Packing it in

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
There is a very good chance I may be packing it in ..Legs are giving me a rough way to go n after three back surgeries including a spinal cord stimulator I think it may be time to hang up my poles. .Last fall I went over to Winchester with a friend and ended up in a dire situation where I could not even lift my legs to get in my boat. It was so bad I could not have stepped on an ant if I would have had to. Ended up ok and some people from the Harbor ended up helping me out and for that I am grateful. I did manager to get in some deer hunting but it took me over an hour to load a spike, the hard part was I had to lay on my stomach to empty him out. So to those who may know me, good by and good fishing.. till next time DLC

hobster
hobster
Damn, I’m sorry, I have enjoyed your input over the years. Keep healthy and stay in touch with the forum. Be well DLC

Irishrover
Irishrover
Good lord Charlie don't use the term packing it in. Scarred the heck out of me. Thought for sure it was the permanent packing it in!

I do understand your plight, two back surgeries 5 knee surgeries with replacements, neck fusion and shoulder replacement along with the arthritis forced me off the ocean, a place I loved to fish. Getting older sure takes a toll. To tell you the truth sometimes it hurts like hell when you sneeze!

Hope on occasion you may find the strength to wet a line. Have always appreciated your post and even more, had respect for service as a fellow vet. Take care Charlie.

G
Gulfstream
Thanks for all the info you shared with me! Stay positive and wishing you well!

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry to read about your plight DLC. I, too, have enjoyed your contributions on here. You will be missed; and I hope that you will at least chime in from time to time.

P.S. I would've loved to have learned your tricks at "Gem Lake".

God bless.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
troutdude said:
Sorry to read about your plight DLC. I, too, have enjoyed your contributions on here. You will be missed; and I hope that you will at least chime in from time to time.

P.S. I would've loved to have learned your tricks at "Gem Lake".

God bless.
Don't know you but have read some posts. Feel your pain, with polio, broken bones, worn out joints etc lol. All I can do is laugh about it. I watched the David Letterman show years ago and he had on Tina Turner. She was beautiful at her age. David asked her what the best thing was about growing older. She replied " NOTHING---IT SUCKS". Ive been thinking about those waders that are built into a float device. You could just float around and keep dry. Id have to have help getting into the thing but it would be like floating in space.

Reactions: troutdude
D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Cedonulli said:
Don't know you but have read some posts. Feel your pain, with polio, broken bones, worn out joints etc lol. All I can do is laugh about it. I watched the David Letterman show years ago and he had on Tina Turner. She was beautiful at her age. David asked her what the best thing was about growing older. She replied " NOTHING---IT SUCKS". Ive been thinking about those waders that are built into a float device. You could just float around and keep dry. Id have to have help getting into the thing but it would be like floating in space.
That would be nice except for a couple of problems, I have, along with getting them on. I have a
n 18 ft 7 in Duckworth Navigator and I put a set of camper steps in it so it is easier to get into. In answer to Tina Turners response, for me, Getting older is fun, it is the dang pain that goes with it that, for me, sucks. For awhile I used to take people out for a day of fishing, because of their work they did not go, and that led to the idea of starting "DIAMOND N VETS". For those of you who are not getting any fish, well this is what my guests do to get the fish biting. They do a fish dance and yes it works. One of the coolest things I have seen is a DR. or a business owner doing a fish dance. One of my fishing friends believes in it strongly and when we go to diamond and she is not getting fish she will up and do a fish dance and I have heard her say not enough and do some more and right after that the fish start to bite.

Reactions: Troutski
Troutski
Troutski
Diamond Lake Charlie said:
That would be nice except for a couple of problems, I have, along with getting them on. I have a
n 18 ft 7 in Duckworth Navigator and I put a set of camper steps in it so it is easier to get into. In answer to Tina Turners response, for me, Getting older is fun, it is the dang pain that goes with it that, for me, sucks. For awhile I used to take people out for a day of fishing, because of their work they did not go, and that led to the idea of starting "DIAMOND N VETS". For those of you who are not getting any fish, well this is what my guests do to get the fish biting. They do a fish dance and yes it works. One of the coolest things I have seen is a DR. or a business owner doing a fish dance. One of my fishing friends believes in it strongly and when we go to diamond and she is not getting fish she will up and do a fish dance and I have heard her say not enough and do some more and right after that the fish start to bite.
Please stay in touch with us, I too have enjoyed your input over the years. As we get older we face all those booboos from our youth, seems like all the falls, bumps and accidents, from our early years start to manifest in our golden years. Like you I too have some issues and am thinking of Hanging it up as well, I have a very hard time launching my boat and the walk from the parking lot and back is just to much for me. That being said your Diamond N Vets project is a great way to stay in the game, maybe you could be the administrator for all of us Vets. Putting healthy anglers with handicapped anglers for a day of easy fishing. I would help with anything I can, who knows maybe we have a network right here on OFF.
Hang in there DLC you have so much to share with the new anglers, old and young..
My very best to you....Chuck

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I only ran Diamond n Vets for three years then I ran into a mental road block and a couple of gentlemen took it over from me. I had thought of doing a fishing day for disabled veterans but to do that we need to include those that are none ambulatory which requires a pontoon boat and those are a bit on the spendy side for the day. I would not mind doing that but until covid is done I will not go any farther with it. I started fishing Diamond back someplace around 54-56 and missed the time I was in the service unless I came home on leave and started fishing it again full time in 85. Unless something goes bad wrong I am up for helping the disabled vets get a line wet.

Troutski
Troutski
As a Veteran I do my very best each day to defend and assist my brothers and sisters. That being said would you be interested in doing a video class for beginners, we could capitalize on the "stay in touch tech" that has come to life due to the Covid pandemic. I don't have all the information to do this, but I do have plenty of time on my hands and am willing to learn this new reality video montage platform. If you are interested shoot me a PM and we can chat....

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
@Troutski that's a GREAT idea Chuck! I'd love to watch such a video/videos. To learn Charlie's Gem Lake tips and tricks (not to mention learning your tips and tricks for your home waters too).