Places for fall coho & chinook in coastal rivers and bays

Aervax
Aervax
image.jpg
Just me and my Tule here.

A friend and I are planning to take a couple days off to make next weekend a 4 day salmon trip. I normally fish the Columbia or Deschutes, but this time of year many of the fish there are starting to get dark. I am hoping for some fresh chrome. I would also enjoy exploring new water.

What coastal rivers and bays do you like this time of year? I have access to a drift boat if that would help. We are game to drive anywhere between Astoria and Reedsport, and we are open to all methods - spinners, jig and float, plunking, drifting, trolling and so on.

What would you do?

Thanks a bunch! Aervax

E
eugene1
I'd vote for tillamook bay in the drift boat, even better if you have a kicker on it.

Good luck,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Siuslaw has been blazing hot for coho, from shore and trolling, most all the locals have tagged their 2, river is packed with guide boats getting customers a coho. Can't say much about the Chinooks now, too many coho to find them. :D..once the coho move upriver when we get big rain this week, it is possible (I am hoping) there will be more shiny Chinook coming in...

Tillamook Bay + Nestucca and Nehalem up north you can just get 1 wild coho for the year; all the rivers south of that together you can get a total of 2. So I would keep that in mind if coho are prime target (2 being better than 1). And I would watch the weather, this coming week could have some "stay off the water" times here on the coast, ... cheers, roger

Aervax
Aervax
Thank you very much for the tips gents. We are committed to fishing the Deschutes on Saturday. We are going to fish the Tillamook area Sunday and Monday. I do not have a motor of any kind on my drift boat, except for the one in my shoulders and back. I went on a guided steelhead trip on the Wilson early this year. That is my only trip there. This trip will be exploratory, but we still want to make good choices so we can land a couple, and do it safely. I am hoping the Saturday rain will bring more nook in. Being without a motor, may I ask your advice on where you would launch, and would you fish the Wilson or Trask for a first timer there? Many thanks to you both. Eric

D
DrTheopolis
There isn't much water in the Wilson right now (I'll bet the Trask is the same). Might be some tidewater fishing if you row up (or with the tide either way) from the 5th Street Ramp in Tillamook (Trask tidewater). Bobber and bait is the popular technique there.

Aervax
Aervax
Thank you for the suggestion. I think we will give that a try tomorrow. I will get back to you with results.

Aervax
Aervax
image.jpg
Not a great pic. There is some scent of success, or is that Tanner's egg cure I am smelling? Wilson River.

Aervax
Aervax
image.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
beauty! much better picture!

Aervax
Aervax
iphone keeps rotatimg my pics.

Last edited: