Places for bass at Hagg Lake???

S
SDfisher
Well me and the girl are heading out to Hagg Lake this sunday. I have never caught a smallmouth. So I was wondering what are some good spots out at Hagg. I have caught some Largemouths when I lived in So Cal but never a small so Im looking forward to this. Also does Hagg lake have good catfish in it? thanks

T
Troutier Bassier
Ask A-JLama I think it is. He knows a thing or two about Hagg.

A
A_J-Llama
Just about anywhere in the lake you can find smallmouth, although last year actually caught more largemouth, but try around the rocks at the dam and off the points and other rocky areas you can find. There are catfish in the lake, in the tanner cr. arm I believe, but I have never targeted them myself. Hagg is a county regulated park and I believe it closes at dusk, so no night fishing for cats. You will also find yellow perch, bluegill, crappie, rainbow, & cutthroat in addition to the bass and cats, and you might get to see ospreys, eagles, great blue herrons, deer and elk.

S
Stormy
Hagg Lake 9-10-09

Hagg Lake 9-10-09

Got my limit on Bass (one - 14") in the inlet west of boat ramp A, on a worm.We tried trolling and no luck.Lots of good fish marks on sonar in the deeper water, about middle of no-wake line.3-4 steelhead size fish were jumping for flies at sundown, but you have to leave when the bites on.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
jleepga
Stormy, when you say west of boat ramp A, is that on the opposite side of the lake just below sain creek, or were you in the sain creek inlet?

S
Stormy
Boat ramp A is where the Police boat house is, the first arm N/W of boat ramp.

P
polarbeer
By Scoggins creek been good for me but mostly large mouth is what i've been getting fishing rubber worms