Personal best smallie!!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Did another 3 day float down the river this past weekend with fellow forum member Graphite Zen. Fishing didn't seem to be as hot as it usually is but I didn't mind, the quality was sure better then most trips iv done. I got most of my fish on top water, but they were hitting most lures if you could keep the grass/weeds off. The first day we had blue skys, but next two days the wind shifted and brought in the smoke. Which I think helped with the top water action, as I was getting them all day on top! Iv only been back one day and am already itching to get back there!

100_2836.jpg

Tight Lines! And release these hawgs!

Reactions: bass and eugene1
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that is a nice bass!

release the hawgs, make tacos out of the small ones!

T
Throbbit _Shane
rogerdodger said:
that is a nice bass!

release the hawgs, make tacos out of the small ones!

Yup. Since it was just us two on this trip we didn't bring the propane stove and oil to fry up some small ones. Next time! can't beat fresh fish tacos while camping on the river.

hobster
hobster
Man thats one big *** smallie! Well done, musta been a hell of a fight!

T
Throbbit _Shane
hobster said:
Man thats one big *** smallie! Well done, musta been a hell of a fight!

Best fight iv had from a bass i'm pretty sure iv ever had. I would get it close to the boat then it would go air born and that happened a good 5 times. Also made me wish I had a net when I finally saw how well it was hooked, I just barely had to pull on it for it to come unhooked. I got real lucky!

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Wow, nice brown bass. Ya weigh it? Looks like five pound neighborhood to me. I'll bet it was a sporty sausage.

T
TimberTodd
Nice catch Shane, congratulations on your personal best!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Shaun Solomon said:
Wow, nice brown bass. Ya weigh it? Looks like five pound neighborhood to me. I'll bet it was a sporty sausage.
We didn't have a scale with us, and I couldn't find my tape measure. I'd say it was real close to five maybe over hard to say. I'm bringing a scale from now on though. Need to bump my line up too and shorten the fight.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

F
FishOutOfWater
Awesome fish. I caught a similar sized one last summer from my kayak. I got so nervous when I saw it splash for the first time. I just kept telling myself, "don't lose this one, don't lose this one." When I went to pull it in, I could tell the hook was barely holding onto his lip. I fought to get ahold of him along side of my 'yak, and finally better judgment won out as I drug him onto my lap before grabbing hold. To see how easy it would have come unhooked only made me more nervous. Man, it is a rush when you catch a smallie that size though. Great job man!

bass
bass
Floating and camping looks like an awesome adventure. I have never done anything like that but it sure looks like a blast.

That bass definitely looks to be in the 5lb class. One thing I have done in the past when I caught a big fish and did not have a tape measure was to measure it against my rod. Usually you can find two reference points on your rod that matches up to the fish's length: butt to writing on blank, between two guides, etc. Then you just measure that distance when you get home.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Looks like the one I caught last week on the float :) just kidding. Nice fish Shane

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Definitely a 5# fish. I think it might have been more. I caught one that weighed out to 5.4 and this one seemed larger!

FUN trip! :peace:

troutdude
troutdude
Dude; you're gonna have to change your moniker to Hawg Hunter! That fish just might top that G.P. Chinokanee, you got a couple of years back! Whaddya say? (and didn't you also say that, you needed to beef up your line then too?) LOL :sad:

But seriously; that's a pig fo' sho'. Well done! :thumb:

F
FishOutOfWater
Just out of curiosity, was this in the Elkton area, and did that fish happen to have only one good eye? I know of a hole there that has a hawg with one eye that has been caught quite a few times by a specific guide that lives nearby.

hobster
hobster
troutdude said:
Dude; you're gonna have to change your moniker to Hawg Hunter! That fish just might top that G.P. Chinokanee, you got a couple of years back! Whaddya say? (and didn't you also say that, you needed to beef up your line then too?) LOL :sad:

But seriously; that's a pig fo' sho'. Well done! :thumb:

It would be hard to beat that beast! Still my favorite OFF video.

T
Throbbit _Shane
FishOutOfWater said:
Just out of curiosity, was this in the Elkton area, and did that fish happen to have only one good eye? I know of a hole there that has a hawg with one eye that has been caught quite a few times by a specific guide that lives nearby.
This was caught in the big k area, up river of Elkton. She had both eyes and a fat belly. There's actually quite a few this size but getting them to bite and also keeping the small ones off is another story.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

C
Combat Chuck
Well I did believe Shane. Pretty sure thats a 2# fish due to your witnesses rep :)

GraphiteZen said:
Definitely a 5# fish. I think it might have been more. I caught one that weighed out to 5.4 and this one seemed larger!

FUN trip! :peace:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Combat Chuck said:
Well I did believe Shane. Pretty sure thats a 2# fish due to your witnesses rep :)

I think from now on every decent fish I catch I'm going to photograph and weigh, then post the photo and info on your Facebook wall. :)