Pacific City, 5/10

T
The Nothing
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/yakfish.isaac-online.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2010\/05\/IMG_0386-225x300.jpg"}[/IMG2]I packed up the car yesterday and headed out to Pacific City this morning. I've never fished there before, but was eager to give it a shot. It's a very popular place for kayak fishing, surfing, and a meal at Pelican Pub. Pacific City, Oregon, is well known for its Dory Fleet, which also launch right off the beach.

I got there about 7am to see the surf conditions to be just what I expected - damn near flat. The waves were only about 2', with a few 3 footers thrown in for good measure every once in awhile. The air was calm, and the rain had just finished. Just before I launched, another guy, Madoc, from the Northwest Kayak Anglers arrived. I dilly-dallied a bit, but decided not to wait for him.

I headed straight for the Haystack and began my fishing at the NW corner of the rock. I was jigging a 4oz Kastmaster (yes, I LOVE Kastmasters of all sizes) with 2 shrimp flies tied on above it. Just a few minutes into things I slowed down my jig, and picked up the camera to try to snap a few photos. Naturally, at that same moment I had a strike. Fish On! Up at the surface I found myself with a 16" Kelp Greenling. Not bad for my first saltwater fish of the year! [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/yakfish.isaac-online.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2010\/05\/IMG_0390-225x300.jpg"}[/IMG2]

He picked up one of the shrimp flies, which I had coated in a bit of sardine oil. I dropped the jig again, and continued right where I left off (except for a fish on the stringer!). Just minutes later I picked up a tiny lingcod, only 14" or so. That was followed by more (smaller) greenling, and I was getting bored of them. I had drifted a good distance north of the rock, and I decided it was time to head back towards the haystack. I brought the line up and paddled the short distance back to the rocks. I re-scented the shrimp flies, this time with anchovy oil.

I had barely had my line in the water when the rod was shaking! I had a decent fight on my hands when I finally saw the first ling of the day surface! It was a bit small, measuring somewhere around 20", so it got the release. I thought it odd, but it also hit one of the shrimp flies. I dripped a little scent into the trailer on the Kastmaster and sent it back down.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/yakfish.isaac-online.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2010\/05\/IMG_0396-225x300.jpg"}[/IMG2]AGAIN the rod throbbed, this time just as I was passing over the first bit of kelp in kelp bed on the NE corner of the rock. I knew this had to be a keeper ling! How wrong I was. At the boat I discovered a beautiful looking cabezon! He was small, at only 15", but he had some great color! The funniest thing was that it seemed he didn't want to leave! I we played for a bit and I eventually talked him into swimming again. I was amazed by how hard these guys hit. He easily felt several times his size. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/yakfish.isaac-online.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2010\/05\/IMG_0399-300x225.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I regrouped and sent my Kastmaster plummeting for the depths again. I started watching the birds swimming, flying, and roosting around the rock. I wished I had brought my Canon dSLR so I could have gotten some pics of the scenery. At the same time, I didn't want to have to worry about the camera and its dry bag (time for a Pelican case!) and all that nonsense.

Just then I had another hit! Again, this one felt good, but didn't seem as strong as the lil cabezon. Oh, but how things change!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4V7zrdYLZo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&co lor2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4V7zrdYLZo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&co lor2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Oh how sweet it was. Lings are ssooo tasty. I love 'em. A face I'm not even sure a mother could love, and some gnarly teeth.

If you watched the video, you heard me mention not catching any rockfish. I thought it was odd. Most guys that come out here seem to limit out on rockfish pretty easily, and here I am catching everything BUG rockfish. Hmm.

I was just nearing the end of the kelp bed and I figured I'd get through that, paddle back to the other side, and drift through again. My line was in the water just a couple minutes and SNAG! Doh! I gave the line a couple shakes and then I cracked off. Great. Snapped just below my swivel, so I lost the Kastmaster and the shrimp flies. Since I was already near the end, I opted to paddle back through the kelp bed, tie on another leader, and get back to fishing. I also noticed the wind had picked up a bit. It wasn't causing much problem, but it was pushing my drift along much faster than I wanted to go. I HATE the wind....

I had lost the only big Kastmaster I had, so I opted for a 3oz jig, and threaded on a swimbait that I had originally planned on using back at the tournament in Georgia a couple months ago. It wasn't "supposed" to be on a jig, but I didn't care. I bounced it up and down along the kayak a couple times, and the tail action was great. I scented the bait, and both shrimp flies with a lil squid oil, and sent it back down.

The jig hadn't even hit bottom when I had a hit. I brought the line [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/yakfish.isaac-online.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2010\/05\/IMG_0400-300x225.jpg"}[/IMG2]back up and found a lil 10" black rockfish. Hey! It was about time I saw a rockfish! He was a tiny little guy though, so I thought I'd try doing what I've heard others do so many times - Send the rockfish back down, still attached to the hook, and try to find LingZilla.

