Pink salmon in the Siletz

steelhead1

C&R'd a pink salmon today,was the first of this species I have ever caught or even seen.BEAUTIFUL silver and green coloration.Has anyone here ever got one of these out of the siletz?I didnt know there was a run of 'em.

steelhead1

Strays may be part of the salmons survival strategy.A way to spread and adapt to new environments?:think: Its rad that they are in there, never hurts to have a new target species:)

Last edited:

RunWithSasquatch

My buddy landed a small salmon 2 or 3 years ago up the gorge that we had one hell of a time trying to find a lable for it. We ended up just calling it a coho, but it still didnt feel right. It looked different enough that we were actually talking about it last week.

S

sidehillwinder

Autofisher said, I think it was him, that about 5000 pink or chum salmon went up the Nestucca a few years ago.

chrisohm

Banned User
A Pink in the Siletz? Really?

According to this scholarly research--there are no Pinks south of Washington's Rivers.

http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publications/techmemos/tm25/tm25.html

Got a pic, so you can show this to be wrong?
Scholarly research still has its holes, even when it is from 1996. The same year as all that fun flooding. Just keep in mind that not all scholarly research has all the truth or the facts in it. It may be well organized and most of the time biased. Salmon have a tendancy to run into new territory. Not all the seccrets that surround salmon behavior are understood. Can you imagine what the fishing was like before the "white man" destroyed it all? You could of had multiple runs of various species going into every river in Oregon. I'm sure those pinks were looking for a new hangout or they were chased into it...

Thuggin4Life

Living in alaska gave me the undersatnding that pinks were another name for humpies and chum and dog salmon were in the same boat. weres brad when you need him? never caught on in a river need to add it to the list.

markasd

That pic I posted was of a sockeye, not a Pink/Humpie.... my bad folks.
Only have seen possies of Sockeye out there - have never seen or heard of Pink/Humpies.

S

sidehillwinder

Living in alaska gave me the undersatnding that pinks were another name for humpies and chum and dog salmon were in the same boat. weres brad when you need him? never caught on in a river need to add it to the list.
Brad may be awhile getting back to us. Anyway, Pinks have more names than any spices of salmon that I know of. Dog salmon. Wonder how they got that name?

Anyone? TD? T4L? Mark?

JeannaJigs

Strays. There's strays in every river. Why wouldn't there be pinks in Oregon? They were here at some point. Dog salmon I believe were named such because people didnt want to eat them and they were primarily fed to dogs. I heard that somewhere a long time ago. Don't hold me to it. I have no proof, and don't care to research it in depth on my phone.

markasd

From what I know your correct in the Chums/Dog salmon - and have no reason to believe that a few of those pinks are around as well. Wonder why they aren't common in Oregon waters? We have Coho - 'Nooks - Chum - Sockeye but not much on Pinks.. water quality/conditions?