Perch Fishing

G
gmcnair
Had some luck with the perch awhile back. They were mediums with a few larges. It was nice to get something for dinner. Used sand shrimp and Berkley sandworms.

Took my kayak off of Sunset Bay near Coos Bay and the fishing was slow. Was targeting sea trout.

• perch siltcoos  4=2001 009.jpg
Reactions: OnTheFly
B
beaverfan
Nice fatties!

S
skunk
Those look tasty.

C_Run
C_Run
Well done. I've been surfperch fishing six times since new years and only five fish to show for it. That's from Humbug Mt. to Cape Perpetua and points between hitting the high tides. Have yet to hit it just right , I guess. Way to go.

G
gmcnair
keep on fishing

keep on fishing

C_Run said:
Well done. I've been surfperch fishing six times since new years and only five fish to show for it. That's from Humbug Mt. to Cape Perpetua and points between hitting the high tides. Have yet to hit it just right , I guess. Way to go.

Are you fishing the deeper spots along the beach where perch hold up? Scout around during low tides. Once you find the dished out areas with fish stay there. Keep moving until you find one. If the surf is up with 6 or more sets of waves the perch seem to scatter and are not in the holes.

C_Run
C_Run
I've been just hitting places where I see other people catch them. I go to the south coast about once per month, the Bandon/Port Orford area. I've been going to Bandon south jetty, Humbug Park beach, Paradise Point, and a spot at Cape Perpetua where I have had success before. Good deep holes. Using two hooks and a dropper with a big sinker, store bought frozen shrimp. Just haven't hit a full-on perch blitz so far. Suggestions???

G
gmcnair
C_Run said:
I've been just hitting places where I see other people catch them. I go to the south coast about once per month, the Bandon/Port Orford area. I've been going to Bandon south jetty, Humbug Park beach, Paradise Point, and a spot at Cape Perpetua where I have had success before. Good deep holes. Using two hooks and a dropper with a big sinker, store bought frozen shrimp. Just haven't hit a full-on perch blitz so far. Suggestions???

Perch can be picky about food. Try sand shrimp and wrap the sand shrimp in fine fishing thread sold in tackle shops so the bait stays on the hook. If the surf is high and rough, catching two will be a chore. What is the tide doing while you fish? How long do you fish in one spot before moving?

We lived in Bandon for over 20 years and fishing the south jetty can be good but keep moving south to the first large beach rocks until you find fish. Most of the boys fishing this area just sit in one spot which is not cool since the fish may be 50 yards north or south.

Where do you live?

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
I sent you a p.m. but here's another general question. First of all, I guess I'll upgrade my bait- been too cheap to buy sand shrimp. And then, move around if I am not getting anything in a reasonable amount of time. The question...what do you do when you are perch fishing and the seals decide to camp out right where you want to fish? That's been my problem at Bandon. I can't imagine the fish would stick around with them there all the time. It seems like if I move, the seals move. What's your experience with the seals? Do they chase away the perch?

B
bythesea
I live and fish florence a lot, siltcoos beach is still my favorite spot I can usually limit most of the time.A couple 2/0 snelled hooks and a 4 to 5 oz weight.I allways pump my own sandshrimp I only use the tails though.I have some berkley sandworm also,but just use them if I run out of shrimp and that does'nt happen often .a couple hours before and after high tide is best for me.I need to get out again,I've been targeting lings lately it's been good....FISH-ON!!!

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
nice work my friend!

D
DB Crouper
Redtail from the past

Redtail from the past

Redtail Surfperch
Amphistichus Rhodoterus

My first meaningful fish, a three pound perch, caught from Seaside beach, on a razor clam neck, in the summer of 1953. Notice the endangered species. No, not the fish. The four year old with no shoes and a home made shirt.

C
christopherbeebe
C_Run said:

I have done well with both stripped and some large pile perch on jetties fishing fresh gaper/horse clam and/or cockle parts in the past. I've tried razor clam pieces but for some reason they didn't seem to care for them.

D
diggindan
DB Crouper said:
Redtail Surfperch
Amphistichus Rhodoterus

My first meaningful fish, a three pound perch, caught from Seaside beach, on a razor clam neck, in the summer of 1953. Notice the endangered species. No, not the fish. The four year old with no shoes and a home made shirt.

Great picture, I hope you grew into those ears! Amazing we lived through those years of no car seats, unsupervised fun and such.
Cheers, Dan

F
Fall Creek
Mussels for bait?

Mussels for bait?

I don't know if anyone is even looking at this thread any more, but wanted to ask about mussels for bait. It seems mussels never get listed when people talk about favorite perch baits. Does anyone know, is this just an oversight or do perch prefer other things (shrimp)?

My own experience is I've tried them a few times, but never caught any perch - though they seem to work well on greenling. But maybe that's just been due to luck...

D
DB Crouper
Fall Creek said:
I don't know if anyone is even looking at this thread any more, but wanted to ask about mussels for bait. It seems mussels never get listed when people talk about favorite perch baits. Does anyone know, is this just an oversight or do perch prefer other things (shrimp)?

My own experience is I've tried them a few times, but never caught any perch - though they seem to work well on greenling. But maybe that's just been due to luck...

Sand shrimp or any clam necks work great. Perch south of Waldport won't bite mussels, as they are duck fans, and love greenling meat. Perch north of Waldport to the Columbia river really go after the orange- meated mussels.:D

F
Fall Creek
Bait (and angler) color

Bait (and angler) color

Thanks for the feedback. You might actually be on to something.

Come to think of it, each time I was skunked I was wearing a combination of blue and orange (BSU).

B
bythesea
shrimp,,,shrimp,,,shrimp,,,If their not bite'n shrimp then their not home.......FISH-ON!!!

F
Fall Creek
Shrimp

Shrimp

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it mattered that much. I'll stick with shrimp from now on.

C_Run
C_Run
I know you're probably talking about surf perch but the striped perch you catch from rocky shores like mussels just fine. Also got to disagree about the South of Waldport thing as I've done well in the past catching the striped variety off the rocks around Yachats / Cape Perpetua using mussels. ( Maybe has to do with the Sun Devil sticker on my truck.)

S
sportsmanlio
I, too have caught perch on mussels while fishing the Gold Beach/Brookings area. Mussels also catch a good deal of little sanddabs. They just refuse to stay on the hook, though, which makes it a chore to fish with them. The nice thing is that you can find mussels on the beach near large rocks. Free bait is always a plus!