Oxbow Park

B
bigdog
kirkster said:
are you talking about CC ? or where you are fishing tomorrow:think:

Getting ready to head to pipeline area this morning myself. Don't have Toms number to call him to get him to go this morning.

F
Fishtopher
Good luck man. Gotta take the kids to the dentist or Id hit it with ya. Thats right. KidS! Going to be exciting. Both kids just HATE the dentist.

B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:
Good luck man. Gotta take the kids to the dentist or Id hit it with ya. Thats right. KidS! Going to be exciting. Both kids just HATE the dentist.

Yeah you have fun with that one man lol sorry wish you could come out and play.

M
Mike123
bigdog said:
Should try getting out there with youngbuck and myself one of these times when we go out there. We aren't no experts but always seem to get in to some fish.

I'd love to! Thing is i live 2 hours away, so I don't make too many trips.
I think I may be fishing with Osmosis here soon. Think it's going to be better after the river raises? Next time I have free time and can make the trip I'll PM ya.

B
bigdog
Mike123 said:
I'd love to! Thing is i live 2 hours away, so I don't make too many trips.
I think I may be fishing with Osmosis here soon. Think it's going to be better after the river raises? Next time I have free time and can make the trip I'll PM ya.

Well there is a good thing for you, I'm sure Osmosis will be able to put you on to some fish. Good guy with good know how.

M
masmith
Well, hit oxbow park today. I didn't know a couple of things that would have helped to know:

1. It is a pay to enter park.
2. They shut the gate at 6:40 when they think it is dark (it isn't dark at 6:40...)

So we got there around 4, the water level was real low, so hiked up about a half mile. Found a good spot, lots of coho rolling, jumping. Ran eggs and threw blue fox spinners. No success, pretty sure I had 1 hit on the eggs, maybe a tail whack. Bobber when down real quick, but came back up just as quick (it wasn't a snag), couldn't set the hook.

I think next week it will be nuts after a few days of rain. Is there any public no-fee access on the sandy? I don't like paying to fish, and I don't like worrying about a damn gate closing on me during daylight.

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Your best bet for that then would be to drive along the sandy and when you see a spot that looks like a pull over spot hit it. Most parks and easy to get to places that have gates are going to be closing them gates around the same time. Have to think the people that are opening and closing the gates have homes and famillies to get to just like the rest of us.

As for the bobber down in most cases if the fish don't like the eggs they are going to be that fast about it.

Good luck hope you have better luck next time.

M
masmith
bigdog said:
Your best bet for that then would be to drive along the sandy and when you see a spot that looks like a pull over spot hit it. Most parks and easy to get to places that have gates are going to be closing them gates around the same time. Have to think the people that are opening and closing the gates have homes and famillies to get to just like the rest of us.

As for the bobber down in most cases if the fish don't like the eggs they are going to be that fast about it.

Good luck hope you have better luck next time.

makes sense.

K
Kage
So, didn't get moved into my new house this weekend sooo instead we went camping at Oxbow Park. Figured i'd get some fishing in while i was there and got my lures stripped off my line instead haha Headed home but finally picked up the Fishing In Oregon book so i'm happy bout that. i think now i need to really learn a good amt of knots as well, and educate myself on habits of the fish here.

C
chrisohm
Knots are the easy part but depends on your line and what you like. Ask the old guys about fish habits! They have been tossin em on the bank while we were still crawling. What do you mean by your lures were stripped off? I have fished the Sandy before and some of those rocks are mean, they absolutely hate fishing line....

K
Kage
The only knots I know at all is a slipknot and the knot I can't remember the name of but it's always printed on the back of the package of hooks. I'm sure I didn't secure a knot and the line basically slipped off the treble I had attached. I might pass on fishin rivers until I can get more learn some solid knots and line setups. The way I would setup my line before is to tie a hook to the end of a line, add a split shot weight a foot or two above it and a be done with it cuz it works in the ocean. I'm new to freshwater fishing so I'm basically crawlin when I really want to be runnin haha

C_Run
C_Run
I used to only know one knot. Now I know two or three. Get Bill Herzog's book "Tying Strong Fishing Knots" about $6.00 at the sporting goods stores. It will make you feel like a genius, I guarantee, and you'll have confidence in your knots. At least I can sit and pre-tie as much as possible at home while looking at the pictures. That speeds things up in the field a lot especially for someone like me who needs reading glasses to make a knot anymore.

K
Kage
thanx for the advice, i was thinkin of pickin up a book for knots. i seen the links in some threads here for animated knots so i'm gonna use that as a guide and hopefully memorize them. although it would be nice to have a book handy when i'm out and about or get fuzzy tryin to remember.