Pepper in the eyes and the luck of Dora reverse the curse...

J

JeannaJigs

Skipped out on work to fish some new (to me) water with that one Mike guy, aka Autofisher. He had my cooler hostage and I had to get it back, so, why not hit new water with someone that's familiar with the area? Right off the bat, probably the 2nd cast after I tied on a different jig, I had a niccccccccce fish on...she broke my heart and my leader when she found a rock to wrap herself around, and it was goodbye chrome beauty. I died a little bit inside. Mike hooked up with a colored up winter fish shortly thereafter drifting something or another. Didn't see anymore fish for a while so we checked out some other holes and had no luck. Somewhere during that time I discovered that if you use sunscreen that's not safe for children (some people that have kids, don't have the tear free stuff....) and eat peppered jerky, that you better not rub your eye if something flies into it...because it will burn, for a very long time, like, almost all day..and there's no elegant way to rinse out your eyeballs. Anyway, eyes burning, and desperation kicking in, coming up on the evening, we returned to the first hole, and it was fish on! Damn thing tried to pull the same gig with the rock, but oh ho, not this time Mrs. steelhead, NOT THIS TIME. Got her in with the assistance of Mike's mad tailing skills and reached for a rock as quickly as possible. The eggs were smaller than that of a trout. 28" 6 pounds, not a beast, but a beautimus chrome fish, after a bunch of natives, and losing a bunch of fish...it felt super good to put some ink on the tag.

I'm sure i'm leaving stuff out, but I'm sure Mr. Mike will chime in if I have....

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lilsalmon

Good job......I have yet to put any ink on mine....I am good at getting the natives.....Looks like you had a fun day and sorry bout the eyes.....hey Mike still has my flashlight from the Drift Off......guess I better fish with him so I can get it back. :D

Again, excellent job

M

Mike123

Nice job Jeanna! That Nate is a beaut! :clap:

J

JeannaJigs

Very nice! Inkin' the tag is always good. And. hey, the smaller fish are just like veal, right? Congrats, and good post!

TRUE Lol. Veal of the sea, err river I guess...Cut so bright red....was gonna smoke it, but ended up filleting it when I got home and there's no way it's going in the smoker...The grill gets some attention tomorrow, after a long, long hiatus.

J

JeannaJigs

Good job......I have yet to put any ink on mine....I am good at getting the natives.....Looks like you had a fun day and sorry bout the eyes.....hey Mike still has my flashlight from the Drift Off......guess I better fish with him so I can get it back. :D

Again, excellent job

Mike's a clepto!

It was a very good day though :)

J

Johnny Southpaw

Nice fish Jeanna! Sounds like a great day away from the office. Sunscreen and peppered jerky...yikes!

A

autofisher

Again, excellent job

Anytime you want Rose, let me know...... I've got the whole week to pretty much do whatever.

It was a great day out on the water. Had a lot of fun and it was great to see someone that excited about tagging a fish. The first one taught her a lesson though. Which I think she learned, because the second one tried to do the same thing to her. And Jigs, you cannot blame me for the whole peppery sunscreen eyes thing......afterall, you're the one that tucks her coat into her waders...

Last edited:
C

Cohosanders

Good one GEE NUH:D That pepper definitely hurts when rubbed in the old eye, but not as bad as cayenne which I had the pleasure of once experiencing. Sounds like a great day w/autofisher:cool: Way to get 'er done:clap:

W

womanwhofishes

good job GF!!
now I am still trying to get one on my barbie pole....just one..

B

bigsteel

way to go guys and gal................looks like a perfect day........its good to see the pink worm works,,,,ive about givin up on that thing

J

JeannaJigs

Thanks guys, was a good day for sure. The magical remedy for peppered eyeballs is visine. Bottled water, and river water...didn't do much.

I've had some good success with the pink worms in the winter and sometimes during the summer on the McKenzie, but, I honestly don't use 'em that much. Might change that lol.

A

autofisher

After she lost her first fish, I tried to recreate the pattern with yarn and a corkie.... I was close, but they wanted Jigs' patterns.......second fish..... well it was a mad scramble, a lot of tense moments (like when she was wrapped on the rock), but Jigs is a trooper and she hammered down. The pink worm...... for me, it was the one with the inducer tail..... and I run mine different than a lot of people, but we all have our reasons. But this one I actually watched it posture up on the worm and tater it. A 10 inch trout did the exact same thing at the same exact spot not more than 3 or 4 casts before that. It's always fun to watch the whole thing happen.

Last edited:
W

windburnt

good job guys...glad u got into some feesh.

J

JeannaJigs

Yeah I definitely need to tie up some more of those jigs! Although your little re-creation actually looked pretty good in the water, even though i had to laugh when you were sittin' there tying it up lol, it had a nice look in the water. It eventually woulda got a fish I think.

It's the best feeling in the world hooking up on my own patterns, it's even better putting ink on the tag as a result of those patterns. Time to return to the laboratory to create.

N

nwkiller

way to go jeanna. nice work guys!!! beauty fishees

B

BlackBass

Sounds like you two had a great time, and learned some new tricks.