Planning Brownlee trip

R
Ray
I bought a little 14 aluminum boat, and I would like to use it to go after the crappie in Brownlee. Anybody have any pointers for where who and when to go after them?

M
Markcanby
I know I wont start thinking about Crappie tell we are 60s on avg. But I have never fished Brownlee.

H
hawgin
I went there as a kid and it is one of my fondest memories! me and my best friend in his dads boat with jigs, needle nose pliers and a five gallon bucket each that we would fill up quickly! I remember it was July

J
joesnuffy
i don't have a recent fishing report but i heard of somebody going there a coup;le weeks ago. The water was too low to launch a boat because of work on the DAM itself. not sure about right now.

I know people start going in April and continue through fall.

J
joesnuffy
Also, if i remember, I'll ask around with a few people that should know for sure.

H
Hawk
Thar is a man with the username of Snake river, who has been catchin' reel nice crappie 10"- 12" & catfish, for about the last month. He's been catchin them on one of the Brownlee arms, & in the Snake river, i think. :D:cool::clap::clap::clap:
:dance::dance:

Water level in Brownlee has been up & down lately, it sounds like.

J
JAFO
Brownlee is 40 feet down and expected to remain that way through April. According to the local gossip the Powder River Arm has been the most productive but still slow. We have to drive clear to Woodhead Park to launch a boat cause everything else is out of the water. Regardless, middle of next month i'll be there anyway, trying to fill the freezer with Crappie and Catfish.

R
Ray
Yea I was thinking the same thing, stuff the freezer. I will hold off for a bit on the brownlee thing then. I might try over in Thief Valley res. Might be some action there on some trout at least.

J
joesnuffy
Ray said:
Yea I was thinking the same thing, stuff the freezer. I will hold off for a bit on the brownlee thing then. I might try over in Thief Valley res. Might be some action there on some trout at least.

I DID hear a good report about that. 14-16 inch average rainbows wre beign pulled out last week.

J
Jasony
I live out here, just went out saterday. I caught 25, 10-8 inchers. If I were you I wouldn't come out until the lake rizes up a little more and the temp comes up. It should be better fishing. Unless you are very experienced you will have a hard time. I was catching them in a cove suspended in 15 feet of water, using a slip bobber rig with two hand tied jigs, red and white,and, green and white. They would barely wiggle a small balsa float...It was tough. The best place to camp and put in is at the cemetary. there is porta-potties and a crude boat ramp (fine for 14 foot boat). It is good crappie fishing both directions from the cemetary (about ten miles up snake river road from huntington). I would guess that April 15th the water should be full pool and the temp up for some good fishing! good luck!

G
G3 fishin
I here Brownlee is 60 ft below full pool rite now and its sad to say but the nice crappie I was catching out of brownlee last year, have recently been flushed below brownlee dam, Id recommend going mid june above the oxbow dam, this dam is located below brownlee dam and can be real goodif the crappies get flushed from the brownlee section

G
G3 fishin
So do you think the crappies got flushed this year??? I heard it 60ft below full pool

J
JAFO
That's a myth. The Crappie are still there. This whole flush thing is B.S.

R
Ray
Anybody hear if the water is up yet? I was thinkin of headin over there on the 20th. I really want to catch some crappie.

J
joesnuffy
Info from that site looks good if your planning a trip on the 20th
Brownlee Reservoir Elevation Update - May 10, 2011
This is an update with the most current information regarding the operations of Brownlee Reservoir. On Friday, May 6th, Idaho Power and the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) reviewed the latest runoff forecast. The USACE made the decision to allow Idaho Power to begin a controlled refill of Brownlee Reservoir. The target given to Idaho Power is 2042 ft. Given this target elevation and forecasted inflows into Brownlee, we estimate getting to 2042 ft on or about May 19. After reaching the targeted elevation at Brownlee Reservoir, Idaho Power is to remain at 2042 ft until further direction from the USACE. This elevation will allow for the use of both Hewitt Park and Woodhead Park boat ramps. For questions regarding USACE flood control, please contact Karl Kanbergs"