Pack rod suggestions

J
JHawk
What are your recommendations for a 7'6" to 8'0" 4wt or 4/5wt pack rod? I'd like to end up with something about 15" to 18" overall length that will fit in a pack.

Thanks.

S
Sinkline
JHawk said:
What are your recommendations for a 7'6" to 8'0" 4wt or 4/5wt pack rod? I'd like to end up with something about 15" to 18" overall length that will fit in a pack.

Thanks.

I've never owned a pack rod so I can't help ya there JHawk. I'll be curious to read what others suggest though.

Randy

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Price range?

I've owned a few pack rods - I just got a Cabela's Wind River 8'6" 4 weight that is a 4 piece rod. It packs down a tad longer than you're looking for - but my initial impressions are high for this rod, the more I cast it, the more I like it. It's an easy casting rod with a nice moderate action. Rod retails for $89, but they had them on special when I bought mine, and I got it for $45 with free shipping (they were running a free shipping special earlier this month on all fishing rods)

I used to have a Cabela's Fish Eagle 9' 5wt 5 piece, it was a pretty good rod. I'm not sure what they run, or if they even make that model anymore. I got mine in-store from the Sydney, NE store back in 2000 - and I think I paid something like $110 or thereabouts.

My favorite though, of all time, was my Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3 weight 3 piece. I adored that rod - they still make them too. $50 give or take for the rod alone. That was a better casting and fishing rod than others I've had that cost a lot more.

Wish I could help you more - but these are the rods I've got some good hands-on experience with.

Y
Yohan
I cannot say enough about the Albright A-5 series: A-5 NS Fly Rods. They are absolutely amazing pack rods. The rods are 5 pieces so they breakdown nicely to fit in a pack. I have a 4wt for trout and a 7wt for steelhead and love them both. I even used my 4wt. as my go-to trout rod for a while. If you can't afford the $165 price tag (which I think is a steal for the quality of the rod) you can get discontinued A-5/used A-5 NS rods online for under $100.

O
OnTheFly
I just lash my fly rod to the outside of my backpack in it's tube with vinyl tie wraps or long strips of 3/4" velcro. The tube stays on the pack like a scabbard.

J
jimmy
OnTheFly said:
I just lash my fly rod to the outside of my backpack in it's tube with vinyl tie wraps or long strips of 3/4" velcro. The tube stays on the pack like a scabbard.

I agree with 'onthefly', I carry mine (2 loomis rods sleeved in a stainless tube I use as a walkin' stick)

I've tried my friend's short piece rods and they're kinda stiff, try before you buy. . . I'd take my $150 2 pc. over a $300 5 pc. any day of the week. . .

the packables are sexy and all, but grab one and try it out before you drop the cash. . . I'd hate to see it end up in your basement gatherin' dust if you weren't happy with it.

G
GDBrown
I'm with OTF and Jimmy. I packed my two piece rods in a tube and used it as a walking stick. At one time I had an aluminum tube but I think my son took care of that for me. It's probably hiking around the back country in Utah. My little 7'6" St Croix rod is my go to rod when I hike. If you really need to pack it away then get a good tube that won't bend when you fall down with your pack on. It will happen sooner or later.