Personal float Clackamas or other local water

A
Andrew Beldin
Hi All,

I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I recently purchased a personal pontoon, and aim to start floating some local water. I've been swinging steelhead for years, and have spent a lot of time on water, so I understand some basics and big threats, etc. I've also float tubed lakes many times, But I fully appreciate my inexperience with personal pontoons on a river. That said I would be very interested in chatting with, meeting, and fishing with other folks who float local water in small craft.

Cheers. Tight lines, and happy holidays.

C
Camo
That is a real good question Andrew, I fish mostly from a skiff or duck boat. I've been looking at the increasing options for personal pontoons. Never tried one but would sure like to find out the plus & minuses of such crafts stability on fast moving water with snags, branches and rocks. And what to look for when I seriously got to have one.

A
Andrew Beldin
I ordered an outcast stealth pro cataraft, which arrived this last week. I was pretty impressed with the ease of use/assembly/portability. It seems pretty sturdy.

My plan for now is to do my first float from Barton to Carver on the Clack. It's a pretty short stretch so I don't have to rush, and is pretty manageable for the most part. I've seen these things go by fishing from the bank or with guides, so I know there are some folks that do it, but haven't located one online yet.

P
pinstriper
Might be a good idea to plan a non-fishing float trip or three down your target water. Do this in concert with a couple fishing buddies who are making the run in a drift boat. Watch them fish while you just focus on staying alive.

What kind of immersion gear are you thinking ? This time of year from a kayak we do base layer, fleece layer, drysuit, PFD.

Reactions: Echskech
D
DrTheopolis
What Pinstriper said(except for not fishing -- I couldn't do it). From Barton to Carver is pretty easy, but you'll get wet in the big wave train below Deep Creek. It would be good if you could follow someone the first time, since there's lots of channels, although on a toon, you should be fine in any of them if the water isn't too low. I don't have any trips planned soon, but can let you know the next time I go in my buddy's drift boat.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Pretty good advice given. Plan on doing the buddy system, especially for your 1st few trips. It's not a particularly difficult float but this time of year safety in numbers is a good idea, again on the 1st few trips.

A
adamg
Also, be aware that at this time of year, the river will fill up with jet sleds at levels over 12.5-13ft. Be visible and get out of the way if you hear one tearin up the river from the other side of that bend.

D
DrTheopolis
Adamg (who I think I have met on the river, maybe) brings up an excellent point. Most sledders are reponsible enough to scope out the rapids before powering up, but that one exception can be a problem.

Keep your ears open, for sure.

And bear in mind (I'm sure you've taken it into consideration), the Clack runs cold this time of year, and won't warm up much until April/May.