Barely my jig tapped bottom. Once. Twice. BAM! My rod was doubled over. This had to be it! I tried to lift my rod up a bit to begin the fight when SNAP! Over just as quick as it began. My adrenaline was pumping and so quickly I was disappointed. I brought the line up, and found the rockfish missing, but both shrimpflies intact. My jig, however, was missing. Wow. That had to have been some fish.

I tied on another jig, paddled back to the beginning of the beds, and started my jig again. I was fighting the wind some more, and starting to curse at it. My line shaked yet again, but I was pretty sure this wasn't anything major. Up to the boat came a 15" rockfish. That's much better! There are a couple good fish tacos in that one! That fish went onto the stringer, instead of back in the water.

I still had more than half the kelp bed to cover, and I knew it wasn't going to take too long. I dropped the line back down, fought the wind a bit, and started to think about calling it a day. Pelican Brewing is right on the beach, next to where I parked, and I knew a good ale and a sandwich would be an excellent end to the day.

Again, my rod doubled over

[YOUTUBE]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Unt2F2hkAbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&co lor2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Unt2F2hkAbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&co lor2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Can you tell I was a little excited?!? Yeah, that's awesome. I didn't know the lens was buggered up, so I apologize for that. But, yeah, the jig I had lost, was back in the gullet of that fish.

I tried to make another pass through the kelp bed after that. What to you know, I snagged up again and lost the jig. Lame. That's it, time to call it done. After getting the kayak situated and all the fish bled, I started to make my way back to the beach. I hadn't seen Madoc in awhile and wasn't sure where he was. I had wanted to check in, let him know I was headed out, and to meet me at Pelican if he wanted. Just as I set off, I looked back and saw him fishing the South side of the Haystack. Brilliant man! He was out of the wind.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/yakfish.isaac-online.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2010\/05\/pc-300x167.jpg"}[/IMG2]I circled back to watch him pick up a black rockfish and we compared stringers. He wasn't exactly done, but was getting close to it. Even on the lee side he was getting pushed around enough.

I made it back through the surf unscathed, and practiced a bit of bracing just for the heck of it. Sure enough, after loading the car, putting the fish on ice, etc, I found myself at Pelican for a Reuben and a pint of one of the seasonals - Angler Amber

How appropriate

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/yakfish.isaac-online.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2010\/05\/IMG_0406-300x225.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited by a moderator:
Admin
Admin
What a great report!!! :clap::clap::clap:

C
Cohosanders
:clap:Nice job bro. You were OUT there having a blast I am sure:D Great report/story/pics./video:dance:

O
Outdoor_Myers
Awesome report! and story and videos I was enthralled and want to go and try to catch some of those type of fish sometime! You need to brag about that whole loosing lure in the Ocean! and catching a fish that had your lure in the Ocean! that is Nuts!

K
koboabe
nice work man

T
The Nothing
thanks all!
definitely had a good time, even if I spent more time getting there and back than I did on the water. If I didn't have to deal with a physical therapy appt today (who says i'm not supposed to be kayak fishing) I would have been back out there...

T
the_intimidator03
Nice job, I am curious what kind of kayak do you use? i have seen the ones you sit on top and the ones that you sit IN. I have thought about getting a kayak more than canoe but with the several types of kayaks im a bit confused

B
BlackBass
Very nice report , thanks for sharing your day with us.

S
skunk
Excellent report, I'm thinking of heading out friday, looks like it should be good. Report calls for 2' waves also, I need some fresh salt fish.

M
Markcanby
I have thought about doing the same thing but I dont have a kayak. How rough is it getting out? Could you do it in a pontoon?

T
Throbbit _Shane
very nice report and pictures!!!!!!!!!!! looks like a blast :D :)

N
nwkiller
that was an amazing thread, way to go man, i am so jelouse right now, when do i get the invite??? i love fishing the coast and your day just reminded me of endless time ive had there, awsome fish, videos and pictures way to go!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey thats a great report man. Nice fish!

T
The Nothing
could ya do it in a pontoon?

yeah, you probably could, but I'd not rush into it. Gotta remember, it's a cold wet ride, and if you don't get in and out through the surf just right, you'll end up cold and wet. If you're gear isn't stowed right, it might be gone. There's a good amount of stuff that goes into launching through the surf... I wear dry gear so i'm waterproof, i have gps and a VHF radio. You also need to be seen - remember, the Dory guys go in and out through the same water, and there HAVE been serious collisions. All my gear is stored inside my kayak, and if it doesn't fit inside, its strapped down on the outside, and leashed too (yep, double attachments).

I've never used a pontoon, so I couldn't really tell ya yes or no, but I can tell you to think it over a lot.

My kayak is a Ocean Kayak Trident. Its a sit on type style, which is what you'll see about 90+% kayak anglers using. They're more stable than sit ins, offer easier rigging and storage, easier access to the whole kayak, easier to get in and out. Their downside is that they are heavier than most sit ins, and aren't as fast.

