Oxbow or bust

K
Kage
So as I have been advised by several people I shall stay the course and fish a section of water until I've learned every bit of that stretch of river. I also have joined up with the NW Steelheaders to learn as much as I can from those members. I'm excited about the group and can't wait to get out there again. I'll need to get some more jigs in different colors so I can present different offerings. I'll be there on Fridays, so maybe I'll see you guys out there.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
Past president Jeff Stoeger is still a member of the Sandy Chapter and guides part time on the Sandy and the coast. Jeff Kirkman is another member of the Sandy Chapter and goes by the name of Artwo on this site. He and Jeff Stoeger put on free fishing clinics all the time. Get to know these two guys.

K
Kage
Thanks Dizzy for all of the advice you've given me. I hope to learn as much as I can from as many people that I meet. I'll get in touch with them when I can. I feel like I'm taking my first step into a bigger world.

Artwo
Artwo
Kage,
Welcome to the Steelheader's, did you join the Sandy chapter?

I haven't been able to attend the last couple meetings due to schedule, but next time I'm there I'll make sure to look you up here first and arrange a meet. As Dizzy said above, Jeff S. is guiding now so if that's something you might be interested in I can get you his contact info. He tailors his trips on education, showing you what works for him and where to fish it. He's also a hell of a good guy and will fish his butt off for ya. He also works part time at the Hayden Meadows Fisherman's store at the fishing counter so if you happen to be in there you could look him up. I'm just a guy that fish's a lot and have been fishing the Sandy for over 30 years now so I have some ideas of places and things that work for me. Feel free to ask about anything you need, both Jeff S. and I fish the Oxbow area a lot, as well as other places quite a bit, so I'm sure we can point you in the right direction and help out with tech stuff.

K
Kage
Hey Artwo, thanks I'm excited about having joined and yes it was the Sandy chapter since I've fished it the most and live in town. I don't know what to expect from the meetings or even how I enter or anything. I'm waiting for info on that kind of stuff so I'll be prepared for the next meeting. It would be great to meet up and learn the ropes. I can't afford to get together with a guide so that wouldn't be an option at least for now. I plan on fishing at Oxbow pretty much every Friday off the campgrounds. This coming Friday a co-worker and I are gonna float fish that section. He's landed a chinook there and has some experience so it'll be a learning experience for me to see if I'm doing things right or wrong. I think I need to expand the color variety of jigs I have before I head out there.

Artwo
Artwo
Look forward to meeting you at the meetings Kage..............

Winter steelhead jig colors that work for me have been 1/4 oz (1/8 oz on lower water) standard black/red nightmare, white head/black-red nightmare, and my go to color Maxi pink/white with 2 red beads on the body.........

Good luck on your float, some good water up there............

K
Kage
I went out and got a dozen jigs of different color variations and will try to fish them tomorrow before work and on Friday. What is considered low/high water? I don't know if that bit of rain we got would raise river levels enough for fish to move up and hold where I'll be at but I hope so. I've read/heard that steelhead will hold in waters between 2-8 ft of water but what about deeper holes? How do you go about fishing those? Just more weight to get to the bottom?

Artwo
Artwo
Kage said:
I went out and got a dozen jigs of different color variations and will try to fish them tomorrow before work and on Friday. What is considered low/high water? I don't know if that bit of rain we got would raise river levels enough for fish to move up and hold where I'll be at but I hope so. I've read/heard that steelhead will hold in waters between 2-8 ft of water but what about deeper holes? How do you go about fishing those? Just more weight to get to the bottom?

Here is the water level gauge I use for the Sandy http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pqr&gage=sndo3

Optimum level I think is about 10.5 ft. for the Oxbow area...........

I typically don't steelhead fish in water deeper than what you stated using standard bobber/jig, bobber/beads, drift fishing, spinner methods........

Good luck Friday..........

K
Kage
Thanks for the info Artwo, this trip has now turned into a group outing. Two co-workers/brothers are gonna meet up with me and we're gonna fish around Oxbow. I've got plenty of jigs and they'll be bringing some Mad River worms of different colors. Between the 3 of us hopefully we'll have something to show for this trip.