pink steelhead worms

N
ninja2010
thanks, snagged. i'll try that stinger style. good point on the pain in the booty... :lol::lol::lol:

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
thanks, snagged. i'll try that stinger style. good point on the pain in the booty... :lol::lol::lol:

Wait for the water to get someone clearer though. The fish wont be able to see it in this stained water... Or you could try dipping it in worm scent.

L
luv2fish
if you put a lil cheater with wings with a worm, i guess that can be a better bait for clack..

C
Catch 22
ninja2010 said:
do you rig them like this?

Pretty much. I thread them upside down though, so that the head of the worm is at the hook. I use a cheater between the worm and the hook. This keeps the worm from sliding up the hook and keeps the cheater from sliding up the line. Rigging them inverted like this has increased my catch. I think I get less short strikes. Also the worm doesn't bunch up as much.

I tie up a bag's worth at a time (about 10). Pretty easy to re rig. The worm and the cheater are already there. Pull the rig out of the bag and tie it on the swivel.

One positive thing about artificial bait is you are casting more and baiting less. Thus increasing your odds right there.

Also. Steelhead don't seem to smell stuff when you're drift fishing. They don't have enough time. Especially in fast water. They don't have hands to pick it up and look at it. They just make a quick decision as somethings coming by whether to pick it up or not. If I am back bouncing or pulling divers and bait, I worry about scent as they will sit behind the presentation for a few checking it out first.

Also, when the water is a little off color, I use cold water tactics. I SLOW the presentation down by adding more weight. If in a snaggy spot, this is obviously frustrating. But in the right spot (gravelly tailout) this is deadly.
When the water is cold, the fish move slower. They need more time to react and move to your presentation. Same thing when the water is off color. If it's whizzing by them they just can't do it no matter how well your rig looks.

Just my opinions. Hope I helped someone. :D

A
ArcticAmoeba
I dunno, I bet those stinky 'ol trout can smeel pretty much everything in the river...They may not really be keying in, or concentrating on specific aromas while moving through fast water. But the Winter fish are not needing to move through fast water, there is enough dissolved O2 and the water is cold enough that they don't need to/can't really get feisty all day long like the Summers that hold in the heads of most riffles. We have been drifting bait in a small creek, and we are leading lazy winters out, and they tail down and flare their gills before they hit. It is really cool to see the cure from a fresh bait go through the gills and expelled on their flanks. But I do agree with you, the fish are making snap decisions when smashing upstream, through riffles, and in generally faster flows...But in the eddies, lazy tailouts, and seams those stinky Sewer Troot need some stink to draw their attention when the water is slightly off. At least thats how its been happenin for me this Winter. And the slower presentation, very effective, practically force feeds 'em when applied properly, like back draggin divers with super bait. Gut bomb every fish. Fish get such a good look/smell of your stuff when you have just a hair too much weight, and it makes for a brutal take too. I have done it a few times in deeper pools on the Lewis, that have higher flow around a corner...Works pretty well.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
I dunno, I bet those stinky 'ol trout can smeel pretty much everything in the river...They may not really be keying in, or concentrating on specific aromas while moving through fast water. But the Winter fish are not needing to move through fast water, there is enough dissolved O2 and the water is cold enough that they don't need to/can't really get feisty all day long like the Summers that hold in the heads of most riffles. We have been drifting bait in a small creek, and we are leading lazy winters out, and they tail down and flare their gills before they hit. It is really cool to see the cure from a fresh bait go through the gills and expelled on their flanks. But I do agree with you, the fish are making snap decisions when smashing upstream, through riffles, and in generally faster flows...But in the eddies, lazy tailouts, and seams those stinky Sewer Troot need some stink to draw their attention when the water is slightly off. At least thats how its been happenin for me this Winter. And the slower presentation, very effective, practically force feeds 'em when applied properly, like back draggin divers with super bait. Gut bomb every fish. Fish get such a good look/smell of your stuff when you have just a hair too much weight, and it makes for a brutal take too. I have done it a few times in deeper pools on the Lewis, that have higher flow around a corner...Works pretty well.

I read somewhere that like bass and steelhead can smell 1/200 of a drop of sweat in 100 gallons of water. :shock: It is compared to "seeing" the scent.

