pikeminnow reward fishing

F
fish4life
I was just wondering if anybody has tried it yet this year. I was thinking about going out but didn't know if water would still be too cold. Just thinking about banking it, maybe from rooster rock area up to bonneville dam. Any advice or info would be great.

brandon4455
brandon4455
water isn't too cold on the willamette,should be fine on the columbia. theyre a bittin! salmon eggs (single or cheap cured) and worms but eggs are probably the best. they just eat em up!

T
Troutier Bassier
Pikeminnow?! don't know nothing about it! :whistle:

C
ChezJfrey
Don't know about the Columbia conditions right now, but when the water was 58 in the Clackamas about a week ago, I caught one.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Troutier Bassier said:
Pikeminnow?! don't know nothing about it! :whistle:

you sir are a terrible liar

S
SturgeonSurgeon
I didn't know it till just now but I was catching pikeminnow yesterday down at the St. Helens docks. They were bitting on worms. The biggest one I caught was maybe 8 inches. Is there a reward for these fish?

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
ChezJfrey said:
Don't know about the Columbia conditions right now, but when the water was 58 in the Clackamas about a week ago, I caught one.

Ummm I don't think the water temp in the Clack has even made it close to 58. Right now it's around 45-46F according to the USGS site. As far as Pikeminnow I've had lots of luck on chicken liver and spicy sausage has been a close second! (carp love sausage too!)

S
SturgeonSurgeon
So I was catching them yesterday and begining to fill a stringer up. After a while I saw bubbles coming up from where my stringer was and the to the other side of me a hissing and thrashing noise. When I turn to look the debri in the water was swirling around but I did not see anything so I thought nothing of it. About a half hour after that a buddy should up and I started to lift the stringer out of the water to show him what the fish looked like but as I pulled the stringer out of the water there was nothing on it. I was like what the &*^%....where did my fish go. Well after about an hour after that I finally found the culpret. A river otter came and swam up to us and started hissing.....as soon as I heard that noise I know thats what it was. So moral ofm the story no more stringers for me....just a bucket with some water in it.

Also that same I day I caught a steelhead smolt and hooked him through the eye. Removing the hook killed him and I felt terrible. But the good this about it was that when I threw him back in a Osprey flew over and snaged him up. Circle of life I guess.....I am glad he didn't go to waste though.

C
ChezJfrey
beaverfan said:
Ummm I don't think the water temp in the Clack has even made it close to 58. Right now it's around 45-46F according to the USGS site.

I actually had a thermometer that registered 58 a couple times in the afternoon down near Clackamette...can't remember exactly which day. Every other day I've been in that area within the last 2 weeks was right at or under 50, so I think the device is working fine. It may have just been a weird, warm afternoon...or maybe I misread it a couple times? I don't know, I just remember being surprised at the number, so I'm sure I double-checked my reading.

T
Troutier Bassier
If they're caught in the Willamette they do NOT qualify for the sport reward fishery. They HAVE to be caught in the Columbia river system.