I
INSAYN
Not to scare anyone away from trying.....but, I would not recommend anyone attempt a surf launch in a pontoon boat unless it was at least 12 foot long, and the person could row it at least 3mph in the forward direction for 30 to 40 seconds over breakers. I don't think it would be wise to try and row backwards into the ocean.

Getting out through ankle slappers is one thing, but punching out on day with 3 to 6 head high breakers would probably flip a toon over, and injure the occupant and create a heck of yard sale. A low riding 13+ foot long kayak has the ability to get up to speed quickly, and punch through the top section of a breaker with a better chance of success than the average toon boat could.

Coming back through the surf zone towards the beach would be an interesting deal as well. Not sure how well a toon would hold up being hit by a breaker towards shore. I would imagine, you would want to be rowing backwards towards shore with your eyes on the ocean. It's hard to say what would be the best approach, I guess? Toons just don't have the speed to negotiate that area.

Again, a kayak operator has the option to turn parallel with the waves upon beaching to brace and basically ride the face of the wave in sideways. Although not the easiest thing to do, it is accomplished with practice.

S
Shadelady
Isaac,
way to go my friend!!! i'd be abe to write more, but i am busy kicking myself for having taken our Yak out on town lake and getting nothing for it. i sure would like to see the launching, and passing out through the zone, just to see if i thought we could manage it. if you can give me a heads up next time!! great fish, great report, you da Man!

M
Markcanby
INSAYN said:
Not to scare anyone away from trying.....but, I would not recommend anyone attempt a surf launch in a pontoon boat unless it was at least 12 foot long, and the person could row it at least 3mph in the forward direction for 30 to 40 seconds over breakers. I don't think it would be wise to try and row backwards into the ocean.

Getting out through ankle slappers is one thing, but punching out on day with 3 to 6 head high breakers would probably flip a toon over, and injure the occupant and create a heck of yard sale. A low riding 13+ foot long kayak has the ability to get up to speed quickly, and punch through the top section of a breaker with a better chance of success than the average toon boat could.

Coming back through the surf zone towards the beach would be an interesting deal as well. Not sure how well a toon would hold up being hit by a breaker towards shore. I would imagine, you would want to be rowing backwards towards shore with your eyes on the ocean. It's hard to say what would be the best approach, I guess? Toons just don't have the speed to negotiate that area.

Again, a kayak operator has the option to turn parallel with the waves upon beaching to brace and basically ride the face of the wave in sideways. Although not the easiest thing to do, it is accomplished with practice.

Thats realy what I was asking. What are the waves like on a calm day? I wouldnt try it with more then 2' breakers. The only time I have ever been to P City there really wernt any waves. I figure that all the big Island "rock" most keep the waves down a bit.

I
INSAYN
A launch with minimal waves pretty much requires a swell (small at that) out of the North. The cape will protect the launch area near the North end of the beach closest to the cape. These kinds of days seem to be limited, and other factors can creep up on ya. Say you have a lake like launch one day and you are able to successfully row out past the "surf" zone on your 'toon. Once you are out there, how comfortable are you at rowing 3/4 of mile and still have the mojo to fish? Now, say you make it out to Haystack and start your fishing. Occasional swells come through that can catch a kayak off guard, may make a 'toon unstable if hit from the wrong angle.

Just something to rememeber, this is the ocean and it's her game, played by her rules.

The wind will usually start to pick up at one point or another during the day and I'm not sure how 'toons react to wind, but kayaks get to drifting if we sit broadside to the wind. Being higher up off the water, and having a larger surface area for the wind to work against, I would venture to guess the 'toon would take to drifting pretty easy. Once drifting too fast, it's harder to keep your jigging vertical. Not to say you have to jig at all, as I have caught most of my rockfish by just casting a 4" - 5" shad swimbait with a 1oz- 3oz lead head and allowing it to sink a few seconds and retrieving it. Keep doing this with various levels of sink time, and you may find the suspended fish, all while drifting. Once you are ready to come in, you have to row with, against, or broadside to the wind. Depending on how comfortable you are with this, it may be alright. Once you hit the surf zone again, you want to make sure you don't have anything loose that can get lost if you dump it, and that you don't have any ropes or lines that you can get tangled in if you get dumped.

One more thing to consider is that the 'toon is balloon, and out there we use big hooks. If your balloons are not hook proof, you may be in for an adventure if you have a ling spit a lure, and you snag your toon putting a hole in it. The water is cold out there year round, so keep this in mind.

Z
ZeeBorn
Sweet thread and way to go with the fish! I really need to get set up to do that. Do you ever throw some crab pots out while you fish?

T
The Nothing
All the crabbing I've done has been with other peoples crab traps... I just got my own monday thanks to the Fishermans sale