Peamouths? Whitefish?

I
Ifishforfood
the other day my friend told me that peamouths and whitefish are the same thing. im thinking they arn't, but at the same time im not sure. anyone know the truth?

T
TTFishon
Two different fish.

M
mikeredding
Whitefish and Peamouth

Last edited by a moderator:
T
TheFishingHex
Iv been catching this fish that looks like a squawfish but with a carp mouth. what is it? i was thinking it was a peamouth but now after seeing a couple pics it doesn't look the same. almost looks like a small white carp with really small scales. and help?

M
mikeredding
Probably whitefish. Are you catching them in still or moving water?

T
TheFishingHex
mikeredding said:
Probably whitefish. Are you catching them in still or moving water?

umm kinda moving water. im catching them at the mouth of the clackamas river where it runs into the willamette. by the boat ramp. its kinda slow moving water but it is moving.

Last edited:
T
TheFishingHex
my next question is... what do u do with them? do u let them go? or are u sopose to kill them like a squaw fish? i read that they do eat salmon eggs....

E
evolve_h2o
TheFishingHex said:
my next question is... what do u do with them? do u let them go? or are u sopose to kill them like a squaw fish? i read that they do eat salmon eggs....

Return them. (or, i've heard some people keep and eat them) They may eat salmon eggs on occasion but, for the most part, they eat insects and algae. Also, they produce a TON of eggs which the salmon parr eat.