Plastic beer can rings

troutdude
troutdude
In my not so humble opinion: whoever leaves these damn things on the banks of our streams and lakes--or along our coastal shorelines--should be found, bound, and sent for a "swim" with the creatures that they destroy by littering!

18406ej
18406ej
I have never found these rings to be all that handy in the first place. I was always surprised that Gov Tom McCall didn't address the prohibition of these when he was taking care of all of the other litter issues.

D
DYJ
this is the exact reason I always buy a 12 pack or better. :D

H
handmethewrench
I have been bummed out by some of the fishing litter I have seen. Line and powerbait containers. It is so easy to pack it out. I spent 10 years in southern california and I have seen how ugly it can get, I have had to clear a path of garbage before to get to a spot, it really sucks. I am not interested in telling people how to live but man, we really don't want a so-cal environment here.

Reactions: wozniasm
18406ej
18406ej
Line, Powerbait containers, Styrofoam bait/worm containers, beer cans and bottles, cigarette butts (I chew so I am only being a little bit hypocritical). You would think education is the answer, but that poor Native American on the TV has been shedding the same tear since I was about 6. Of course we could make all of these items out of biodegradable material, but it is a sad fact of life that some people will just throw their trash while others will collect it.

Welcome to OFF,

EJ

Reactions: wozniasm
W
wozniasm
I've seen used diapers (partially burnt) left in the fire pit since I've been here - disgusting!
As far as a smoker, I use a film canister or Gatorade bottle for my butts and discard them when I get home so I have no sympathy for those who trash the place with their butts! They can use the empty PB jars for butts too!

D
DYJ
wozniasm said:
As far as a smoker, I use a film canister

Film canister? The plastic thing that the SD card comes in???:lol:

That's a good idea. I flick the cherry, role up the butt and stick it in my pocket. Then forget about it until my wife swaps the laundry into the dryer and chews into my having cigarette butts all over her washing machine... not fun.

M
Modest_Man
Leave each place better than when you arrived. I've always been good about my own trash but am now trying to pick up ALL trash I find along the river. Trash dog helps.

You can't see it but his pack is full of beer/soda cans, cigarette packages, and monofilament.

P1020396.jpg

Reactions: colt
W
wozniasm
DYJ said:
Film canister? The plastic thing that the SD card comes in???:lol:

That's a good idea. I flick the cherry, role up the butt and stick it in my pocket. Then forget about it until my wife swaps the laundry into the dryer and chews into my having cigarette butts all over her washing machine... not fun.

No, no, no. A "film canister" is what 35 mm film comes in. You can usually get free ones from anyplace that processes film like Rite Aid, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, etc.
It holds about 6 or 7 butts.

W
wozniasm
Modest_Man said:
Leave each place better than when you arrived. I've always been good about my own trash but am now trying to pick up ALL trash I find along the river. Trash dog helps.

You can't see it but his pack is full of beer/soda cans, cigarette packages, and monofilament.

Your bud is 100 better than my kids! You lucky "dog"!

H
handmethewrench
Trash dog! rad! you guys are right, maybe if I pick up more I won't be so burned up about it.

Back in so-cal we would go out on these fishing charters out of San Pedro and catch sea bass and rock fish. It was a blast, tons of action, the captain would steer up toward the boils and we would all start bringing them it. The problem was that the boat held about 40 fisherman and they would toss their butts and beer cans in the water. it was high action so I sort of understood but it was crazy!

Anyway, this forum rocks. My dad is in town this weekend and we are going to go for my first Oregon salmon. If I ink my tag I will post pics....

L
LuckyToBeFishing
I buy bottles and recycle the glass. These kinds of people make me sick. I was a boy scout and was always taught to leave it better than when I arrived. One buddy I fish with has these cool ashtrays that are like coffee mugs with a hole in the top. He just chucks the butt into it and it extinguishes itself. When he gets home, he dumps it. Easy. I agree that it is so easy to pack out your trash. Hell, it's a lot harder to pack it in, right? The sad part is you can usually pack out just as much weight in someone else's trash. Although, it's worth it. After all, it's ALL OF OUR trash. I try to find myself just as responsible for the other guy's lack of Earthly Compassion. But, hey, I kind of love the place, myself...

Last edited:
C
cowboysfan
them people will eventually have this state shut up so tight you wont be able to go anywhere, I wish that they were caught and locked up then spend about three years worth of weekends on litter patrol. It sure gets a person riled up to talk about it. BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU TAKE IT IN TAKE IT OUT!simple!!!

K
kerrinmartin
We know that the plastic rings that hold six packs of cans together can often cause serious harm to marine animals, ending up around their necks and heads.

A packaging industry has brewed up a brilliant idea: Mumm Products in Elgin, IL, has supply photo-degradable six-pack rings that feed, rather than kill, marine life