Pick up after yourself and others.

T
todd_brooks
I'd like to challenge everyone here to pack out what you pack in and pick up after those who don't. I have a pocket dedicated for trash. I'm sure most of you aren't dirt bags. But if we all picked up a pocket full of trash each and every trip we could very likely win the battle.

T
todd_brooks
Help out will ya?

Help out will ya?

I'd like to challenge everyone here to pack out what you pack in and pick up after those who don't. I have a pocket dedicated for trash. I'm sure most of you aren't dirt bags like some folks. But if we all picked up a pocket full of trash each and every trip we could very likely win the battle. I was out there today and filled my big ass pocket with crap. Felt like I made a dent and had the thought that if everyone did the same it could take care of a problem. Tanks and please.:pray:

B
bigsteel
I agree todd,,,,i continue to pack out my stuff and others trash on the santiam.....if we all kept at it we could have nice blue ribbon streams

L
lilsalmon
There are a lot of pigs out there....Today I was at Santiam Bluffs...Beautiful, quiet, birds singing, 1 fish jumped, screeching of a hawk or something...and trash...It is terrible. I brought some out but the majority is in the blackberry bushes. I don't mind snakes and varmints but spiders suck :redface: I am thinking I might take a day and go clean what I can. Its so pretty there, it pisses me off to see the garbage. Just once I would like to catch someone tossing trash

J
JSpencer
When i go grocery shopping i bag my stuff with plastic. When i'm done the bags go into my storage closet, when i go fishing, i bring a few of the plastic bags with me just to pack out garbage.

C
Cohosanders
I hit the Wilson hard last Sunday and all I was able to bag was trash:D It was an amazing day out there and although the Wilson does not get hit as hard with trash as our metro rivers it is still there. Sometimes bagging trash is better than bagging fish:clap:Sometimes you can collect a buck or two in recyclables as well:)

P
plumb2fish
I spent a day picking up bottles and cans from a 1-2 mile strech of a metro river and filled the whole back of my car to the hilt. $57 This was along the road and both sides of the bank. That paid for the gas and dump fees for the garbage that filled the back of a 3/4 tun truck... I have been guilty of tossing down crap but I try not to and always have a garbage bag in my vest or tackle bag. Funny, I always end up with more crap than hands to pack out.

I
Ideceivefish
I think most people on these boards pack out. The people that litter are morons that don't even know how to use a computer.

I was in a hole on Saturday and there wasn't one piece of garbage. I went back on Monday and there was at least 3 cans of empty shrimp and 10-15 packs of empty jig bags and several beer bottles. I almost lost it when I saw that.

It's pretty much useless with these type of people. They are pigs and they don't care. I also have a feeling that its the people that don't catch anything. They get pissed off and just start littering then leave.

I carry a bag dedicated for trash as well.

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
i wrote an essay today in class on this subject, Haha :D

F
fourgotten
doubleplusgood idea!

doubleplusgood idea!

I fully agree with you there. Well maybe not so much on our ability to win unless we get the *expletive* who dump the trash to knock it off.

This is why I carry a bag or two with me when I fish. This is also why I carry a fish bat when I fish. :mad:

Never had to USE the bat, mind you (at least, not on anything warm-blooded), 'cause when you make sure to shame them and explain to them the error or their ways (especially in front of their peers) they tend to do the Right Thing... especially if their peers are of a like mind with you... and big. ;)

M
metalfisher76
todd_brooks said:
I'd like to challenge everyone here to pack out what you pack in and pick up after those who don't. I have a pocket dedicated for trash. I'm sure most of you aren't dirt bags like some folks. But if we all picked up a pocket full of trash each and every trip we could very likely win the battle. I was out there today and filled my big ass pocket with crap. Felt like I made a dent and had the thought that if everyone did the same it could take care of a problem. Tanks and please.?

Not that it hurts to bring it up again:)
Hint, the dirt bags look at all the forums, not just OFF.:confused: I saw your post somewhere else, no mention of dirt bags there, but they are everywhere, guaranteed.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I carry ziplock bags for everything trash. They work great for mono as you can just wind it up and seal it off so it doesn't unspool and get tangled up in your zippers.

They work great for butts too. When I smoked I always had one in my boat bag and would just dip the butt in the water and throw it in the bag. Soon as you hit land just toss the bags at the boat dock. Super easy.

M
metalfisher76
GraphiteZen said:
I carry ziplock bags for everything trash. They work great for mono as you can just wind it up and seal it off so it doesn't unspool and get tangled up in your zippers.

They work great for butts too. When I smoked I always had one in my boat bag and would just dip the butt in the water and throw it in the bag. Soon as you hit land just toss the bags at the boat dock. Super easy.

:clap:nice and easy!

A
azntechi3206
I totally agree with you. If everyone just contribute or at least clean up after themselves then we could continue to have clean ecosystem. I constantly see people leave trash behind but I know I’m better than them I continue to do the right thing even if I’m the only one doing so.

troutdude
troutdude
Great job guys!

Great job guys!

I'm tipping my hat to all of you, who care about keeping our fishing holes clean! :):clap:

As a sixth generation Oregonian, I care DEEPLY about the state of our state. I was also a boy scout, and was always taught to pack it out. DUH!

Thank you for doing your part to keep Oregon green and clear of trash.

Maybe we find an extra large dumpster and round up all of the dirt bags and throw them in!!! A fantasy, I know, but wouldn't it be FUN!!! :dance::clap::shock::lol:

M
metalfisher76
troutdude said:
I'm tipping my hat to all of you, who care about keeping our fishing holes clean! :):clap:

As a sixth generation Oregonian, I care DEEPLY about the state of our state. I was also a boy scout, and was always taught to pack it out. DUH!

Thank you for doing your part to keep Oregon green and clear of trash.

Maybe we find an extra large dumpster and round up all of the dirt bags and throw them in!!! A fantasy, I know, but wouldn't it be FUN!!! :dance::clap::shock::lol:

That`s a big dumpster! :shock:5 million yarder might put a good dent in it though:lol:

troutdude
troutdude
metalfisher76 said:
That`s a big dumpster! :shock:5 million yarder might put a good dent in it though:lol:

That'll do nicely metalman! :dance:

B
BlackBass
I never leave trash in the woods, or on the river bank. Its amazing to see how much crap people bring along with them, and just leave it on the river bank.

C
Cohosanders
LEAVE footprints and a good concious only:D TAKE pictures, fish and good memories only:D If we focused on ourselves and cleaned up after others without bad mouthing them then we are taking the high road. It is useless to bad mouth an unconcious and unteachable grouch.

G
gordo
Good topic.

I take the simple mantra with me of "leave it cleaner than you found it", even if that means you pick up one single gum wrapper.

I'd also like to point out it is unacceptable to flick cigarette butts out on the banks and beaches, or in the water for that matter. I typically pack out 2 packs' worth of cig. butts on the Sandy beaches... it's not an ashtray out there, and it's disgusting.