Places that can fix slightly broken casting pole?

M
MadDog
Hello all,

This last weekend I decided to take my kids warm water fishing at a local lake. To make a long story short when I went to reassemble my pole which had been fine 30 minutes earlier had a crushed / slightly splintered area about 4 inches beneath where the upper part of the pole gets inserted into the rod. Thanks for checking that my pole was clear of the car door kiddos. :yikes:

I think it can be fixed enough to hold together until I get a replacement pole later this summer. Does anyone know of any shops around the Salem area that could look at the pole and possibly do the repairs. I have researched some youtube videos but most of them don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence and I'd rather go to someone who has done this before.

Thanks,
MadDog.

M
martin s.
hi maddog, sad to hear about your accident, I've had a couple of fly rods that experienced the same fate. unless the rod is worth a lot of cash, its cheaper to replace it. normal cost for a professional repair will be over 100.00. a crappy repair, one THAT WILL effect the performance of the rod you love will be cheaper, but not acceptable. good luck...martin s.

M
MadDog
Hi Martin,

I never updated this post but last year for Father's Day I received a 7' medium action casting pole. And this year my wife hasn't bothered to get her fishing license so her 5'5" light action pole often finds its way into my trunk so I have my choice of rods depending on the spot.

Cheers!
MadDog.

martin s. said:
hi maddog, sad to hear about your accident, I've had a couple of fly rods that experienced the same fate. unless the rod is worth a lot of cash, its cheaper to replace it. normal cost for a professional repair will be over 100.00. a crappy repair, one THAT WILL effect the performance of the rod you love will be cheaper, but not acceptable. good luck...martin s.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I just had a hand made Bamboo Fly rod brake about 4" below the tip. No way the guy said could he fix it. Sooooo.......I'm going to mount it on the wall by my steelhead print.

I feel your pain, sad to say it won't be the last time:sad:

M
martin s.
I try not to use my bamboo any more because of the fear of brakeage. I found that the spendy purchase of life time rods, such as orvis and sage will in time pay for them selves. I had a 2wt. orvis altra fine that I purchased years ago for 150.00, during a stream crossing I slipped off a big rock and smashed my favorite rod. I called orvis for a free repair, but because of its age they couldn't help. they than offered me a choice of any of current rods they produce for FREE. 650.00 free with a 25 year replacement warranty.
nice isn't it. martin s.

D
DonF
I got to say it. A pole is what you put telephone and electrical wire's on. You fish with a rod! :) I have a kid here in town that goes fishing with me now and then and I've told him maybe two million times not to lay the rod down on the ground. Sooner or later someone is going to step on it and break it. Yea, he finally managed to step on it and break it! Years ago took a wife of mine fishing and took her kids with us. The old door trick, youngest slammed the door right on a rod!

I read about how great some really expensive rods are and all I can think is they will never stand up to a closed door or being stepped on any better than my old cheapo rods! :) I've never owned a hundred dollar+ rod and as long as people fish near me for sure never will!:-(

DOKF
DOKF
Been there, done that.