Pink salmon in the Siletz

S

sidehillwinder

Strays. There's strays in every river. Why wouldn't there be pinks in Oregon? They were here at some point. Dog salmon I believe were named such because people didnt want to eat them and they were primarily fed to dogs. I heard that somewhere a long time ago. Don't hold me to it. I have no proof, and to research it in depth on my phone.
I have heard the same but most dogs get sick eating salmon. Maybe the people's dogs developed immunities?

Last edited:

n8r1

Wonder why they aren't common in Oregon waters? We have Coho - 'Nooks - Chum - Sockeye but not much on Pinks.. water quality/conditions?
Most likely they were decimated by the same things that are currently hurting our remaining salmon runs.

Chums historically used to return to the Columbia by the millions before stupid humans started destroying their habitat and overfishing. Now the run is in the thousands and most go up to Washington.

Here's a pink that returned to the Deschutes, only to get picked up by a clueless angler who thought it was a Chinook. **WARNING** iFish link.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=374195&highlight=deschutes+humpy

JeannaJigs

I have heard the same but most dogs get sick eating salmon. Maybe the people's dogs developed immunities?
Only in the PNW. east coast folks have never heard of salmon poisoning. I think it's uncommon in Alaska as well because a friend of mine lives up there and their landlords have sled dogs and that's almost all they feed them is fish.

nwkiller

C&R'd a pink salmon today,was the first of this species I have ever caught or even seen.BEAUTIFUL silver and green coloration.Has anyone here ever got one of these out of the siletz?I didnt know there was a run of 'em.
awesome, i need to mark it off the list, nice work

JeannaJigs

Lol that picture has me laughing. Laughing hurts, my lungs are burning. Haha oh man. We are screwed if the creel checkers can't identify fish.

Thuggin4Life

Yeah i believe i may have told you that. its true for sure about dog salmon for dogs. mainly sled dogs. i wonder who has a sled dog that would have found this info out when researching the bread? and also lived in alaska and has tiesd to people up there and tons of info from my dads many years up there. and yeah the sickness is only in the pnw and west of the cascades. think most of alaska if not all of it is immune.

plumb2fish

Dog salmon. Wonder how they got that name?

Anyone? TD? T4L? Mark?[/QUOTE]

Chum are often calles dog salmon because of the large "canine" teeth the bucks develop in the spawning phase, it has nothing to do with being fed to sled dogs..
Most fish fed to dogs is boiled to get rid of the parasite responsible for "salmon poisioning"

Thuggin4Life

whoops i forgot about that. huge canine like fangs. but they did feed them to the dogs as well. they are on the bottom right below humpies as far as desireable eater fish up there. its a sad day when all you have left in the freezer is a few humpies. and im almost possitive that dogs in alaska arent at risk for the sickness.

plumb2fish

whoops i forgot about that. huge canine like fangs. but they did feed them to the dogs as well. they are on the bottom right below humpies as far as desireable eater fish up there. its a sad day when all you have left in the freezer is a few humpies. and im almost possitive that dogs in alaska arent at risk for the sickness.
Andy, I am pretty sure that the parasite is only found in fish that spend any part of their life cycle south of the Aleutian(sp?) Islands...so many of the Alaskan salmon would not have the parasite, also not all salmon in the effected area have come into contact with the parasite.

Thuggin4Life

That would make sense. I remeber when researching the sickness the mentioned only west of the cascades. And my dad say he doesn't think anyone worried about it when we lived in ketchikan.

A

alseaalumaweld

Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.
“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”
Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish.