plat dried up last year but must not be true with the size of those fish.
It dries up every year just about, in the winter it gets down to a few creeks and a little puddle at the spillway, those bass must have a hiding spot but it's a miracle they make it through!

Word is that the city stopped stocking Platt so they could stock.fords pond, that fell through and now neither of them get anything!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Been a good minute, thought the fishing with that severe pressure drop and rain would be great but we were way off!

One small fish and a definite answer to whether or not my rain gear is waterproof anymore, it is not.

The lake is high and pretty clear, loads of fish fry and the weeds are in full swing, I had one big female chase down a swimbait but wouldn't commit.

Top Bottom