Places to fly fish close to Eugene for a begginer

F
Fast Eddie
I know there are a ton of places to fish in and around the Eugene area. I am wondering if there are place people can recommend for someone who is begging to fly fish. I have fished at Alton Baker a couple times, Armitage up Deerhorn rd and below the Leaburg dam. I would love to find a wadable place close to Eugene (in the city would be ideal) with plenty of room to cast.

B
bran_man
armitage is actually a park in Eugene a ways north of Costco on coburg road in Eugene. its pretty infamous for fly fishing for native cutties, rainbows and resides. You can catch early run steelhead there too. up Deerhorn road is the same river (mckenzie) but not part of armitage. I would try there if you haven't already. There are quite a few places to park around by the old train bridge. Both sides of the river in that area have some good spots with plenty of room to cast. I have caught a few steelhead right under the bridge myself. probably none in there this time of year though. good luck

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I like to fly fish at clearwater park on the Willamette around 42 and Jasper Rd in Springtucky. The holding water is obvious and there is a lot of room both upstream and downstream of the ramp. The mckenzie has a lot more areas to fish though. Don't overlook going above leaburg dam. I really like to fish above Blue River. I don't know if that is too far for you but it's one of my favorite areas for trout. Just get on the Mckenzie River trail and you'll find plenty of good water.

R
rippin fish lips
Fast Eddie. Armitage Is a great place for you to be right now! Plenty of room to cast with quite a bit of wading opportunities right now. trout are rising, they are agressive, and are feeding heavily! Plenty of room for casting practice. I have 2 other places in mind, that i will PM you about. (would like to keep them on the DOWN LOW since these spots get little pressure (most of it coming from me). I know some really good fly water.

If you are looking to chase trout (that are biting) Stay below Hendricks bridge on the mckenzie river. Up deer horn you might find some holdover planter trout, with an occcasional native lurkin around. You might get lucky and come across a lurking summer run steelhead. But my advise... avoid it if your looking to catch fish. It's been dead up there. Stay low (unless going for steelhead).

Fish between the hours of 11:00am - 4:00pm if possible. That will be your best chance at hooking up. Trout have been rising from about 10am to dusk. Mid day is best (focus your fishing time during the heat of the day)

I am not a fly guy, i cast spinners/spoons but target water that fly guys do.

I will go out of my way and mention some fly's that you could/should use on the mckenzie river this time of year.

These insects are what is hatching on the mckenzie/middle fork willy....

Blue winged Olives, Lesser Green Drakes, Small orange caddis, October caddis, And a few short winged stone flys are still out there.

The trout are starting to stage up on their spawning beds. Fish the slower water in the 2-6 foot range. (depth has been changing every week) Look for slower pools/pockets/tailouts. Watch for rising fish and you will know where to be if fishing armitage!

PS... If you want to know about where the other spots i have in mind... feel free to send me a pm but keep it on the Down LOW because these spots can't handle a sht ton of pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelhead1
R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
I like to fly fish at clearwater park on the Willamette around 42 and Jasper Rd in Springtucky. The holding water is obvious and there is a lot of room both upstream and downstream of the ramp. The mckenzie has a lot more areas to fish though. Don't overlook going above leaburg dam. I really like to fish above Blue River. I don't know if that is too far for you but it's one of my favorite areas for trout. Just get on the Mckenzie River trail and you'll find plenty of good water.

You can never go wrong with Clear water! or aBove Leaberg damn!

B
bran_man
rippin fish lips said:
You can never go wrong with Clear water! or aBove Leaberg damn!

Just bring some bug spray if you go to Clearwater... so many mosquitos!!!

F
Fast Eddie
Thanks guys. I will give some of your suggestions a try. Clearwater park is sounding intriguing.