Perch in the bay?

M
micah_man1
I've been told that the perch start coming in to the bay pretty thick this time of year, has anyone got into any schools yet?

G
glennmcintire
I'm gonna find out

I'm gonna find out

I'm heading out next Saturday the 30th to see if I can't rail em. I'v never fished for perch, can anyone describe the set up to use, I'll be fishing from my boat. I'm a bit of newbie to fishing so if you could please explain any slang jargon; ie slider, banger, slippy-dip, etc. (I just made those names up but you get the drift).

I'm gonna be going with a couple of experience perch anglers, I just don't want to seem like a total dork.

Thanks
GMc

R
RunWithSasquatch
Slippy-dip's are commonly used when perch fishing.

G
glennmcintire
IS that realy a real thing? A slippy-dip?

R
RunWithSasquatch
On a serious note, ive done some surf perch fishing in the bay. Not from a boat, but I am sure this rig would be just as effective, and is simple. I use a crappie rig with an 18'' dropper or so, with an ounce or so of weight, with sand shrimp on the leaders. We do it from the bank up the bay a couple miles, wade out on the mud flats at low tide, and fish our way back in with the water. We tied our own leaders on the spreader rigs with a little larger hook to make threading the shrimp easier, and a little longer leader. Doubles are common when you find a school.

B
beaverfan
glennmcintire said:
I'm heading out next Saturday the 30th to see if I can't rail em. I'v never fished for perch, can anyone describe the set up to use, I'll be fishing from my boat. I'm a bit of newbie to fishing so if you could please explain any slang jargon; ie slider, banger, slippy-dip, etc. (I just made those names up but you get the drift).

I'm gonna be going with a couple of experience perch anglers, I just don't want to seem like a total dork.

Thanks
GMc

I would do a search for surf perch there's some good info here.

D
DubberPhisher
glennmcintire said:

Thanks
GMc

check out this guy....he has a few other vids on here too.
YouTube - How to catch Surf Perch
I tried surf fishing Saturday after Razor clamming, no bites, but it was a little windy and rough. I got a few off of the Barview Jetty last year.

G
glennmcintire
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks you guys. I like the crappie rig. I can't wait to get out there.

G
glennmcintire
No perch

No perch

Took the boat out on Saturday and didn't catch one perch. We did catch 14 Greenling though (13 keepers), all at least a pound. First time I've even heard of Greenling, but not the last time. That is some good eating fish - best fish tacos I've ever had.

GMc

M
micah_man1
Nice job on the greenling haul! Where about did you catch them? I've been looking forward to eating some perch, but I wouldn't mind a bucket full of greenling. :)

G
glennmcintire
greenling

greenling

We put the boat in at Sawyer's Landing and went up stream a couple of miles. Stayed to the North bank, started at low slack (or just after), anchord in about 8' of water. Only caught fish on the deep side of the boat. My buddy Bruce fished on the shallow side and only caught "fiber" fish. We used fresh sand shrimp and it didn't matter heads or tails they both caught fish.

I would post photos but I can't seem to get them out of my phone (damn technology).

GMc