N
ninja2010
FishSchooler said:
I read somewhere that like bass and steelhead can smell 1/200 of a drop of sweat in 100 gallons of water. :shock: It is compared to "seeing" the scent.

yeah, they have real good smelling skills. if i'm not mistaken, that's how they key in on their spawning ground - by following the scent in the water.

so, yeah the worm rig idea from catch 22 sounds dandy, and i think a bit of scent would really help to attract them even before they have a visual on the bait coming their way.

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
yeah, they have real good smelling skills. if i'm not mistaken, that's how they key in on their spawning ground - by following the scent in the water.

so, yeah the worm rig idea from catch 22 sounds dandy, and i think a bit of scent would really help to attract them even before they have a visual on the bait coming their way.

I bet it'll work even better with real worms... :cool: ewwwwwww!

O
osmosis
My favorite thing to do with pink worms is to leave them at home, and to give them away..

S
Snagged
osmosis said:
My favorite thing to do with pink worms is to leave them at home, and to give them away..

lol I keep packing them but I rarely seem to use them.

O
Oncorhynchus
Pink worms under a flout on a white jig lost a nice native today on that. Its big its pink it has good action and its in the steelhead face drawing very aggresive strikes i like to add it our the orange worm to my jig for my last few casts in a hole to see if i can get a strike before i move on.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Snagged said:
lol I keep packing them but I rarely seem to use them.

Hahaha, don't we all pack a bunch of crap around that never gets wet? We do, but at least we have all of that crap right? Yeah, hooray for "extra stuff" we never seem to find the time of day for!

L
luv2fish
Right said AA.

O
OregonHusky
Last year I caught a native and a hatchery fish on my first solo winter steelheading trip. Both were caught under a float using......pink worm. Maybe it will never happen again.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Hahaha, don't we all pack a bunch of crap around that never gets wet? We do, but at least we have all of that crap right? Yeah, hooray for "extra stuff" we never seem to find the time of day for!

I bought this thing of 2 inch chartruese grubs and it dried out before I even just them. So then I threw them down the drain (not really.)

F
Fishtopher
While cruising that other forum tonight, I found an interesting post from a member who posted in this thread too. Something about Oregon Fishing Forum, the pink worm, and "the pros around here". I can't believe the use of a pink worm has got so many people riled up!! Around here, its like the pink worm is akin to snagging Coho to some. And apparently to this guy, not using a pink worm is the mark of the beast. I dont get it. If it works for you, great! If not, oh well...Its just a dang worm...:rolleyes:

and way to go Snagged!! You tell 'em bud!:clap::D Id imagine over there a person would get the boot for plugging Oregon Fishing Forum like that.

Anyone ever check to see if a crawler left in water for extended periods of time turns pink??

L
luv2fish
Fishtopher said:
While cruising that other forum tonight, I found an interesting post from a member who posted in this thread too. Something about Oregon Fishing Forum, the pink worm, and "the pros around here". I can't believe the use of a pink worm has got so many people riled up!! Around here, its like the pink worm is akin to snagging Coho to some. And apparently to this guy, not using a pink worm is the mark of the beast. I dont get it. If it works for you, great! If not, oh well...Its just a dang worm...:rolleyes:

and way to go Snagged!! You tell 'em bud!:clap::D Id imagine over there a person would get the boot for plugging Oregon Fishing Forum like that.

Anyone ever check to see if a crawler left in water for extended periods of time turns pink??

wow...i never knew people will go that serious for a mere opinion...anyhoo...fishtopher, the worms won't go totally pink but since worm breathes through skins, when dipped in water they undergo a process called osmosis ( not alan.....just messin osmo)...and worms which stay in water for longer time have their inner content constantly moving which enables the skin to gather more light and literally you can see the pink haze moving across the worm. Is the red worm which makes the maximum pink under water but the worms here in our lawns and gardens or compost will give a light tinge of pink but its the red worm which turns into pink..

F
Fishtopher
Right on Raj...did you experiment, or is this information you've been holding out on??:lol: And where can you find a red worm in nature? Anyone?

F
FishFinger
Fishtopher said:
Right on Raj...did you experiment, or is this information you've been holding out on??:lol: And where can you find a red worm in nature? Anyone?

I just wormed my pup.... You can come over and errr fill up your bait can if you like.... No charge.

You guys and your worms...

I've been holding back. I'll post a pict shortly of how I think ya'll should be fishin' em; if worms are your bag that is.....lol

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Dan, I think you have too much time on your hands. When were you last out fishing? I think it may be time...